The Official French Film/SBS Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

Skip

chepas said:
Les Choristes

This looks really nice. A remake of a movie from the 40s. The Herald didn't seem to be too enthusiastic but evertime I read their critiques they never like anything. And it's musicalish looking so it might appeal. Certainly did in France where it is a box office hit.
Les Choristes was the huge hit in France in 2004. Everyone was still raving about it while I was over there. Think it was in the box office for like 8 months. So I guess it's a safe bet if you want to see a good movie (haven't seen it personally though)

malkin86

HSC
I picked up in my local library by chance, a copy of "Les Enfants du Paradis" - set in 19th Century Paris, it is the story of the courtesan Garance and the four men who fall in love with her, in their own ways. They are a mime artist, an actor, an aristocrat and a criminal.

It is something like a French Gone with the Wind in scope, and I really suggest that you try and watch it, if you can.

chepas

HSC
I just came back from "Les Choristes" - OMG!!! Nice! I lvoed the music too. I love choral music, and I never thought I'd like children's choirs but this was amazing.

French is such a good language for choral works.

Anyway, should it become available here on rent or purchase, I urge you all to have a peak!

malkin said:
I'm most interested in "And they lived happily Ever After", or "Me and My Sister", "Podium", "Genesis" and "Not on the Lips", and maybe the shorts and the common thread.
Just picked up a brochure at Palace today and I am interested in pretty much exactly those. Especially Not on the lips.

Could we make a meet up for the fest work? Among other meet ups of varying success rate so far :D?

malkin86

HSC
Hey, atm the meet at chez moi has two people.. that's semi-successful...

Skip

chepas said:
I just came back from "Les Choristes" - OMG!!! Nice! I lvoed the music too. I love choral music, and I never thought I'd like children's choirs but this was amazing.

French is such a good language for choral works.

Anyway, should it become available here on rent or purchase, I urge you all to have a peak!

Just picked up a brochure at Palace today and I am interested in pretty much exactly those. Especially Not on the lips.

Could we make a meet up for the fest work? Among other meet ups of varying success rate so far :D?
Yeah, will have a look at Les Choristes sometime, pretty much everyone in France has seen it.

chepas

HSC
Bah, tyranny of distance. No tyranny here!

Re: Choristes. Yes :D. I wonder what is thought about it by people from our generation in France.

Malkin: I'm not knocking the Shire Meet-Up! Don't get me wrong.

Skip

Hmmm, didn't talk to anybody about the film except for one of my cousins and she said she didn't really feel like seeing the film at all...

malkin86

HSC
SBS is screening "The Story of O" - a french doco about an infamous french novel that was the answer to a challenge that women can't write good erotica. 10 pm Friday.

Also, on Sunday, "Harry, he's here to help" is screening at 8:30 on SBS.

Skip

Je viens de voir "Jean de Florette". C'était un très bon film. Je vous conseille de le voir.

chepas

HSC
Vraiment? Il y a un film basé sur le livre de Pagnol (c'est de Pagnol n'est-ce pas?) aussi? Je viens juste de lire "La gloire de mon père", et il y avait beaucoup d'adaptations cinématographiques de ce livre-la`.

Qui joue dans le film Skip?

Oh, et a` propos, un autre film de Guédiguian (de M+J) qui est actuellement sorti en France- dont le nom m'échappe lol - mais ça avait l'air bon... Y avait une pub dans "Le Monde". Watch this space! :D

Skip

Gérard Depardieu.

Je regarderai Manon Des Sources (Jean de Florette Partie 2) ce soir ou demain. J'éspère que ce sera aussi bien que la première partie.

sal448

sally
HSC
french grammar

my french speaking exams over the past two years have been fine. but i think that may be because my teacher went over everthing thoroughly n made my class memorise the answers!.does anyoone know any good techniques to remember how to construct responses..lyk off the top your head?...does that make sense?|..sorry if it doesnt...and another problem i hav is grammar..i cant read words and pronounce them really well but when it comes to constructing repsonses i get my words mixed up!///does anyone have any way of helping me with this?..eg a website...i do a lot of study which helps...but im looking for something a bit more..
thankz
sal

chepas

HSC
Hey again sal ;)

What I found that helped, in fact STILL helps speaking is listening to a lot of stuff. Movies (seeing that this IS the movie thread ;) are a good source, especially French-French movies (ie movies from France), of listening and learning to develop your own accent and a natural French sounding flow to how you speak. The net is a vast resource (as an understatement of a century!) and there's a tonne of things you can listen to to try and imitate etc. Also, in this listening you get to know lots of more vocab, which is osmething you need to constantly do anyway heeh.

Re: constructing. Is it constructing the sentences etc with grammar that you have a bit of trouble with? Cos that's the bane of any language student, and one place you can find a lot of stuff to help you is french.about.com. I've recommended this site for ages, but there's wealth of info there. Also, there's another set of forums (!) that are full of students and native speakers alike, asking questions and giving help.

With speaking it also needs to be given a bit of time. If you are feeling confident now then that's a good way to feel as that will be evident in the way you speak (the ultimate goal being the speaking exam at the end of next year), so yeah.

One good rule to remember perhaps, is subject-verb-object hehe, so if you can identify those parts and get that down pat, all the other stuff just comes naturally around it eventually.

Keep going how you say you're going now and you should go far ;)

Back to the topic of this thread hehe.

Of course our dear Depardieu. There's not a French film that exists in which he hasn't acted...

Saw the weirdest thing on TV5 at uni. French cop shows. They have such a nice way of filming them it's almost, human.... ! Like the really awkward sarcastic humour of 'Water Rats' as well...

malkin86

HSC
"What can I say in response to this that will give me maximum speaking time?"

Eg. If I was asked "Tu as un petit ami?" in my exam, rather than saying "That's a little too personal" or "No" or "Yes", I might say, "No, I don't have a boyfriend, but my brother has a girlfriend. In general, we get on OK, but she always picks an argument with what I say. If I say the sky is blue, she will say my eyes are wrong." I might then give the vitalstatistix of my brother's girlfriend, or tell the story of how they met.

chepas

HSC
Ah ha yes. There is the thing - you can lie. It's very easy to lie, as, in your lie, you use vocab/constructions you know and with which you're comfortable. So by no means if you can't be bothered with/don't want to tell the truth - make it up! Just make sure you REMEMBER what you say hehe, cos they might use little details of the lie that you take ;).

malkin86

HSC
I never lied to my profs, as I couldn't remember my lies, and what was supposed to build on what. But, if your life is truly boring (which it's not), there is no reason why you can't ...embroider... a little around the edges - just remember what you say!
One good resource is Chepas's list of possible questions on set topics (and in the same thread *actual questions* that they have asked us) - if you write a generalish speaking answer to 2 of them per week, and memorise and update them, then you have a mass of stuff in your head that you know in french about your life.

chepas

HSC
Re: memorising. It's good to remember and commit to memory a set response, but sometimes it can be tricky, when, if you're asked questions that don't really relate to what you've memorised, to say what you've memorised. If you have really broad segueing skills, all the better.

Par exemple:

Examiner: Est-ce que tu aimes le sport?
Etudiant: Non, je détèste le sport. Mais je vais souvent au ciné, ce que j'aime. Et quand on va au ciné on boit du coca. J'aime boire. J'adore la bière...

? :D.

Getting from something completely unrelated is fun :D.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Gawd. 90% of my responses were completely fabricated. Did tend to screw me over a little though. Regardless, I always loved to make up ridiculously long descriptions of things.....

Chepas said:
Examiner: Est-ce que tu aimes le sport?
Etudiant: Non, je détèste le sport. Mais je vais souvent au ciné, ce que j'aime. Et quand on va au ciné on boit du coca. J'aime boire. J'adore la bière...

? .

Getting from something completely unrelated is fun
That was *so* my method. HAHAHA!! The 'unrelated tangent' method. Worked.... except when they asked you about sport again... then I was stuck. :rolleyes:

But watching films is good practice for Speaking exams. At the very least you can pick up how to sound like a french person.

Anyway, french films. Has everyone seen at Borders they've got all their French DVDs out on display and some 2 for $40. Weee! I've got my Mum addicted to French comedy so I'm thinking I'll buy her some DVDs for her B-day... that way I can watch them too. :D

chepas

HSC
Hip said:
Has everyone seen at Borders they've got all their French DVDs out on display and some 2 for $40.
For real? Why do these things only happen when I have no money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)