The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (2 Viewers)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
El Niño is an exciting signing, but he's hardly prolific,clinical or really one for the big occasion all of which Liverpool need.

Take away penalties the guy scored 46 in 4 seasons of La Liga and is as streaky as they come. He's a frustrating player to watch, I've seen him absolutely shit on a defender or two, storm his way into the box only to hit the ball into row Z. He's missed as many sitters as he's scored great goals.

The way I see it,if it pays off Liverpool will go from a 70 point team to a 85-90 point team which puts in a challenge, but it's a big time gamble.

I wouldn't mind him coming good, he's great to watch when on form, I just find the collective wankfest and taunting of a lot of Scousers to be slightly premature. If I believed them they were gonna win the League next season for all of the past 18 seasons.

adders

HSC
Torres may not be the miracle signing that we desired but he is a quality footballer who will score goals. He averaged 15 a season in spain with a relatively shit team so with the EPL's best midfield behind him should score a fair few. He will adapt to the english game, he's only 23 so time is not an issue

Benitez doesn't require him to score 20 - 25 a year but rather one of 4 strikers above 10 goals and some contribution by the midfield and the likes of riise.

I would love the reds to win the title, but just because we have signed one player, that doesnt constitute in a title, but does help. Rafa now needs to follow this up by signing a quality right winger someone like quaresma who can challenge pennant for his spot. Full faith in harry to be a quality left midfielder and with gerrard, alonso, mascherano and sissoko in the middle, our midfield will dominate anyone in europe

You'll Never Walk Alone

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Best midfield in Europe is a laugh though. Anyways, it looks like Slur Alex has pissed on your parade :rofl:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yeah, I think most Reds are aware of Torres's shortcomings in the past. In his defense he's played in an Atletico side that played Houllieresque football. Almost always on the counterattack. I think he'll be asked to play a different sort of role under Rafa. I can see him being asked to contribute a lot more to the attacking play in and around the area. Anyway, plenty of forwards playing in Spain had promising but otherwise unspectacular careers until they moved to a big club- Villa at Zaragoza and Eto'o at Mallorca just to name 2.

As for best midfield in Europe.. not close to being true until we sign one or two world class wide/creative players. Even less true now that Little Luis has left. Our CM options though, I think few would argue, are certainly in the two three in the world.

Also apparently we've had a £13.5m bid rejected for Quaresma. Apparently he laid on something like 15 assists and 6 goals in the Supaliga last season. If he came and could do the same we'd be challenging. Really it's hard to say what will happen at this stage though. For all we know every one of this window's big signings could flop massively.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
The Times and Daily Mail are reporting that Tevez has signed for United.. big blow to all the other title chasers chances if true.

Having said that there have been no quotes. So more likely it's just Kia trying to get a bidding war started again.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Tevez sounds nice, but still, he's not the type of forward I think we need. Anyway I'm not too sure if we actually need another forward. If this is true, it'll certainly spell the end of Alan Smith. What a shame, he had such big heart and I always wanted to see him score a few goals for us.

Rooney + Tevez up front, where are the headers gonna come from...? From the way it seems, we still need Saha to be fit.

I'm looking forward to Richardson leaving more than Tevez joining us.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
If not sure if the rumours are true...but I would be delighted if United manage to sign Tevez. I'm not sure that we need him either but he is an awesome talent and if we do sign him our squad will surely be the envy of pretty much every other club worldwide.

Fergie has been splashing the cash this summer but I think he is preparing for life after Scholesy, Giggsy, etc. Our squad is complete now and I don't think we will need to spend nearly as much in the coming years.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
woo, how long has it been.

Seems like you guys are more interested in transfers then the games themselves.
I havent really kept up with the news, Torres seems ok but im dissapointed we havent bought any superstars.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Phyuk_Yiu said:
Torres seems ok but im dissapointed we havent bought any superstars.
Torres is one of the most talented young players in the game and definitely has the potential to be a superstar. Liverpool now just need a winger or two. Simao or Quaresma would be perfect signings.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
What do you mean by 'superstar'? If you're talking about the likes of Ronaldinho or Villa... well signings like that just don't happen very often at all. One superstar won't help us as much as 2-3 top class players, some of whom (like Torres) who have to potential to become 'superstars'. Besides even when these 'superstars' do get signed, they don't always come off. The two biggest signings last year at this time were Sheva and Ballack. Both massive flops.

I think we've spent fairly wisely so far this window. We've bought for the future really. All the signings we've made where we've actually spent a few mil are young and have a lot of potential. If everything goes well and we bring in Quaresma as it looks like we might, I think we'll definitely be no more than 5-10 points from the champions by the end of the year, and a good bet for the title by the next year.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Everyone seems to forget that Quaresma was a flop in Barcelona.

It seems that Tevez is very likely to join us. That would certainly be an unbelievable forward line. Imagine both Tevez and Rooney roaming up front, as well as Ronaldo and Giggs on the flanks, then comes on Nani and Anderson, wow, the thought of it is just mouth watering. But the current problem at the moment is Joorabchian and his MSI, the Premier League would need all the transfer money to go to West Ham instead of the agent. Joorabchian wouldn't want that and this is probably just part of his plan of selling Tevez to other clubs.

I have a feeling that Tevez is regretting the fact that he is owned by MSI, maybe rejecting Inter would have something to do with it.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
It's a damn complicated contract. I think the idea is that WHU got in trouble because a player cannot have two owners under EPL regulationis. In court they said that they in fact had full ownership of Tevez in a contract where he would be registered solely as a WHU player until the end of the contract, which ran for 4 years. Now since West Ham are supposed to own the player at this time, any clubs trying to buy him should be negotiating (and paying) West Ham, and not Kia Joorabchian. Naturally this throws a spanner in the works of the United transfer, as you guys have been dealing primarily with Joorabchian and not West Ham. The FA will obviously be backing WHU in this, because they're supposed to be his owners. If for some reason it turned out that MSI was still his owner and not WHU, then WHU would be in trouble again for being the second owner of a player last season. Hilarious if the transfer went through and WHU got all the money while MSI lost their key asset. This Joorabchian fellow seems as dodgy as they come.

adders

HSC
Man united have really splashed the cash this summer but has it really been worth it. I mean hargreaves is good but man united already had quality in the center. If the signing of tevez is true then that does bolster their frontline but again i question the belief that he is a top player. He had one good month, that's all, the other 6 months he did little to warrant such a huge transfer. Though the signings of nani and anderson look good.

Liverpool on the other hand need a quality winger, quaresma or simao need to come to the club. Lucas leiva looks pretty good. Saw him play in the copa libertedores (cant spell it) and although his team lost, he seemed like a good footballer. Will definetly bolster our ranks. I'm looking forward to this season as i feel that liverpool will be much closer to the top this season. As long as they mathematically have a chance to win the league with 5 games to go then the season can be considered successful

YNWA

SamFisher3

HSC
N/A
the 'pool will definetely get that awesome winger......16m from cisse and bellamy+Gillets money =we're set.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Benny_ said:
It's a damn complicated contract. I think the idea is that WHU got in trouble because a player cannot have two owners under EPL regulationis. In court they said that they in fact had full ownership of Tevez in a contract where he would be registered solely as a WHU player until the end of the contract, which ran for 4 years. Now since West Ham are supposed to own the player at this time, any clubs trying to buy him should be negotiating (and paying) West Ham, and not Kia Joorabchian. Naturally this throws a spanner in the works of the United transfer, as you guys have been dealing primarily with Joorabchian and not West Ham. The FA will obviously be backing WHU in this, because they're supposed to be his owners. If for some reason it turned out that MSI was still his owner and not WHU, then WHU would be in trouble again for being the second owner of a player last season. Hilarious if the transfer went through and WHU got all the money while MSI lost their key asset. This Joorabchian fellow seems as dodgy as they come.
Where did you get the idea that we're dealing with this Joorab dude and not West Ham directly? Joorabchian is a plague, and is more of a slave trader than a football agent. The situation now seems that we will get Tevez on a 2 year loan, with the option of making the transfer permanent after that. West Ham owns the player's registration, while MSI owns the economic rights of the player. The Premier League will only allow the transfer to go through if West Ham receives a significant portion of the fees. So the problem is how to deal with Joorabchian, since he will want to get something out of it.

adders said:
Man united have really splashed the cash this summer but has it really been worth it. I mean hargreaves is good but man united already had quality in the center. If the signing of tevez is true then that does bolster their frontline but again i question the belief that he is a top player. He had one good month, that's all, the other 6 months he did little to warrant such a huge transfer. Though the signings of nani and anderson look good.
Heh, you surely are a funny one. So you're only judging Tevez for his half a season at West Ham? Well if you didn't notice, he was on the bench for the first half of the season, for some unknown reason, which I think has got something to do with his registration for sure. Then when he finally gets to play, he saves the team from relegation, almost singlehandedly.

Before that, he was at Corinthians, where he had a tough time because he was an Argentine playing in Brazil. He was unbelievable there too, and got the award for South American Player of the Year on 2 consecutive occasions. And this was when he was at Brazil, when the oppositions player would target him in their tackling and refs would not offer him the protection he needs.

Tevez is a real star. He puts his heart on the pitch for every team that he has played for. His commitment is just unbelievable. Every team would want a player like Tevez. I know some bullshit reports are saying he'll cost 40mil, but we aren't paying that much for him. I'm sure he will be cheaper than Torres, and he has scored more goals at almost every level of the game than Torres has.

YWNA - You Never Won in Athens.

PS. you were the guy who did the 5 times in Athens thing yeah...? :p

adders

HSC
LMF^^ said:
YWNA - You Never Won in Athens.

PS. you were the guy who did the 5 times in Athens thing yeah...? :p
It was me and it 6 times in athens (at least we made it dumbass) but that mistake is understandable u cant count that high considering u've only won the european cup twice.

You've won it 2 times
You've won it 2 times
Like Nottingham Forrest
You've won it 2 times

HHAHHAHAHHAHA

GO Pool
You'll Never Walk Alone

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
We've still won top flight English football more than anyone though, a lot of united fans seem to conveniently forget that :)

Adders.. Tevez is brilliant. I'm gutted they're getting him and we're not. If he and Rooney hit it off, they'll potentially be the most lethal front two in the world. I wasn't really impressed with their spending this window but if they get Tevez (and it looks like it's gonna happen), United would be my favourites to win the league again. Still, plenty of rumours afloat they we'll be signing two rather than one top class winger pretty soon, so I'm still pretty optimistic about our own chances.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
adders said:
It was me and it 6 times in athens (at least we made it dumbass) but that mistake is understandable u cant count that high considering u've only won the european cup twice.
Sorry, all I can remember is that Liverpool didn't win anything last season. And don't worry, we'll overtake your league winning record before you guys can win the league again.

It's just funny how you can still be on your high horse after jinxing your team like that. Every season it's about "we'll win the league", but that never happens. You lot think this Torres will be a miracle worker, I have my doubts, especially with Benitez' conservative tactics. We'll see if he can even get 20 goals next season.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Actually I don't see any Pool fans saying we'll win the league, not for some seasons anyway. There's not much point in bravado for fans on internet forums really. Sure it sucks not having won the league in 17 years, but if we've waited 17, there's no harm in waiting 18 if it means we'll get everything right in those two years. I'm confident that we are. As for United overtaking our league record.. you seriously think you'll win another THREE titles before we win it again?:p You're really going out of your way to set yourself up for major disappointment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)