The Official Miscellaneous Late Night SBS Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
Lundy said:
I <3 SBS. .

It must be part of one of their 'seasons.' I'm guessing it's 'American indie' season because they're showing The Virgin Suicides next week.
i hated virgin suicides so boring. but donnie darko i love :D

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Lundy said:
I <3 SBS. .

It must be part of one of their 'seasons.' I'm guessing it's 'American indie' season because they're showing The Virgin Suicides next week.
they've been showing more popular "indie" flicks lately, a few weeks ago they had amelie on.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
God I hated that movie. I just wanted to punch Audrey Tautou's face in.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
In the past couple of years SBS has been giving a lot more attention to the highly acclaimed, relatively popular international and independent American movies than it had in the past. It's been showing Amelie every couple of months lately. I'm surprised they haven't done the same with Life is Beautiful so far.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Lundy said:
(I saw both those movies. 2LDK was hilarious in it's complete over-the-topness.)

The last noteworthy movie I caught on SBS was Lilja 4-eva, a Swedish film.

The premise: The story of a young Estonian girl, 16-year-old Lilja, abandoned when her mother flys to America to live with her boyfriend. Forced out of home and now living in poverty in a squalid apartment block, she turns to prostitution and is befriended by a young boy called Volodjia, who has been kicked out of home. Their friendship blooms before she meets a guy called Andrej, whom she falls in love with and looks forward to going with him to Sweden to start a new life. Leaving Volodjia behind, she flys to Sweden to meet one of Andrej's "friends" on the promise that Andrej will meet up with her later. Locked into a small apartment, she soon realises she's been lured into sex slavery, forced to sleep with a myriad of men without pay.

From its beginning to end it's a very depressing film, the overall hopelessness of the character's situations is only heightened by the bleak, colourless surrounds of its settings. The shaky hand-held camera adds to its dire realism. But the platonic friendship between Lilja and Volodjia (the only character in the movie who doesn't betray her in some way or another) is very sweet. Volodjia is the only character with the foresight to warn Lilja against going to Sweden. His fate, without giving too much away, is as lonely and pathetic as Lilja's. The two young actors are brilliant. Child traffiking in the former Soviet Union isn't of much concern outside of Europe, but it's harrowing to realise that the movie is based on a true account of a very real situation there. Anyway, good movie.
i wanted to watch that when it was at Dendy 3 years ago. i was out the night it was on SBS. :(
i love how SBS puts on alot of good arthouse films but i'm not a tv person so i usually miss them.

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
WOOOT! I KNOW IT'S ANIME... BUT THE BEBOP MOVIE WAS ON ON THURSDAY!!! WOOOT!!!!

I remember a movie that I saw about a month back late one night, a French teen-movie called 'Sexy Boys'. The movie itself wasn't great or even good in any way barring the inclusion of a very sexy Armelle Deutsch as a cynical/sarcastic single mother. I fell in love the moment I saw her!

Anyone else seen it?

Iceman07

HSC
hey has anyone seen this movie l'm desparate and have been looking for ages. I know this fourms hasnt been active in a while but anyways it was shown earlier in the year its an asian movie. MA 15+

LOL anyways umm its about this kid who lives a hard life with his mother and this father just moved in on the other side and i think he got a new wife. well i dunno if its his wife but shes some rich girl who just moved in. anyways i think its his father or uncle. and the main character feels love for some girl with this gurl but he ends up hitting it off with his fathers/uncles wife.

it was too much temptation when she asked him to give her some kind of ice bath. he gets the ice and sides in on her and lol yea they done it and shit rofl aiight moving on. its been a while i only seen like a little bit of it so my memory is a little fussy anyone know what its called? kind of a classic looking asian movie

hmm the main character is probably a teenage and his got this pimp kind of brother. It was on pretty late and early in the year again i forget the name its something short and simple most likely to be a Lao movie or thai a classic one too sorry i couldnt have explained it much better but i only watched a little bit of it

oh and his father/uncle's wife has this B**** as daughter who bosses everyone arounds and trys to make ppls kick this guy out of the house cause he done it with her mum

Last edited:

pinknails500

HSC
Umm the best one ive ever seen was Evil from Sweden i think it was, starring Andreas wilson(he is a god) but it was just an absolutely beautiful story at the end, cos it was kinda confronting and brutal during the middle but i seriously wuld reccomend it.

Foxodi

HSC
A documentary on child/cheap labour in china. It followed a story of a 14-15 ?yr old girl, who left her rural family to find a job in the city to support her family. She made jeans at like 30c an hour or something. 12 hour shifts?, had like 2 5min breaks in it and they'd often work 2 shifts in a row. I found it interesting ^^.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)