The Official QMA Hate Thread (2 Viewers)

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
There's no point exerting your intellectual superiority over a course that isnt even going to exist next year....
lols I still have a friend who has to complete QMA under the old degree requirements. But yeah... amalgamating QMA & QMB may be for the better. If they cut out matrices I'm sure students will find the subject much easier.

Oh and just a heads up for those of you who are doing QMB this semester, if you're doing FINS1613 soon, you'll come across 3 weeks of stuff which is based on QMB (standard deviation, variation and etc); Risk and Return, CAPM (Capital Asset Pricing Model) in particular. So absorb as much as you can now, so that you can bludge during lectures when studying FINS1613.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Is there anything in that which is complex? Seriously anything?
Well, statistically nearly 1 in 3 people who do QMA are expected to fail. Surely you're not judging the difficulty of the course by reading the names of the topic??

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
lols I still have a friend who has to complete QMA under the old degree requirements. But yeah... amalgamating QMA & QMB may be for the better. If they cut out matrices I'm sure students will find the subject much easier.

Oh and just a heads up for those of you who are doing QMB this semester, if you're doing FINS1613 soon, you'll come across 3 weeks of stuff which is based on QMB (standard deviation, variation and etc); Risk and Return, CAPM (Capital Asset Pricing Model) in particular. So absorb as much as you can now, so that you can bludge during lectures when studying FINS1613.
What is FINS1613 like? I was thinking of doing it over the summer if possible.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
What is FINS1613 like? I was thinking of doing it over the summer if possible.
It's not that bad so far. I understand everything up to this moment, and it's basically just QMA & QMB revision. I think the hard part is coming up with raising capital but compared to other FINS subjects, apparently the stuff we come across is baby stuff.

The topics we've covered so far include calculating NPV and IRR, Risk & Return, Capital Budgeting, nothing seriously hard. This is probably the one time which I will recommend this course to be taken over the summer holidays. If you do your homework and readings for each week you'll get a D as a bare minimum.

miaowsha

HSC
There's no point exerting your intellectual superiority over a course that isnt even going to exist next year....
Isn't like QMB it just going to be renamed so that people doing the old commerce degree can do it?

Also, on the commerce website, QMA is still the prerequisite to QMB. Perhaps they shall change that.

Well, statistically nearly 1 in 3 people who do QMA are expected to fail. Surely you're not judging the difficulty of the course by reading the names of the topic??
Assumed knowledge is a mark of 60% or higher in 2unit maths. Maybe lots of people who didn't do maths try to do the course?

Also, does everyone do their homework and readings? This would make a difference.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Assumed knowledge is a mark of 60% or higher in 2unit maths. Maybe lots of people who didn't do maths try to do the course?
Im pretty sure at least 90% of the cohort has done at least 2 unit maths and probably at a high level (higher than 60% at least) since of the commerce/eco cut offs.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
^I don't think that's applicable, otherwise you won't be able to explain the difference between the fail rate in QMA and other commerce subjects. Fail rate in QMA is still relatively high.

onholidays

HSC
^I don't think that's applicable, otherwise you won't be able to explain the difference between the fail rate in QMA and other commerce subjects. Fail rate in QMA is still relatively high.
I think doing your homework is extremely applicable...I know I wouldn't have hated QMA as much if I had just done my homework and actually changed my attitude towards maths...I remember hating maths for like forever until I decided to get serious and really put my head down to it in senior school...and what happened? Lo and behold, I ranked fourth in the whole cohort of Extension plus 2Unit maths peeps by the end of the HSC...and mind you, our school is considered a pretty darn good school.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
People who complain that QMA is death are just simply not puting enough effort.

Matrices were shit easy and fun (especially using excel for it). I loved qma (but didn't like qmb due to tutor) so yeah. go figure ;O

Having a good tutor helps a lot

miaowsha

HSC
Im pretty sure at least 90% of the cohort has done at least 2 unit maths and probably at a high level (higher than 60% at least) since of the commerce/eco cut offs.
Hmm, I do know a few girls who are doing commerce but haven't done maths at all past year 10 and are struggling with QMA... It's not that uncommon... They got in via hsc...

loler

HSC
QMA is fuckedd. Its not the content, it is the way the questions are asked and you have to figure which concept you have to use. The final exam usally tests mainly the last 4 lectures (the real hard shit), so dont bother alot on weeks 1-8. basically if your not on 30/40 going into the final dont bother ull be doing it again the next semester. If you get matrices start cheering they are easy marks in the final compared to the other questions asked.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
QMA is fuckedd. Its not the content, it is the way the questions are asked and you have to figure which concept you have to use. The final exam usally tests mainly the last 4 lectures (the real hard shit), so dont bother alot on weeks 1-8. basically if your not on 30/40 going into the final dont bother ull be doing it again the next semester. If you get matrices start cheering they are easy marks in the final compared to the other questions asked.
QMA is probably a bit harder than 2U maths but easier than 3U. If u arent extremely bad at maths and do the required work (like 2~hrs of study a week) you should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)