The Official Swimming Thread (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Can you suggest any exercises for each of them? I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to things like these.
Tricep - Dips, holding a dumbell behind your head, then straightening your arm above your head in streamline position

Pectorals - Pushups and chinups (but your hands are holding the bar such that the back of your hand is facing you, unlike normal chinups)

Thighs - Squats with weights, running up and down lots of stairs, 2 at a time.

Core - Lie on back in streamline position, raise feet (keep them straight) 10cm above ground for as long as possible. Rest and repeat.

I forgot to mention shoulders:

Shoulders - Raise arms parallel to floor and perpendicular to your body in a T shape. Make small circles with you hands by waving your arms around slightly. Rotate them fast.

Mind you, these are only a couple of exercises. There are a plethora of them out there, and the ones I mentioned are the ones we use most often.

These exercises are aimed at building endurance (which is what swimming is all about), rather than just building muscle and getting 'shredded'.

russ3l

HSC
Can you suggest any exercises for each of them? I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to things like these.

just do a lot of running, bike and core stuff :) you don't want to get in the water and notice that you have no cardio endurance in you.

e.g. (assuming it is at the gym or somewhere....)

morning- 5km run + 30 reps of situps, pushups, and squats

afternoon- bike for 1hr + 30 reps of situps, pushups and squats

if you want, you can either increase the time, reps or distance (whatever you feel will push you). And you also can put weights on your chest while you do situps, or a bench press bar on your shoulders when you squat.

+stretching, right technique blah blah blah

Examine

same
HSC
Plus how does stretching help? Never got why it did.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Plus how does stretching help? Never got why it did.
If you're inflexible, your range of movement is restricted.

If your range of movement is restricted, you have to make a physical effort to actually reach some positions in your stroke.

This wastes energy, effort and focus that could be better diverted to the actual race.

russ3l

HSC
pretty much what carrotsticks said, and also (might not happen but) if youre more flexible on one side of your leg/arm than the other, your strokes can get retarded.
plus swimming is all about flexibility and you can drop a lot of time by just having a good stretch before :)

russ3l

HSC
If I tell you, it would be all too easy to find me irl :p

I'm a very fast sprint kicker, but not so great when it comes to 1km kick sets (unless I'm on a roll)
i ounce did 3x (5x200 kick on 3.20).....i didn't function that day at school

Examine

same
HSC
In sprints do you concentrate in kicking your legs strongly?

russ3l

HSC
im assuming youre referring to the school swimming season...right? if so, make sure you limit your breathing for freestyle and butterfly :)

Examine

same
HSC
How many strokes until you breathe? I just do 3 stroke breathing, I've never thought about it.

russ3l

HSC
How many strokes until you breathe? I just do 3 stroke breathing, I've never thought about it.
that is usually the conventional way of when we learn freestyle, but when you start to get more competitive and experienced you start to learn that not breathing will make you go faster in a 50m.

I breathe on average 2-3 times in a 50 for freestyle and fly

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
that is usually the conventional way of when we learn freestyle, but when you start to get more competitive and experienced you start to learn that not breathing will make you go faster in a 50m.

I breathe on average 2-3 times in a 50 for freestyle and fly
Two days ago we did these drills where we had 4x(4x50's), only 6/5/4/3 breaths per lap.

For the next 30 minutes, I was breathing every 8 because I got used to breathing every 12 or so lol.

Gonzalo

HSC
N/A
Why did you stop?
I stoped swimming becuase I wanted to do a team sport. The sport I play now (waterpolo) inloves swimming but I don't specifically train for swimming anymore. I am still a quick swimmer tho

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Watching the swimming right now.

Trickett getting back in the game.

Examine

same
HSC
Steph Rice 29 seconds for the first 50m Butterfly in a 400IM, wow..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)