The Organ of Corti. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just a judgment of a question

The Question is

"Explain the importance of the organ of Corti for communication by sound of mammals"

The organ of corti is embedded in the basculiar membrane. It contains haircells which came in contact with other membranes called the tectorial membrane. The function is when the vibration travel from the stirrup in the middle ear to the oval window in the inner ear, they convert waves, in the fluid filled chamber in the cochlea. The round window allows the cochlea to buldge outwards allowing the movement in the liquid, this motion of the liquid stimulate the different cells within the organ of corti, depending on the frequency or magnitude of the sound waves. The haircells transmit an electrical signal to the brain via the auditory nerve which intrepret as sound.

this question is out of 5..

Last edited:
HSC
I've seen this question and there weird because wtf are you supposed to write for 5 marks.

What you've written is basically what I've seen as sample answers for this type of question. They go through everything and then get to organ of corti.

HSC
I've seen this question and there weird because wtf are you supposed to write for 5 marks.

What you've written is basically what I've seen as sample answers for this type of question. They go through everything and then get to organ of corti.
Yea man, I also thought this question is also a bit sketchy.The thing is pissing me off is that I got 2/5 for this and I was like what is else is needed to get the full mark, and then I thought maybe I should have included that the organ of corti is responsible of the transportation of sound (send signal to the brain) and detection of sound (creating frequency from hair cells).

What do u think..

There is another question like this about Cataract..

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I would start of explaining the process in general and then getting into details when the stimulus reaches the cochlea. Also, you may want to say cilia instead of hair cells :)
Further, you didn't give a reason as to why it is important, which is what the question specifically asked :)

HSC
I would start of explaining the process in general and then getting into details when the stimulus reaches the cochlea. Also, you may want to say cilia instead of hair cells :)
Further, you didn't give a reason as to why it is important, which is what the question specifically asked :)
Ahh okay.. I get it

So, the structure of the question should of been

'Sound enters the pinna then to the ......blah blah blah... ossicles ...blah blah blah....oval window....blah blah blah.' Then the mention of the above and to finish it off ' the organ of corti is responsible of the transportation of sound (send signal to the brain) and detection of sound (creating frequency from cillia ) if it wasnt for this sound can be processed nor detected..

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Ahh okay.. I get it

So, the structure of the question should of been

'Sound enters the pinna then to the ......blah blah blah... ossicles ...blah blah blah....oval window....blah blah blah.' Then the mention of the above and to finish it off ' the organ of corti is responsible of the transportation of sound (send signal to the brain) and detection of sound (creating frequency from cillia ) if it wasnt for this sound can be processed nor detected..
Something along the lines of that, frequency in particular would not be able to be distinguished without it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)