The old stuff (1 Viewer)

urf

Just urf
Green Hell (It's like every hell...but kinda green
HSC
I do know that this is not nessary for the HSC but...
I just realised the other day that I have absolutely no idea how to do long-division and long-multiplication, I was expecting to be able to do it really easy, being a primary school subject and all but these two areas are bloody difficult. I do remember being able to do these when I was about 12 years old but I have zero idea on how to do this. And now it's really bugging me.

My question is:
Does anyone actually remember this stuff??

FinalFantasy

HSC
i used to not know long division until we did polynomials in 4unit and i learnt it back:)
but "long multiplication"... wat u mean lol?
multiplication u just "do it"

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
urf said:
Long multiplication is multiplication done on paper where both numbers being multiplied have two or more digits (i.e. ten or above).
You might need to know how to do long division for polynomials, I think.

Eg. When you need to find whether (x - 1) is a factor of x3 + 5x2 + 2x + 17, etc. But then again, you can just sub x = 1 into the equation... :rolleyes:

For everything else, you can use a calculator. I don't think it's that important. However, it isn't hard to learn, so learn it anyway. ;)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
urf said:
This is all on paper we're talking about. You cant tell me you dont remember learning it in year 6.
I barely remember year 11.

FinalFantasy

HSC
yea i know wat u mean now
but u can just do it the "algebraic way" lol
just do it normally for multiplication
long division would be useful though

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You probably wont need either for 2 unit mathematics, but long division comes useful in 3 unit polynomials, although often there would be a method to avoid using it, sometimes its unavoidable. As for long multiplication, due to the presence of a calculator and no non-calculator sections in the exam, there would be no place where you would have to do the multiplications on paper. That being said, knowing both methods wont hurt you in any way.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Oh in that case, I remember 'long multiplication', im kind of weird with long division. I have no problems doing long division algebraically but I have problems doing it with numbers, mainly because I never did maths at all in primary school and hence never learnt it.

FinalFantasy

HSC
acmilan said:
Oh in that case, I remember 'long multiplication', im kind of weird with long division. I have no problems doing long division algebraically but I have problems doing it with numbers, mainly because I never did maths at all in primary school and hence never learnt it.
aye, same w\ me!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I know long division, long multiplication and involution. I often use them, too. they're not useless.

switchblade87

HSC
What the...

It's not too hard to do long multiplication and long division...

Slide Rule said:
I know long division, long multiplication and involution. I often use them, too. they're not useless.
I'm a bit disturbed at Slide Rule however, I looked up involution, and among other things, a prominent definition is:

Contractions of the uterus following childbirth that return it to its prebirth size and shape.

You use them often, eh?
I'm thinking he really means:

In mathematics, an involution is a function that is its own inverse, so that
f(f(x)) = x for all x in the domain of f.
Courtesy of Wikipedia. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)