The Official French Beginners Speaking Exam 2005 Thread - POST IN HERE! (1 Viewer)

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
French Speaking Preperation Time

In our exam (on monday!), we get 15 minutes preperation time. What would be the best way to spend this time? My teacher reccomended that we sit through it and 'maximise' the time, without really justifying it or suggesting a plan of attack.

Are we really not allowed to take pens in either?

Nerd Queen

"Oh God, I could be bounded in a nut-shell, and co
HSC
i dont get the whole 'maximise' thing!

i think the best thing to do would be to go through it slowly at first

step by step

and then go through it all together several times

when u think about it 15 minutes is a long enough time to be prepared

and DO NOT PANICK

yes its true: there are to be no notes taken. you must only prepare in your head

good luck to all

chepas

HSC
For Beginners yes?

Try not to memorise what you're going to say EXACTLY. You'll just get confused and muddle. Instead get an idea in your head and play around with it, a general gist of what you'll say. Think of those key phrases that you may have memorised before (!) in your French learning days and maybe base those phrases and structures around what you can do.

And also - READ THE QUESTIONS THOROUGHLY! And understand what they want! You don't want to get to a question that you didn't read or understand, or misinterpreted what you needed to do. Part of the exam aim is also to see how you process the information as well as what you give out. Comprehension as well as outward ability etc etc...

As for maximising your time, it's very much each to their own method of maximisation, whatever that means! I take it to mean getting the most out of the time you have with the goal of understanding the questions and thinking of responses in the 15 mins. Also as in - don't waste time on stupid tiny little things (eg is it REALLY that important to your response if you can't remember if it's le table or la table? The important thing is communicating what you have to say in a way that is smooth and carefree etc.)

As for pens, no pens :). If you're not used to doing the exam without taking notes then it will be a good idea to practice without them. I've posted another practice paper for Beginner's speaking here

Bonne chance! C'est lundi n'est-ce pas? N'ayez pas peur, ce sera bientôt fini. :uhhuh:

Last edited:

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
I wish you all nothing but good luck. This was one of the most nerve-wracking exams I did.

I agree with Chep- don't try and memorise, 'cause chances are you'll get lost somewhere and become flustered --> the examiners will recognise prepared responses and might ask you follow-up questions (!).

Phrases are good. Structure is good to order your thoughts, I found.

I think I took a pen, but that was only to fiddle with since I was ridiculously anxious.

Argh!! When it's all done, come on here and have a long bitch. It's like post-exam therapy. It made me feel a whole lot better knowing other people's horrible exam experiences!

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
French Speaking Exam Thoughts

It was so easy!!

But i still cried after the exam for some strange reason. My examiner said "this is the end of the examination" and i just burst into tears :rolleyes: She started hugging me and stuff, it was a bit awkward :p

I'm cut at myself for forgetting little things, like how to say 'can you' and 'travel' (said vacance instead!)

The test just seemed alot more simpler than previous years.. i guess we are just lucky eh :p

How'd you find it?

(When is the security period over?)

haack_m

HSC
french hsc pttf

omg, how easy was that
i know what u mean about past hsc's that was like a walk in the park,

i was happy wit mine, but were u with urs,
dun worry the girl in my class that went first also burst into tears, and she had a mental blank

and how good, no more speaking french, well some but not to be tested :> in the words of Beg Kev, 'I'm Excited', dun ask why i just am

omg i cant beleive that i was stressing so much, not to bost and stuff, but yeh, if that is the standard of the other french tests, BRING EM ON

yours sincerly

haacko

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Hippy La-Laa said:
So that's two thumbs up. Where are all the people who had shockers?!
Probably not on this forum :p

The first question was RIDICULOUSLY easy. I still can't beleive it! I was prepared for so much more!!

haack_m

HSC
qns 1-in a shop
-greet shopkeeper
-say that u want some milk
-ask how much it is for 2 litres
-ask for two litres

qns 2-u are talking to your french exchange family
-ask if u can watch a french film on tv
-say the time that the film is on
-explain why u want to watch the film

qns3 -u are in a tourist info place
-ask the receptionist to recommend a cheap hotel
-state what type of room u would like
-say u would pefer to be in paris
-explain why u want to be in paris

qms4- u are in the library
-greet the librarian, and say that u want to send an email
-ask where the computers are, and repeat his directions
-ask him about what else u are looking for
-explain why u are looking for it

qns5-talking to friend in french exchange class
-state ur name, and tell him/her about ur family
-say that it is ur first time in france
- (cant remember this one maybe a 05er could assist me)
-state why u like the lanuage

and other 05ers feel free to correct ne mistakes that u can remember

this was it to the best of my memory, yes i had nothing better to do, so i sat and memorised the questions so i could post them here, so u 04ers and such could see them before security period ended

chepas

HSC
lol! That's one impressive memory you have there! I wasn't aware of any 'security period'. I know that after the written exams I wasn't able to take one of the billion spare copies of the exam the day, but I could ask the teachers of the relevent subject after. Wonder

Very nice anyway! Hopefully you all killed it.

haack_m

HSC
well, i dun know how i was able to remember so much

but yeh, i could prob ask for a copy and scan it for u if u wanted, just so it was all right and stuff, not judging by my memory

drop me a line if u want me too, i would be happy too, its just finding a working scanner, ill try plugging mine in, lol

so yeh

and yes hopefully we did all kill it!!

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Wow. That was easy. :eek: Cool!!! You'll do fabuluously!! *claps*

I think I managed to get the written papers out of the exam room and faxed them straight to my French teacher for her evaluation of the questions.

Mmmemories... like the corners of my mind.

chepas

HSC
lol haack that's ok hehe. It'll eventually surface on the Board's site and besides - your versions are better lol ;).

Hip said:
Mmmemories... like the corners of my mind.
"Memories Like the Corners of my Mind" - est-ce que c'est une chanson qui vient de tes chères années 80, Hip? ;)

haack_m

HSC
k, yeh they should surface,

mine might be better, but im just not sure how accurate they are, i think most of it is right, but neway

haack_m

HSC
so i know it was long time ago, but we only heard from like 2 ppl how they think they went, how did all the rest of you go, im sure there is more then 2 ppl doing beginners on BOS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)