• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 08/09 (1 Viewer)

Charizard

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Bollocks.

Di Santo is unproven, Pizarro has gone to Werder Bremen on loan. So you're left with Anelka (2 league goals for Chelsea), Drogba (injured) and Kalou. Fearsome forward line indeed!

But whatever makes you happy I guess.
Chelsea usually only play with one proper striker anyway. I'm quite happy with what we have really.

Considering most of our goals are scored by midfielders anyway it's not a huge issue.

Attacking options of joe cole, anelka, kalou, drogba and di santo isn't that bad.

I'd be happy to see di santo get a run, be nice to develop a star rather then buy them for once.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Charizard said:
Chelsea usually only play with one proper striker anyway. I'm quite happy with what we have really.

Considering most of our goals are scored by midfielders anyway it's not a huge issue.

Attacking options of joe cole, anelka, kalou, drogba and di santo isn't that bad.

I'd be happy to see di santo get a run, be nice to develop a star rather then buy them for once.
Chelsea play under the one striker system only because of Drogba, because he says he likes it that way, and even refuses to play alongside Anelka as a 2 man strike partnership. This was probably due to him chucking a fit after Mourinho left though.

What you're relying on here is midfielders scoring your goals all the time. That's like us saying "oh most of our goals are scored by Ronaldo so we don't need another striker". Face it, Chelsea missed out on a great opportunity to add to their squad. I would've been much more worried had Robinho went there, because he was one of Madrid's best players last season.

Charizard

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Chelsea play under the one striker system only because of Drogba, because he says he likes it that way, and even refuses to play alongside Anelka as a 2 man strike partnership. This was probably due to him chucking a fit after Mourinho left though.

What you're relying on here is midfielders scoring your goals all the time. That's like us saying "oh most of our goals are scored by Ronaldo so we don't need another striker". Face it, Chelsea missed out on a great opportunity to add to their squad. I would've been much more worried had Robinho went there, because he was one of Madrid's best players last season.

Not really, im quite sure Drogba, Anelka and Kalour will all chip in this season, along with the mids and the odd defender goal. We are probably a better defensive team then Man Utd so we don't necessarily have to be a better attacking one.

I don't think anyone is saying Robinho wouldn't have been nice, but i don't think if we bad this season it will be for a lack of another striker.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Thank GOD France won. I don't wanna be having anymore doubts about going to South Africa anymore.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Charizard said:
We are probably a better defensive team then Man Utd so we don't necessarily have to be a better attacking one.
Not according to last season's stats. Chelsea conceded more goals than us, both in the league and in the Champions League. No surprises we won them both.

Chelsea against City this weekend, we'll see what you've missed, won't we? :p

theprodigy

HSC
this has got to be liverpool's year ..

dreamin' of the double - champions league in rome and 18 year old wait of the premiership ... bit optimistic beacuse of they way they qualified for the CL but hey

Aplus

HSC
N/A
FA Cup + Premier League double. Bring it back to the good old days of Dalglish and Rush XD

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
theprodigy said:
this has got to be liverpool's year ..

dreamin' of the double - champions league in rome and 18 year old wait of the premiership ... bit optimistic beacuse of they way they qualified for the CL but hey
Aplus said:
FA Cup + Premier League double. Bring it back to the good old days of Dalglish and Rush XD
u-borat said:
hattrick of CL wins in rome.
You guys, please stick around for the entire season. :)

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Up you mighty Reds! Great game from Kuyt, the whole team clearly dominated United, deserved more goals. Doesn't look good for the red devils.

YNWA.

P.S. Where are the United fans now?

\/anessa

HSC
seano77 said:
Up you mighty Reds! Great game from Kuyt, the whole team clearly dominated United, deserved more goals. Doesn't look good for the red devils.

YNWA.

P.S. Where are the United fans now?
Present. :(

Yes, I'm bitterly swallowing the defeat. 'Pool concededly outperformed us for most of the match but frustratingly an own goal helped you guys on your way. :(

Congrats on the elusive win though. ;)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
So much promise this season. Notice that we're not trying to catch up early on anymore, which is the situation that we normally find ourselves in at this stage of the campaign.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
LMF^^ said:
You guys, please stick around for the entire season. :)
oh noooooooooooooo
Although I know inevitably United will top Liverpool

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Firstly, of course I'm deeply hurt by the weekend's result. We got off to the perfect start then just conceded an incredibly fucked up goal. That for me was what got Liverpool back in it. From then on they just gained momentum from general play and from the home fans. We never had enough control of the ball in the second half, and conceded through yet another fuck up in defence. It wasn't so much that Liverpool won the game against us, it felt more like we lost it ourselves.

Credit must be given to Liverpool though, even though it's I'm saying this with gritted teeth. They played better than us, so they deserved victory. I'm just really pissed off that we lost, because that was a game we really could've won.

Rafa's first league win against United, how many years in the waiting? Enjoy it while it lasts because it won't last long. :)

I keep an interest in La Liga also. I've watched Barca's first match against Numancia and they were shite. Didn't watch their game on the weekend but I think they must have been shite also. Something's definitely gone missing for them, maybe it's time for Messi to learn to shoot like Ronaldo.

Also ESPN here isn't showing La Liga live any more, and instead they're showing Serie A matches. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. They better show the Super Classico, if they don't I'm gonna be majorly pissed off.

\/anessa

HSC
Groucho Marxist said:
any la liga fans, it seems this is just an english premier league thread rather than football thread ;)
Not as committed to La Liga since the games are played at such awkwardly inconvenient early hours of the morning, although I do make every effort to watch Valencia's matches and el clásico's if broadcasted. ;)

And yea - doesn't help that ESPN aren't showing live games anymore. I'm not a fan of watching delayed broadcasts and find online streaming too frustrating. :(

HSC
:) they still show some matches live, like the villareal-deportivo match they showed last night. LMF you are right, barcelona have been very average this season but that's mainly due to their difficulty adapting to the new coaching regime of pep and also the loss of a few players plus exclusion from the squad for players like thierry henry.

although they're looking to remedy this, and lately they've been rumoured to be interested in sergio aguero - not sure how much truth is in that though ;) they were unlucky to lose hleb the other night but the defence was pretty poor and they got what they deserved.

wouldn't be too concerned on their part though, for some reason a couple of the major teams are struggling with their defence, like barcelona, real madrid (although they won vs numancia, pepe had a shocker and their back-line was completely depleted), and especially ac milan (who are in horrible shape after they lost again last night! looks to be the end of ancelotti). i think the only "big" continental team that's impressed me with their defence so far are juventus and inter.

you're right about the match the other night LMF! liverpool didn't play particularly well and a few of their goals came down to luck but that was probably one of the worst united performances in recent memory. i wouldn't be too happy if i was a liverpool fan - yes, a win against united is great, but it was not a convincing performance by utd, nor was it champagne football from liverpool. ;)

champions league just a few days away, who's everyone going for?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)