The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Italy have knocked Brazil off the top of FIFA's world rankings.

The top 20 ranked teams are as follows: 1 Italy, 2 Brazil, 3 Argentina, 4 France, 5 Germany, 6 England, 7 Netherlands, 8 Portugal, 9 Czech Republic, 10 Spain, 11 Ukraine, 12 Croatia, 13 Greece, 14 Switzerland, 15 Romania, 16 Sweden, 17 Cameroon, 18 Denmark, 19 Mexico, 20 Scotland.

Also: 39 Australia.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Raiks said:
How good was Newcastle!

Ok, that's a lie. It was a terrible match. Soaked pitch, dodgy tackling, a slippery surface, Titus Bramble, cold miserable weather... and yes, Titus Bramble is probably the worst part of that match.

Bellamy cut a swathe through Newcastle's defence for the first 30min with some phenomenal pace and after 6min I was thinking it was going to be a 6-0 type rout, but Harper had a solid game thankfully.

Martins caused a few headaches and he's one of the form strikers in the competition right now. But it's always good beating liverpool, especially with Bellamy in it.
Liverpool only have themselves to blame, they should've won that game easily. And Titus Bramble is just a joke, you guys must be missing Buomsong right now I bet. And Agger and Reina's mix up at the back was pretty funny, allowing Martins that empty goal to shoot.

But anyway, go Bolton tonight.

Raginsheep

HSC
From what I've seen on gunner forums, we probably shouldve put it beyond doubt much earlier. 2 missed penalties......

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Liverpool only have themselves to blame, they should've won that game easily. And Titus Bramble is just a joke, you guys must be missing Buomsong right now I bet. And Agger and Reina's mix up at the back was pretty funny, allowing Martins that empty goal to shoot.

But anyway, go Bolton tonight.
The inclusion of Oguchi is a big plass, just adds that height to the defensive line and has turned out to fit in quite well, wouldn't be surprised if we put a bid in for a full transfer from Standard Leige when the chance comes.

We need to get rid of Titus, although he's popular and quite decent, he just has an amazing ability to have brain explosions, and frequent ones at that. It would have been good to have landed Upson but West Ham and the $$$ ruined any chance of that.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Raginsheep said:
From what I've seen on gunner forums, we probably shouldve put it beyond doubt much earlier. 2 missed penalties......
Djorou, Denilson, Clichy and Diaby are all scary good. We murdered them but Beast did his best to waste 3 sitters and fuck up about 3 more situations where he could've played someone in on goal.

I'm delighted about the performance though. Without Cesc, Henry, Rvp, Lehmann, Gallas,Eboue and others we killed them on the break all night. Once we lose this bad habit of conceding first we'll destroy teams if they're forced to play more than a few minutes of coming at us. Real promise for this team.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
Yes, i'll finally get to watch a Liverpool game since last year.
The good thing about SBS is that so far they've managed to show most of the important liverpool games, looking forward to a surprise win over Barcelona. I think we'll win it if we just go for it at the start, in a similar fashion to the 2005 campaign.
The bad news is that they'll have all their best players back, eto'o and messi will be desperate to make a good return at home.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Meh, we missed a plethora of chances against Reading, really should've finished em off before they could equalise. An unwanted extra fixture and a tricky away tie now, just not what we need. Oh well, at least Arsenal also drew, it's worse for them now since they've got a fixture pile up with the League Cup final and the Champions League back in the agenda.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
We rode our luck in Lille today, and we got the result. Some ppl may bitch about the free kick, but I find it funny that even Arse fans are the ones doing it.

PSV 1-0 Arsenal, heh. :)

Phyuk_Yiu

HSC
Twas a good game this morning, i was impressed by the way Bayern kept going when things looked grim. Real played their typical game, flashes of skill and a bit of luck got them 3 goals but they lacked any real composure and lost the advantage because of it. Beckham played well, it will be sad to see him go.
Just one night left till the big one, GO LIVERPOOL:rofl:

adders

HSC
Biggest game of the season so far tomorrow. Liverpool vs Barcelona at the Nou Camp, should be very exciting, although eto'o wont be playing but messi will of the bench. Anyways it'll be 1-1 and Liverpool will go through.
GO LIVERPOOL

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
A FUN sing-song turned into a vicious punch-up as Liverpool ace Craig Bellamy saw red and waded into team-mate John Arne Riise in a drunken rage.

The sensational bust-up erupted in the early hours of Friday at the team's Portuguese hotel after a marathon boozing session.

An eye witness says the feuding Premiership stars:

TRADED INSULTS during a bar's karaoke contest when Riise refused to take the stage,

SCREAMED ABUSE as they faced each other toe to toe,

TOTTERED back to their training camp base at 2am,

FOUGHT in a hotel as Bellamy lashed out at Riise's £5 million legs with a golf club, until the pair were

SEPARATED by head coach Rafael Benitez.

The outrage has massive implications for both players and the club, who have just been taken over by new American owners.

Tycoon co-chairmen George Gillett and Tom Hicks who invested £470 million were said to be furious that their name has been dragged through the mud just before a vital Champions League clash with Barcelona on Wednesday—their most important match this year.

Insiders have predicted it could spell the end of 27-year-old bad boy Bellamy's career at Anfield.

The astonishing incident kicked off at Monty's Restaurant and Bar in the upmarket Algarve Vale do Lobo resort where Welsh international Bellamy and Norwegian World Cup hero Riise, 25, were winding down with colleagues after five days' training in preparation for Wednesday.

An inside source revealed: "There had been a lot of drinking and everyone was enjoying themselves.

"But it all went wrong when Craig tried to drag John up for a song.

"There was a karaoke competition going on, but John's a quiet one off the pitch and wasn't having it at all.

"It started off as a bit of a lark with some of the other lads having a go but then it got completely out of hand. John went ballistic because Craig wouldn't take no for an answer. He was screaming at Craig to leave him alone, saying he wouldn't do it and yelling insults.

"Everyone was completely stunned by it because they were really having a go, standing there toe to toe swearing at each other. There were about 20 players in the bar including all the senior guys, like Steven Gerrard, Peter Crouch and Dirk Kuyt.

"They were warned to keep a lid on it and it appeared to calm down.

"It was really late, about 2am, and the players eventually started drifting off to bed. But Craig, who was sharing with Steve Finnan, was so wound up he couldn't sleep.

"He suddenly grabbed a golf club and went looking for John. And when he found him he waded in, hacking at his legs with the club.

"All hell was let loose and John suffered a lot of bruising. Craig was out of control and shouting that John had belittled him in front of the lads."

Eventually coach Benitez was called to separate the two stars. The boss was said to be horrified and called both players to an emergency summit after they sobered up.

Benitez had plenty to worry about. Unconfirmed reports in a local newspaper said one footballer had also been handcuffed after allegedly trying to headbutt a policeman.

And it was claimed other players smashed electrical equipment in the resort with their golf clubs.

Staff at the four-star Barringtons Centro Deportivo hotel were ordered to keep quiet about the disturbance.

"The players flew back to Britain on Friday and were trying to keep a lid on the shameful incident.

But our source said: "With Liverpool just about to play one of the most important matches in their history this is the last thing they need.

"The break was meant to be a bit of rest and recreation with light training to get the team acclimatised for the Nou Camp on Wednesday, but this fight has ruined everything.

"It has heaped disgrace on the club when all the attention should be focused on what happens on the pitch. The new owners can't understand how grown men can behave like this. They believe the club's reputation is in the gutter and find it incredible that this should happen just before the Barcelona game.

"If Liverpool lose the match because of this there'll be hell to pay."

Riise's teammates are shocked at Bellamy's attack on a fellow professional and friend. A source said: "To smash a golf club into a fellow player's legs is unforgivable.

"It's the worst place ever to attack a footballer. Damaged legs are no good to anyone in this business and Riise is known for his trademark blockbusting shots.

"It's like deliberately trying to break someone's leg on the pitch — however cross or angry you are, it's a no-brainer. You just can't do it.

"John was mortified when Craig came bursting into his room like that. Anything could have happened."

It is not clear what punishments the players face. But hard-line Spaniard Benitez is unlikely to tolerate such loutish behaviour ever again and at the very least is expected to fine both men heavily.

One insider said: "Some people feel it's time to ship Bellamy out so he can be someone else's problem."

A Liverpool spokesman said: "We're not prepared to make any comment."
Funniest article I've read for a long time.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
Funniest article I've read for a long time.
Yep, but how come you aren't talkin about your game at Einhoven...?

Well I guess your luck gotta run out some time, you can't fall behind and expect to win every time.

This btw, is also quite funny.

Reds Win Amid Chaotic Scenes

Manchester United put one foot in the quarter-finals of the Champions League amid chaotic scenes in Lens. Ryan Giggs scored United’s 83rd-minute winner when the referee allowed him to fire in a quick free-kick. But that was only part of it. The Lille players clearly were not ready as they waited for referee Eric Braamhaar’s whistle which never came. As United celebrated, the Lille stars surrounded the Dutch referee who let the goal stand. Then a member of the home backroom staff, goalkeeping coach Jean-Noel Duse, got a message on to the pitch. Straight from the restart, Lille kicked the ball out of play and, amazingly, began to walk off in protest like sulking children.

Neil Custis, The Sun

Last edited:

Phyuk_Yiu

HSC
Woooohooo:) 2-1 to Liverpool, fucking right.
What a game, how appropriate that both Riise and Bellamy scored lol. Barcelona threatend 15 minutes in, and i was afraid of a whitewash after Deco's goal. But they failed to keep up the pressure and got hit before half time. Second half was Liverpool's, Sissoko and Gerrard strangled the midfield and got the ball up front to Kuyt and Bellamy.
I went crazy when Riise scored, the reds strikers drew all the defenders in and left him free to shoot.
We musn't get complacent at Anfield tho, i remember Barcelona's previous CL game with Werder. They looked fragile at one nil down, but went on to cut up the defence with three sublime goals. I think we should still go for a win, if we manage to score early Barca will lose their structure trying to attack us. Once that happens, defending will be easier and we might even punish them on the break.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
How Liverpool managed to win I still can't understand, but if Eto'o was there, I'd doubt you'd be celebrating like you are now. Winning 2-1 away is a very very good result though, it'll be tough for Barca to win now.

Terry and Robben got injured for Chelsea again, and Maureen can't stop his whining, poor thing.

Raginsheep

HSC
He should've splashed out 100mil for another defender and winger in the transfer window. Too bad he didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)