The official IR reform thread! (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bosses 'can pay when they like'

Joyce gives nod to new workplace laws
IR laws set to pass with key changes
Joyce heeds farmers over unions

Changes go too far, say businesses

Union 'OK' to holiday trade-offs
Gah! I just wish that the fools would stop using AWAs or collective agreements creached under the current system as examples for what the future may hold, because we all know that the reduction in allowable matters will in time create a system that in no way resembles that of today. However, in a world of partisan politics, such flimsy and misleading arguments are to be expected (from all quarters, one may say).

Working on Christmas is no penalty

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Alot of the people who are well-off today are those who took out a trade and put in alot of hard yards, buying up some investment property, maybe starting their own business...
These people are not really what you would call a 'professional class', at least not in Australia.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Barnaby backs IR laws

The Federal Government is set to carry out its major workplace reforms after winning the critical backing of Nationals senator Barnaby Joyce.

Senator Joyce said Workplace Relations Minister Kevin Andrews had agreed to amend the Work Choices legislation to meet his concerns about public holidays, unfair dismissal laws and regular pay periods for workers.

The Government also has agreed to make seven changes to the legislation as suggested by the Senate committee which held an inquiry earlier this month into its workplace reforms.

Asked if he would now back the legislation in the Senate, Senator Joyce said he would as long as the final document properly reflected what he negotiated with Mr Andrews.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Joyce to support workplace laws

MARK COLVIN: The Federal Government's new workplace laws are now almost a certainty after the Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce said he could now see his way clear to voting for them.

The Coalition party room is expected to approve the changes tonight.

Senator Joyce says he's happy with the Government's response to his demands on IR.

That paves the way for the legislation to pass the Senate in this fortnight's sitting of Parliament.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Alot of the people who are well-off today are those who took out a trade and put in alot of hard yards, buying up some investment property, maybe starting their own business...
These people are not really what you would call a 'professional class', at least not in Australia.
I tend to agree. If anything there was need for reform for small businesses.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't call stripping however many million people of their unfar dismissal rights for the simple fact that are employed within a small business an act of reform.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Work laws forced through Senate

The rush of debate yesterday angered Labor and the minor parties, but they were powerless to slow it.

They were overwhelmed by the Government releasing 337 legislative amendments just 35 minutes before it guillotined debate at noon.

The quantity of amendments, mostly technical, surprised senators, given the drafting and legislation of WorkChoices cost an estimated $131 million.
Bloody hell!

IR rush 'dangerous': Democrats
Restructures could side-step IR laws: expert - An interesting report.
Qld unions launch wage case

Last edited:

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
337? God knows what they could have thrown in there with all of that. There was probably no need for that many amendments either, rather just throwing in a ton of minor readjustments to keep Labor scrambling long enough for the thirty-five minutes to expire in order to keep the real nasties hidden. That bizarre 'Employers Greenfield Agreements' looks like one.

I bet the guy who came up with the name 'Greenfield' had a good laugh. This government's smugness offends me sometimes. Green fields indeed, for an employer.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well, the Work Choices amendment is now through (the House of Representatives had to approve the version of the amendment that was passed by the Senate).

Generator

HSC
N/A
Howard refuses union bargain right

"So 51 per cent say that a collective agreement should cover the whole workplace?" Mr Howard said. "No, I don't agree with that. I think that's a suppression of minority rights."
Yet it's fine to deny those who want to collectively bargain their rights? Wouldn't it make a bit of sense to allow for both collective and individual agreements in the workplace? Sarah, if you happen to be lurking, would that be possible?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Wouldn't it make a bit of sense to allow for both collective and individual agreements in the workplace?
That is the current situation. There are people on AWA's now, it is just that currently an AWA needs to at least meet award standards, where as I believe after the workchoices bill there will be no such requirement.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
That is the current situation. There are people on AWA's now, it is just that currently an AWA needs to at least meet award standards, where as I believe after the workchoices bill there will be no such requirement.
Goodbye no disadvantage test!

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
instead in place there will be a fair pay commission standard so it will be similar to the ndt
You really think the Fair Pay Comission will do anything? If it was to actually do anything there would have been no reason to abandon the old system where the Idustrial Relations Court set the minimum wage.

The Fair pay comission may even be abolished once everything gets up and moving. The idea that a body of men would set the min wage (ie IRC or 'Fair pay comission') defeats the purpose of deregulation of the labour market.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
no i think it will be quite ineffective. I am not in support of these reforms at all
I thought you were a young Liberal?

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Howard refuses union bargain right

Yet it's fine to deny those who want to collectively bargain their rights? Wouldn't it make a bit of sense to allow for both collective and individual agreements in the workplace? Sarah, if you happen to be lurking, would that be possible?
Yes it makes sense to allow for both collective and individual agreements (as is shown in the current system). From what I read in that article, collective agreements will still be allowed so long as the employer agrees to them.

Sorry, i'm not sure if that answers your question :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)