The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
also, we're gonna spend the dosh on bringing in downing and chimbonda :cool: this season we'll break into the top 4, i'm sure of it.
Tottenham have made some good signings, and will be an even better side if they manage to sign Chimbonda and/or Downing. In any case, they certainly should build upon their impressive last season and are definitely contenders for a top 4 finish...but at which team's expense?!?

I think that Chelsea will be the benchmark once again...with Man Utd, Liverpool and a matured Arsenal side hopefully providing some stiff competition. I think that Tottenham will once again finish 5th this season...but they are certainly capable of pushing the other sides all the way.

hachoo

HSC
My predictions are Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham for top 4. Man U have no where to go without Ruud. He scored the majority of their goals last season.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If Tottenham get up it'll be at United's expense, they've lost Ruud and soon Ronaldo, and still don't have an enforcer in midfield, with neither Liverpool nor Arsenal going backwards much at all over the summer (if we lose Cole we'll extort Chelsea for every last penny, and Pires/Campbell/Bergkamp were all past their best last season anyway). Though I still say the top of the table will look like:
Chelsea
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man U
Spurs

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
my predictions..
Chelsea
Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Spurs

I think everyone is forgetting united finished 2ND last season with GIGGS and O'SHEA in midfield, now we got Carrick and Scholes is coming back, and those who think without RVN we will lost it, Saha-Rooney combo worked wonders end of last season. Plus we still may sign one more player, so i dont think we have anythin to worry bout, we wont win the league but 2nd is assured. We have the best defence, as opposed to arsenal, liverpool and spurs, even with a weak midfield last season we finished above them. I have no doubt we will do the same again

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Best defence my arse. Gunners managed to keep a ridiculous number of European clean sheets with what was, apart from Toure, essentially a second string back line.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
We still finished AHEAD of them, i dont care how many cleansheets aresnal kept in EUROPE, im talking bout the Premiership, united have the better defense, the gunners have sendoros injured, campbell gone, Cole will leave, that leaves ur defense fairly weak, whilst united have ferdninand, brown, neville and now heinze back.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Eboue, Toure, Clichy, Lauren, Flamini, Traore, etc, yeah we probably need another CB, but apart from that defense is fine.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
flamini is not fast at all, lauren is mistake prone, id say ud need at least 2, plus start lookin for a new GK with lehman gettin on he is 36, Henry is gettin on, aladaire is decent but not a direct replacement, tho u guys do have some excellent players, especially Cesc Fabregas-Fantastic midfielder who will get better and better, also Rosicky, had a poor world cup apart from wondergoal, but is quality.

Van Persie too, is quality, tho fairly greedy. But yea at least 2 defenders are needed to remain in top 3, im surprised wenger hasnt tried to sign anyone, especially from Serie a fallout.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
hachoo said:
My predictions are Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham for top 4. Man U have no where to go without Ruud. He scored the majority of their goals last season.
It is a massive shame to see Ruud leave the club...but I have to disagree with your prediction that Manchester United will miss out on a place in the top 4 this season. We have managed to do well without Ruud in the past...and I don't see why United will not continue to do so. He pretty much spent the whole of the latter part of last season warming the bench...and we were very competitive during this time. Though I would like to see Torres, Ibrahimovic or Tevez replace him...I still think that Rooney, Saha, Rossi and Solskjaer are more than capable of getting the job done. Alan Smith's return to fitness is also a massive boost.

As for lacking an enforcer in midfield...I somewhat agree with this statement, but with the signing of Carrick and Scholes' return to fitness...our midfield is certainly stronger than it was last season. As for Ronaldo leaving soon...that has not been confirmed yet. I think that he will stay.

I also believe that we can match Chelsea in defense this season. Van Der Sar proved that he is a world class keeper last season, and Heinze's return to fitness is a huge boost. The partnership shared by Ferdinand and Vidic in the centre of defense also looked very promising towards the end of last season...and I expect those guys to be strong again this season. With Neville, Silvestre, Brown, Evra and O'shea in addition to the guys already mentioned...I firmly believe that defense will be our strong point this season.

Given all of the above, I cannot see any reason why Manchester United will fail to once again finish inside the top 4.

My prediction:

Chelsea
Manchester United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham

...although Tottenham should improve upon last season...the quality of the other 4teams should still mean that they narrowly miss out again. If they do happen to finish inside the top 4...I believe that it will be at the expense of Arsenal. In any case though, I hope that these teams can really take the challenge to Chelsea this season and keep things interesting.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
had the same prediction matt#1,

I am sadned by RVN leaving, he was a legend. i have absolute faith that we will finish 2nd, and at least go far in Fa cup or CLS. Go united..oh and ronnie aint leavin, i guarantee it, at least not this season anyway

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
...although Tottenham should improve upon last season...the quality of the other 4teams should still mean that they narrowly miss out again. If they do happen to finish inside the top 4...I believe that it will be at the expense of Arsenal. In any case though, I hope that these teams can really take the challenge to Chelsea this season and keep things interesting.
if arsenal sign another midfielder and a good defensive utility player they will challenge. they got rid of a lot of deadwood in the summer and their kids are quality. i actually think it's your guys turn to have a mare of a domestic season like arsenal and liverpool did the past two years.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
i dont see us having a poor season at all jimmy, in fact i think we are stronger, defensively and in terms of midfield with carrick, whilst not a huge difference at least we have a recognised CM. Even with the departure of RVN, and his guaranteed 20+ goals, we still have rooney and saha, plus im sure ronaldo, giggs and scholes will chip in. Defensively we are strong, stronger if u include heinze as he missed most of last season, and van der sar will do very well again.

We will be in top 3 easily, i just hope injuries doesnt ruin that.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
if arsenal sign another midfielder and a good defensive utility player they will challenge. they got rid of a lot of deadwood in the summer and their kids are quality. i actually think it's your guys turn to have a mare of a domestic season like arsenal and liverpool did the past two years.
That is a possibility...but I really think that all of those teams are capable of having a fantastic season. We will just have to wait and see.

I expect Liverpool and Man United to improve slightly upon last season...whilst Chelsea should once again step up another level given their signings. Tottenham should also improve slightly.

As for Arsenal...I am really not sure how they will perform this season. Given their disappointing season in the EPL last season, but promising displays in Europe...they really are a bit hard to predict. The maturity and class that the young Arsenal players displayed in Europe does however point to a much better domestic season for them.

To conclude, I think that Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool are all pretty much guaranteed a position in the top 4...and Tottenham should just miss out. Arsenal are a bit of an unknown and could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th.

Jimmy_B

HSC
Led-Zep said:
i just hope injuries doesnt ruin that.
basically i think you guys are one or two injuries away from being really in the shitter. you better hope the boy wonder lasts a whole season. other than that you need more depth up front and a more aggressive midfielder unless fergie wants to drastically change his style of play.

hachoo

HSC
They didn't have Henry half the season matt#1. He was injured for quite a few rounds early last season. I have great faith in Arsenal to do well this year. For some reason, they are a complete side. Their defence, midfield and forwards have come of age and in my opinion, are ready to challenge Chelsea.

Man U do have many strikers in its ranks. Rossi, Rooney, Saha and Solskjaer to name them like you have, but the quality and consistency remains a real problem. Rooney is excellent, but i think the world cup showed his lack of discipline and will always be a problem. I'd like to see Solskjaer and Saha given a run upfront for at least 5 of the early games Man U have. I think it's important that they get an early run to prepare for the long run.

Carrick and Scholes are very good, i agree, and with Ronaldo not leaving, we keep the right wing dangerous. Is Ryan Giggs back or going to play regularly this season? He is a gun on the left.

PS. I think Wes Brown is a clutz in defence.

Jimmy_B

HSC
hachoo said:
They didn't have Henry half the season matt#1. He was injured for quite a few rounds early last season. I have great faith in Arsenal to do well this year. For some reason, they are a complete side. Their defence, midfield and forwards have come of age and in my opinion, are ready to challenge Chelsea.
too young to consistently get the results to challenge chelsea. in a few years however they will be class. at the moment they need some good experienced players to bring the young guys along.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
jimmy,
i wouldnt say we are 1 or 2 injuries from being totally fucked..we have cover in forwards, as ppl have said, rooney, saha,ole,smith,rossi (last 3 not tested or injured) plus if we lose scholes, then o'shea can fill in again, as can smith, we have defense covered. Really, only chelsea have every position covered, Arsenal, for instance, if they lose henry, fabregas, or van persie then they to are fucked, as are liverpool, with gerrard or xabi alonso, and spurs with defoe, king or jenas...UNited have sufficient cover, not what is required but it is decent, same with gunners, pool and spurs. As i said only chelsea have the Required cover of all positions.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
jimmy,
i wouldnt say we are 1 or 2 injuries from being totally fucked..we have cover in forwards, as ppl have said, rooney, saha,ole,smith,rossi (last 3 not tested or injured) plus if we lose scholes, then o'shea can fill in again, as can smith, we have defense covered. Really, only chelsea have every position covered, Arsenal, for instance, if they lose henry, fabregas, or van persie then they to are fucked, as are liverpool, with gerrard or xabi alonso, and spurs with defoe, king or jenas...UNited have sufficient cover, not what is required but it is decent, same with gunners, pool and spurs. As i said only chelsea have the Required cover of all positions.
Well said, Led Zep.

My opinion on the issue of the depth of the 'top 4' sides in the EPL is that the first XI for each of Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal are all quality and certainly capable of competing with Chelsea's first XI. In theory, this means that because only 11 players can play on the field at any one time...each of these teams can pretty much match it with Chelsea if injuries do not take place.

Injuries, however, will inevitably take place, and I have to agree that in such an event, none of these teams have the depth of quality to match it with Chelsea... who seemingly have at least 2 or 3 world class players in every position. Injuries rather than the quality of the first XI for each side will therefore have a greater role in deciding the make-up of the top 4 at the end of the season.

Without bias, however, I would say that Man United is the only side in the EPL capable of even coming close to Chelsea in terms of depth. Liverpool are screwed if they lose Gerrard and Arsenal are fucked if they lose Henry. The same could be said about United and Rooney (especially now that Ruud has left), but I feel that we have more depth in other positions (defence in particular) than Arsenal, Liverpool or Tottenham.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
hachoo said:
They didn't have Henry half the season matt#1. He was injured for quite a few rounds early last season.
Mate, for differing reasons Man United didn't have each of Van Nistelrooy, Heinze, Smith, Neville, Scholes, Solskjaer, Keane or Rossi in our side for significant periods of time during the previous season...so don't even try to argue that the loss of 1 player for a few games was the reason why Arsenal underperformed last season.

As frighteningly good as Henry is...his talent alone does not add up to the sum of the talent of all our players mentioned above. In any case, you are furthering my claim that United have greater depth than Arsenal by claiming that your side is screwed in the absence of 1 single player.

hachoo said:
Carrick and Scholes are very good, i agree, and with Ronaldo not leaving, we keep the right wing dangerous. Is Ryan Giggs back or going to play regularly this season? He is a gun on the left.

PS. I think Wes Brown is a clutz in defence
I expect that Ryan Giggs will play regularly on the left wing again this season...and I hope that he continues to do so until he can no longer make a valuable contribution to the team. Of course, Park and Richardson are there to back him up should Fergie give his old legs a rest.

As for your comment regarding Wes Brown...I feel that you must not have watched him play for quite some time. Yes, he was very mistake riddled early in his United career, but last season he matured into one of the best English centre-backs. That is no mean feat given England's quality in that position. I have full confidence in his ability and feel that heprovides more than capable back-up should Ferdinand or Vidic get injured. In my opinion...he is certainly not as mistake prone as Silvestre (who also had a reasonably impressive previous season).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)