The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (2 Viewers)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
sweet_as said:
Moruniho has said he is after results, not to entertain
Unfortunately for him Abramovich isn't thinking along the same lines, or else why sign the likes of Ballack, Kalou and Sheva?

hachoo

HSC
Ballack and Lampard in the same team definetely doesn't work. They play the same roles in the team, and there isn't enough space for two of them. This year, i think Chelsea have overdone the transfer market and they're suffering the consequences. They do have so much talent, but the team chemistry (refering to FIFA06) isn't that great. With too many new players in the team who haven't played together for minimal amounts of time, I think they're going to bomb out of the Champions League.

Liverpool on the other hand seemed to have done things right. Signings of Gonzalez, Kuyt and Pennant have been really good. Their defence is holding up well without Carragher, their midfield is firing with Alonso, Gerrard and Garcia back. Riise was also in good form, and Gonzalez proving he is an excellent addition to the team.

If Arsenal would get off their damn arse and play properly, pass the damn ball to Henry or Hleb more often they'd win, but they keep wanting to play around with positions and Walcott.

Indeed i admit i may have jumped to conclusions over Man U. They have proven me wrong and I congratulate them. I was right in saying Saha and Solkjaer should be put up front and look what they've done. Even with Rooney out, they're still able to perform. Kudos to Ryan Giggs for coming back. One of my favourite Man U players.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Arsenal's issues this season have not been a lack of passing to Henry or Hleb, they've been:
1. Henry's out of form.
2. Reluctance to shoot in preference of finding the perfect goal. Now while this is the major reason I support Arsenal (i.e. their elegance in preference to a Chelsea style of play), I think that the whole team should play more like Rosicky did the other night and shoot more often, because otherwise we make a stupid mistake, the other team capitalises, then plays 11 men behind the ball for the rest of the game.
3. 4-4-2. Wenger should be playing 4-5-1 because Fabregas can't both set up attacks and defend at the same time, and while Gilberto has done a brilliant job so far of being an absolute rock in CM, but he needs help. Also players such as Hleb and Rosicky are natural CM players, so having 3 CM's and putting vP on the wing where he plays best probably isn't the worst of ideas.
4. We need a LB. Hoyte isn't up to the mark.

Jimmy_B

HSC
withoutaface said:
Arsenal's issues this season have not been a lack of passing to Henry or Hleb, they've been:
1. Henry's out of form.
2. Reluctance to shoot in preference of finding the perfect goal. Now while this is the major reason I support Arsenal (i.e. their elegance in preference to a Chelsea style of play), I think that the whole team should play more like Rosicky did the other night and shoot more often, because otherwise we make a stupid mistake, the other team capitalises, then plays 11 men behind the ball for the rest of the game.
3. 4-4-2. Wenger should be playing 4-5-1 because Fabregas can't both set up attacks and defend at the same time, and while Gilberto has done a brilliant job so far of being an absolute rock in CM, but he needs help. Also players such as Hleb and Rosicky are natural CM players, so having 3 CM's and putting vP on the wing where he plays best probably isn't the worst of ideas.
4. We need a LB. Hoyte isn't up to the mark.

since the start of last season.

when arsenal score first, their results are as follows:

P 35, Won 32 , Drew 1, Lost 2, For 86, Against 17

when arsenal concede first:

P 21 , Won 2 , Drew 6, Lost 13 , For 16 , Against 32

basically you got no balls in your team to lift them when they're down. henry as captain was a disaster move. at least vieira had bollocks.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Problem is, now that Henry's got the armband, it's hard to take it away from him again. Toure or Lehmann would both be terrific for the role I think. Too bad. I know it's early, but another loss in the next couple of matches and they're already out of the running, a bit of a shame.

Hachoo- the main problem with playing Ballack and Lampard together is that they nee a 3rd CM to cover for their charges forward. This means playing with either only one striker and 2 wingers, as has been their preferred set up thusfar under Mourinho, or using a whopping 4 CMs as they did on the weekend. They won, but they won, they sure won even uglier than they do normally by not using any of their wide players. It's really a pretty happy dilemma for most managers to have with 4 top quality CMs (Makelele, Lampard, Essien, Ballack) and 4 excellent wingers (Robben, Mikel, SWP, Cole) to choose from, but being able to rotate his options effectively from game to game will go a long way towards determining how good a manager Mourinho really is. In the past he's really only had one system- striker, 3 MFs and 2 wingers, which worked well in the league as far as getting results goes, but not well enough in cup games where they trailed, when he'd only have Robert Huth to chuck on in set pieces in the dying minutes. When they did try something different (e.g. FA cup final vs Liverpool where they played with no width and 2 strikers), they got convincingly beaten.

With these new players they will be able to implement new tactics and throw on different players in different situations, so in theory, they have a squad that could, and really should be not only winning the league, but at least making the final of every cup. The only question is if Mourinho is up to the task.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
sweet_as said:
Moruniho has said he is after results, not to entertain
But wit such a squad, you would feel a bit disappointed if your team ain't winnin in style. Real Madrid got booed off last season in a league game last season for a highly unconvincin win. Well maybe Chelsea fans don't like stylish displays, or just ain't used to seein them often over the years. :)

Chelsea played wit a 4-2-2-2 formation on the weekend, the lack of width and cohesion in midfield failed to give em any threat and Blackburn were clearly able to offset any quality separatin the two teams. I admit I do sometimes use that formation in FM, but only when I'm down a goal or two and needin to gamble.

@waf: reluctance to shoot in preference to the perfect goal? I think you're sayin they're overplayin the ball right...? Well teams do that when they're out of form.

Jimmy_B

HSC
mido, malbranque and chimbonda sign for spurs :)

now that's a healthy looking squad now....

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Liverpool have made a bid for Lucas Neill :( I really have a feeling he'll be a bench player for them, and I wanna see him stay at the Rovers.
And any source Jimmy? I saw Mido, but I haven't heard anything about Malbranque or Chimbonda

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
After Neill broke Carragher's leg a few yrs back i would never would hav thought he'd one day sign for Liverpool lol. He's a boyhood Red too, but then again arent they all?

A good addition to squad, he can play anywhere across the defence...most likely he'll be backup for Finnan at RB. CB is pretty much covered with Hyypia, Carra, Agger and Paletta while at LB we've got Riise plus Aurelio.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Sif not go to Barcelona after what Neeskens about him. :)

Goin to Liverpool would be wrong, why leave as Blackburn captain and then become a benchwarmer.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Blackburn have rejected a bid from Liverpool's Lucas Neill.
:D
And the Blackburn captain is Andy Todd

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Giuseppi Rossi gone to Newcastle until January. He should get some time off the bench atleast with only Ameobi and Martins to contend with. Not sure if Luque is playing striker or mid?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I think he's left wing, sometimes reverting to forward? Not too sure

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I think Neill will still go to Liverpool, rumours are that Liverpool are prepared to make an improved (and imo, insane, considering he's off contract in a year) bid of £4m.

The situation is, Neill wants to leave, as he thinks he's destined for better things.. and if he is, he won't be a benchwarmer at Anfield. Then again, it's difficult to see Rafa unsettling the harmony of the first choice back 4 too much more this year. He already has the task of bedding Daniel Agger in as Hyypia's long term replacement, and Aurelio might also play his fair share of games in place of Riise, so.. if he were to shuffle the RB position as well, I'd be quite worried about leaking goals.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Any improved offer for Neill is dependant on Liverpool selling Kromkamp, most likely to PSV.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Recent world transfers

Manuel Fernandes [Benfica - Portsmouth] Loan
Thomas Gravesen [Real Madrid - Celtic] Undisclosed
Robert Huth [Chelsea - Middlesbrough] £6m
Stilian Petrov [Celtic - Aston Villa] £6.5m
Jonathan Woodgate [Real Madrid - Middlesbrough] Loan
Souleymane Diawara [Sochaux - Charlton] £3.71m
Giuseppe Rossi [Manchester United - Newcastle] 3 month loan
Joris Mathijsen [AZ - Hamburg] £4.07m (to replace Bouhlarouz)
Mateja Kezman [Atletico Madrid - Fenerbahce £4.73m (to replace Anelka)
Joaquin Sanchez [Real Betis - Valencia] £16.87m
David Odonkor [Borussia Dortmund - Real Betis] £4.39m
Maniche [Dinamo Moscow - Atletico Madrid] £6.08m
Christian Vieri [Un-attached - Atalanta] Free
Nikola Zigic [Red Star Belgrade - Racing Santander]
Vincent Kompany [Anderlect - Hamburg] £5.51m (to replace Van Buyten)
Pablo Aimar [Valencia - Real Zaragoza] £7.51m
Mista [Valencia - Atletico Madrid] £2.73m

Arsenal/Man Utd are being strongly linked with Tevez/Mascherano

Another interesting rumour is a Reyes -> RM and Baptista -> Arsenal ... being swapped on 1 year loan deals

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Bargain there for Vincent Kompany, quality player. Interesting also that Athletico are selling Kezman, I expect this means that they're fairly confident of signing Reyes. Looks like they're building a quality squad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)