The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

bng

HSC
HeCtic said:
He might be. Not too fussed if he isn't. We look more fluid and less predictable with him out of the team, but he does have the quality to make a goal from nowhere, so I'd say it might just even itself out somewhat.

I hope Arsenal get through. I have a feeling if we do we'll draw an English team, which would be an awesome tie, unless it was against Liverpool.
Afraid to lose?

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
bng said:
Afraid to lose?

Yeah, wouldn't it be fun if we had to play the same team in all the cup competitions in that season. Scared of losing? 12-3 to us so far this season btw.

sk1001

HSC
LMF^^ said:
How's that related to what Navarro did...? Obviously you didn't see what happened and is making an obviously uneducated opinion. It seems you have a great dislike against Italian football, and is probably still bitter from Australia's World Cup exit. Just quit your whining and get over it scumbag.
Actually I did see what he did. Great for him, he will get what he deserves. That's not to say the eye-ties stayed out of it. An "all in brawl" as it was described on SBS world news. Sounds like a two way street to me.

Yes, I do dislike Italian football. Why? They are a bunch of cheating, diving, corrupt bastards both on and off the pitch. Why bother watching a game you know is rigged. And by the way, the foul in the round of 16, it was a penalty. Shame Gilardino couldn't get a similar decision.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
The Serie A displays the most technically brilliant and pure football in all of Europe. As such, I understand why it may not entertain a dimwitted individual as yourself who probably dislikes everything outside of the EPL.

By the way, how about Sydney FC's performance against Shenhua Shanghai? It was very fluid and tactile. I expected as much from Culina as he did advocate a similar style in his Sydney United days. Hopefully he is given the position full time and allowed to work with this team properly as his style suits the current Sydney FC players. Some recruitment will be required though if they are to challenge Melbourne this year - a prolific goalscorer (Luka Glavas - good in the NSWPL, not ready for A-League; Adam Casey - shit even in the NSWPL, no idea what he is doing there); and a better right back.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Sydney was awesome tonight. Great goals from Corica and Talay. Tickets go on sale tomorrow for the Sydney FC v Urawa Reds match at Aussie Stadium on March 21. I'll be there for sure.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
lol @ Arsenal.

Manchester United through to the next round after Larsson scored to make it a 1-0 victory on the night and a 2-0 victory on aggregate. That was Larsson's last game for United...and his contribution will be sorely missed in the closing stages of our season...especially given the injuries to many of our strikers at the moment. Maybe he didn't score as many goals as he would have liked but the goals he did score came at very important times. His contribution to our overall play also cannot be underestimated and he can go back to Helsingborg with his head held high. I'm dissapointed that United didn't make more of an effort to keep him for longer...but it was a a master stroke from Fergie to even get him here in the first place.

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
well done united on gettin through, i was nervous and we did it the hard way. and haha at arsenal, 2 of the finalists are out..the larsson thing, whilst i was against it from the beginning we really should of kept him for whole season, SAF is a stubborn man and now with ole out, saha injured we only have rooney as our fit striker...? how does that make sense considering we have 3 competitions to fight for, and the epl is not ours yet, ppl are getting ahead of themselves there are 9 games to play! and our lead is only 6 points, if chelsea win the game in hand..we have everton, blackburn, bolton, to play, plus chelsea, man city...im happy for our position but i think us united fans should calm down a bit, and fergie really shouldve held onto larry..

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Alan Smith is fit again though...but still probably lacking a bit of match sharpness. Saha and Solskjaer are both only out for 3-4 weeks though...so hopefully we can keep winning until they come back. There was always a chance that we would have this problem with the strikers after Fergie failed to sign a replacement for Van Nistelrooy...but he will definitely purchase a quality striker in the transfer window.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
Only saw the first half of the morning game, arsenal didnt seem to really threaten the goal and from the scoreline its no big surprise that psv held through with their first leg win.
heh Real Madrid is out again, i wonder what their solution will be? another coach or a few big name players.
The draw will be interesting, there's no team we'd particularly like to meet. Maybe Man U just so we can try and get revenge for the league ties.

bng

HSC
HeCtic said:
Yeah, wouldn't it be fun if we had to play the same team in all the cup competitions in that season. Scared of losing? 12-3 to us so far this season btw.
Ha. Arsenal :rofl:
I wuld prefer if we dnt play another English team. I can watch two english teams play wk in wk out but i cant see them verse another power house team wk in wk out.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
well done united on gettin through, i was nervous and we did it the hard way. and haha at arsenal, 2 of the finalists are out..the larsson thing, whilst i was against it from the beginning we really should of kept him for whole season, SAF is a stubborn man and now with ole out, saha injured we only have rooney as our fit striker...? how does that make sense considering we have 3 competitions to fight for, and the epl is not ours yet, ppl are getting ahead of themselves there are 9 games to play! and our lead is only 6 points, if chelsea win the game in hand..we have everton, blackburn, bolton, to play, plus chelsea, man city...im happy for our position but i think us united fans should calm down a bit, and fergie really shouldve held onto larry..
Held onto Larsson...? Well it's his decision to leave after March, as he doesn't want to leave his family behind for too long. I'm sure Fergie, along with everyone else, wants him to stay on, especially now that Saha and Ole are injured. We really need Alan Smith to get back into full fitness, otherwise we'll only have Rooney as our lone striker up front.

We've grind out 3 consecutive wins in a row, not having played the best football that we're capable of. We looked very lacklustre today as well, and Lille had more than their share of chances in the match, although none really looked like going into the net. I agree with Sir Alex that it has been a bad week for us, we've lost 4 players to injuries. Losing Saha right now really is a big blow, and it'll be a tough game away at Boro this weekend.

Bayern went through as most expected, and so did Milan. I feel sorry for Celtic, their fighting spirit really is something to be admired.

And where's HeCtic...? :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I really should draw attention to the successful stylish and ultimately attractive football Newcastle United has played this season. It's about time the EPL had a team to be proud of, especially with the brilliance of Titus Bramble and Celestine Babyaro in the back 4.

Yes, I'm just swelling with pride. Next season will be the time to let the world gaze in awe and learn from the mighty North Army of the Toon. As for now, clear indisputable domination will have to do.

:)

sk1001

HSC
Komit said:
The Serie A displays the most technically brilliant and pure football in all of Europe. As such, I understand why it may not entertain a dimwitted individual as yourself who probably dislikes everything outside of the EPL.

By the way, how about Sydney FC's performance against Shenhua Shanghai? It was very fluid and tactile. I expected as much from Culina as he did advocate a similar style in his Sydney United days. Hopefully he is given the position full time and allowed to work with this team properly as his style suits the current Sydney FC players. Some recruitment will be required though if they are to challenge Melbourne this year - a prolific goalscorer (Luka Glavas - good in the NSWPL, not ready for A-League; Adam Casey - shit even in the NSWPL, no idea what he is doing there); and a better right back.
HAHAHA please. Italian football is stale. It's stuck in the stone ages. The game is about scoring, you cannot win without scoring. Italians are too focused on their defence, and that makes for a boring game. Prime example: UCL final Juve vs Milan. Techincally brilliant in terms of defending, but overall, utter shite for entertainment factor. Have a look at the EPL on the other hand. Goals galore and a game played at a million miles an hour. Any player that hasn't played in England before always complains about how they can't keep up with the pace. Wake up mate, the EPL is the best league in the world.

bng

HSC
sk1001 said:
HAHAHA please. Italian football is stale. It's stuck in the stone ages. The game is about scoring, you cannot win without scoring. Italians are too focused on their defence, and that makes for a boring game. Prime example: UCL final Juve vs Milan. Techincally brilliant in terms of defending, but overall, utter shite for entertainment factor. Have a look at the EPL on the other hand. Goals galore and a game played at a million miles an hour. Any player that hasn't played in England before always complains about how they can't keep up with the pace. Wake up mate, the EPL is the best league in the world.
Unfortunatly i have to agree with a Tard. I cant stand to watch Italian football. Boring as bird shit. And as you say- English game is fast paced and more entertaining.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
English football is far more entertaining to watch but it's not nearly as succesful as over brands of football. Just compare the England teams history to that of Italy or France. Even compare it to Italy again in the champions league. The reason English clubs do so well though is they are rich rich rich. The Premiership is the richest league in the world with the championship the fourth. Thats right the Championship is number 4 over Holland, Germany and France.

But still English football is the best to watch. There just not the best a football.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Italian football can be enjoyable to those who enjoy the tactical and technical aspects of the game. Has anyone here even been consistently watching Italian football over the years...? It's not just all about being defensive. Does anyone remember this season's Milan derby...? That was one hell of a game, one of the best games of the season.

The EPL is the most exposed league in the world, and they're rich simply because of the TV revenue they receive each season. See how kick off times for these games have all been changed to suit the global TV audience instead of the local supporters...? Other leagues haven't done that, and that is why so many ppl in the world watch the Premier League. To say it's the most entertaining brand of football can also be subjective, as you've grown to enjoy a certain brand of football, it may be difficult to accept a different brand of football. This is all due to exposure, and to say that the most technical league in the world as stale is simply absurd.

English game played at a million miles per hour...? Yeah, relegation fights where tactics are thrown out the window. You don't see Bolton play like that. And like players in the EPL don't cheat...? Just take a look at Robben and Gerrard (some will accuse Ronaldo too, but that's expected).

Every league has it's good points and bad points, whatever floats your boat is simply your own personal preference. But to attack the credibility and quality of another (superior) league just shows your lack of understanding of the world game.

P.S. I'm still waiting for HeCtic to show up. Come on dude, crying time's over. :D

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
That was the most retarded thing ever. They have two shots on target over two legs and went through.

Still, plenty of reason for optimism though. If we buy well, we'll be great next season.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
sk1001 said:

There were more goals scored in Serie A last season than in the Premiership. 4-5-1 has destroyed the entertainment value of the Premiership. Teams spend whole games kicking each other in the centre of the park and for a mistake which allows them to create something. Watch a game between two mid-table clubs and generally they're absolutely dire.

Give Serie A it's props. Small teams don't roll over to big teams and actually in a lot of games outplay big teams at home. There's more chance of you actually seeing a contest in Serie A and it's a tough league. Very underrated in terms of physicality as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)