The Official Big Day Out 2006 Thread (stickied?) (1 Viewer)

a8o

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
their sole three albums run in total for just over 1.5 hours they could easily remove "we will fall", "i need somebody", "death trip", "l.a. blues" (it'd be orgasmic but i'd doubt they'd play it), and a few of their other weaker (BUT STILL FUCKING AWESOME BECAUSE THEY'RE THE FUCKING STOOGES) songs and be left with the best set ever. but they have to play "i got a right".

i have a feeling kiosk will get mauled by everyone.
I duno why I bothered posting this:

On this tour, only tracks from the first two albums will be played due to absence of later-era Stooges lead-guitarist James Williamson in the line-up on the later tracks. Therefore, ‘I’ve Got A Right’ will not be played.

You’re would be right to criticise the limited recorded output of the early Stooges, but the Williamson/Raw Power years are a totally different story. The Rhino re-release of the first album was content to include alternate mixes, most notably a lengthened ‘We Will Fall’ (I agree, one of their less interesting songs) originally truncated by producer John Cale, but has little else to offer. Any attempts to add value to ‘Funhouse’ were redundant anyhow due to the excellent ‘Complete Funhouse Sessions’ box set, which sequentially included every misstep, fragment of studio banter and note played while the band worked on ‘Funhouse’. But despite giving the many die-hard Stooges fans exactly what they wanted, it was undoubtedly a niche product.

However, the James Williamson/Raw Power era yielded an incredible quantity of material. Nobody exactly knows how much tape rolled during the Raw Power sessions, but it is obvious the Stooges had more than enough material to approach recording classic LP when disintegrated.

'Rubber Legs', 'I Got Nothin'', 'Scene of the Crime', 'Head On', 'I Got A Right', 'Johanna', 'Open Up And Bleed', 'How It Hurts', 'Cock In My Pocket', 'Heavy Liquid'.

Eventually Iggy Pop was committed to rehab and their musical legacy languished until David Bowie arranged for Iggy and Williamson to record Kill City in 1976 or ‘77, where some old unreleased Stooges songs ‘Johanna’, ‘I Got Nothin’’ were realised. Perhaps by Williamson’s presence (he is an amazing guitarist), ‘Kill City’ is more like ‘Funhouse’ in flavour than 1977 solo Iggy Pop, essential if you’re even remotely interested in Iggy Pop.

In the 1970s, the Stooges would have sounded a little like they do on ‘Metallic KO’, famously dubbed by Lester Bangs "the only rock album where you can actually hear hurled beer bottles breaking against guitar strings", but today they’re a little more subdued as on ‘Telluric Chaos’ clearly adapting to the realities of the aging rock star. Like many other rock stars of his generation, Iggy says he takes nothing stronger than a cup of tea, so expect not the peanut butter, broken glass antics of the past, but an experienced frontman at the helm of a well oiled machine. Iggy Pop on ‘King Biscuit’s Flower Hour’ is the best I think he’s ever sounded, but that was nigh on 20 years ago. I’ve been desperately short of money lately so held out on Big Day Out tickets in the slim hope a (cheaper) sideshow would be scheduled. As it stands, I’ll try to jump the fence so as not to miss one of my favourite bands. Wish me luck!

PS: ‘Death Trip’ slays, ‘LA Blues’ is great when you’re in the mood and ‘I Need Somebody’ is a great album track. All are classics.

karnevil

HSC
Sniffer Dog alert courtesy of the Big Day Out
Reported on Monday, Jan 23, 2006. 16:04 by i_have_ADD

An official announcement has come from Big Day Out organisers warning that it looks likely sniffer dogs will be patrolling the entrance to the Sydney and Melbourne Big Day Out this year. This isn’t the first time sniffer dogs will have been present at the Sydney event, but will mark their debut for Melbourne and follows their recent operation at Summadayze on NYD.

Big Day Out organisers have advised, “In the unlikely event you are mistakenly searched, please keep calm but register your complaint ASAP to the appropriate organisation.” Numbers provided in the press release are Legal Aid Hotline on 1800 10 18 10 (if you’re under 18) or LawAccess on 1300 888 529 (for over 18s).

Stay tuned to ITM for updates

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/aust/24685/

em_516

bludging..
HSC
hey, are they gonna have those loos for chicks where you pee standing up? i heard they were but only from a mate haha..dunno why someone would want to stand when they can sit :S

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
em_516 said:
hey, are they gonna have those loos for chicks where you pee standing up? i heard they were but only from a mate haha..dunno why someone would want to stand when they can sit :S
SHE PEE !!

icecreamdisco

HSC
a8o said:
I duno why I bothered posting this:

On this tour, only tracks from the first two albums will be played due to absence of later-era Stooges lead-guitarist James Williamson in the line-up on the later tracks. Therefore, ‘I’ve Got A Right’ will not be played.

You’re would be right to criticise the limited recorded output of the early Stooges, but the Williamson/Raw Power years are a totally different story. The Rhino re-release of the first album was content to include alternate mixes, most notably a lengthened ‘We Will Fall’ (I agree, one of their less interesting songs) originally truncated by producer John Cale, but has little else to offer. Any attempts to add value to ‘Funhouse’ were redundant anyhow due to the excellent ‘Complete Funhouse Sessions’ box set, which sequentially included every misstep, fragment of studio banter and note played while the band worked on ‘Funhouse’. But despite giving the many die-hard Stooges fans exactly what they wanted, it was undoubtedly a niche product.

However, the James Williamson/Raw Power era yielded an incredible quantity of material. Nobody exactly knows how much tape rolled during the Raw Power sessions, but it is obvious the Stooges had more than enough material to approach recording classic LP when disintegrated.

'Rubber Legs', 'I Got Nothin'', 'Scene of the Crime', 'Head On', 'I Got A Right', 'Johanna', 'Open Up And Bleed', 'How It Hurts', 'Cock In My Pocket', 'Heavy Liquid'.

Eventually Iggy Pop was committed to rehab and their musical legacy languished until David Bowie arranged for Iggy and Williamson to record Kill City in 1976 or ‘77, where some old unreleased Stooges songs ‘Johanna’, ‘I Got Nothin’’ were realised. Perhaps by Williamson’s presence (he is an amazing guitarist), ‘Kill City’ is more like ‘Funhouse’ in flavour than 1977 solo Iggy Pop, essential if you’re even remotely interested in Iggy Pop.

In the 1970s, the Stooges would have sounded a little like they do on ‘Metallic KO’, famously dubbed by Lester Bangs "the only rock album where you can actually hear hurled beer bottles breaking against guitar strings", but today they’re a little more subdued as on ‘Telluric Chaos’ clearly adapting to the realities of the aging rock star. Like many other rock stars of his generation, Iggy says he takes nothing stronger than a cup of tea, so expect not the peanut butter, broken glass antics of the past, but an experienced frontman at the helm of a well oiled machine. Iggy Pop on ‘King Biscuit’s Flower Hour’ is the best I think he’s ever sounded, but that was nigh on 20 years ago. I’ve been desperately short of money lately so held out on Big Day Out tickets in the slim hope a (cheaper) sideshow would be scheduled. As it stands, I’ll try to jump the fence so as not to miss one of my favourite bands. Wish me luck!

PS: ‘Death Trip’ slays, ‘LA Blues’ is great when you’re in the mood and ‘I Need Somebody’ is a great album track. All are classics.
whoa, a bigger stooges fan than me or artfag. you rock. (and fuck whoever dissed this post)

however, i should let you know that i'm not reading that.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
white stripes were great, though they finished earlier than expected!!! weh.
I think it was because of the equipment failure. :(

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
white stripes were great, though they finished earlier than expected!!! weh.
I think it was because of the equipment failure. :(
I thought they were average.

Living End, rocked the fucken stadium. Fuck oath that was awesome.
Wanted to see them for years...since I first bought their album in primary school.

Franz were pretty good, catchy, secksy dancing was involved.

Blasko was really cool to see. She dances funny :rofl:
(plus I stood my ground with a security guard who was squirting me with a hose :p)

Faker were gay. They didnt play Hurricane.
"PLAY HURRICANE YOU FUCKERS!!"
they didnt listen :(

(soooooooooooo should have gone to the bolier room to see The Presets.)

Iggy and teh stooges sounded good. But couldnt get a good spot so it was tre gay :(

Youth Group were preeeety kewl. Nice finish.

cbfed to stay for paci----shi---paci----- them fucks.

ps. If anyone BoSers were watching the Virgin Mobile screen, did you see my msg? :p

Last edited:

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
mr_brightside said:
Faker were gay. They didnt play Hurricane.
"PLAY HURRICANE YOU FUCKERS!!"
did u even go to see faker ? cause they sure as hell did play hurricane. :confused:

nicksta_40

HSC
mudvayne mosh pit was NUTS!!!

Band of the day goes to The Living End, Iggy was a good performer, letting the audience dance up on stage with him

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah living end were great, but wtf with their new songs :(
mars volta = not that great outdoors.
white stripes = good on meg for actually singing. great old songs :)

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
i really liked sarah blasko(spelling?) the go team, faker, iggy, white stripes. and shihad where awesome also. and i cant forget gerling,

icecreamdisco

HSC
stooges were the highlight for me (predictably), just wish they'd played something from raw power, even though that was a slightly different lineup back then. and their two new songs they played at the end were kinda weak. still, i was going ballistic for most of the set.

unsung hero(in)es of the day were sleater-kinney. simply exceptional musicianship on display. i might see 'em tomorrow at he gaelic club since they seem better suited to small venues with dedicated fans; the bdo crowd didn't seem all that into it. 'cos they're mostly cunts.

others:

m.i.a. - good sound sound + stage presence, i danced and had fun.

henry rollins - basically another of his 'flatter our music taste & political stance' sessions, but he's a great speaker no matter what. reminds me of the boisterous dad who embarrasses his kid at his birthday party but entertains the kid's friends.

edan - utter genius, despite a few technical fuckups.

gerling - they've change their sound for almost the last decade and still sound like every band around. nothing else was on then.

the go! team - same show as i saw last year @ the metro. hence, i was a little bored. but they were great the first time round.

the white stripes - they were OK, not as good as expected considering what i'd heard about their live shows. playing a few seconds after the stooges taints my appreciation, though.

the presets - pretty melodies, but kill the singer. everyone went nuts, though.

common - only caught the last half, was OK.

good times, all round. however, all the people pissing on the floor in the stadium toilets - not in the stall, in the corridor, IN THE FUCKING LINE - can go die. a fight broke out as resut of this and a guy got his face shoved into the piss puddle. so frighteningly primitive.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
yeah living end were great, but wtf with their new songs :(
It'll take some time to get used to it, kinda like Modern Artillery, but im loving the new songs :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It was just that I didnt realise they had new songs. Prisoner of society went off though. Everyone singing along the song that rocked their high school days.

Mars volta was good, nay, excellent, but they're not an outdoors band. I'd love to see them at the enmore, but it's all sold out :( Anyone want to sell me a ticket

HSC
kiosk were fun as always. not the best sound, but i still think it's cool that they played BDO

presets. stayed for one song, hardcore danced, laughed then walked out

sleater-kinney were absolutely fucking amazing, i loved every bit of it.

edan. holy shit. any rapper that namedrops love, pearls before swine and king crimson is awesome in my books. but not only that, awesome technique on the mic + decks at the same time

go!team. just as fun as the last time i saw 'em

henry rollins was OK, i left after half an hour and went to Silent Disco which was insanely fun

MIA fun but a bit short. beats were banging but the vocals weren't that impressive

THE STOOGES HOLY FUCKING SHIT. the night before i went and saw Mike Watt and Galluci play Stooges covers and i thought that was one of the best shows i've ever seen- but last night, man, that was the craziest and most awesome show full stop. the best part was when around 50 people rushed to the stage during 'real cool time' and 'no fun'.

caught around 10 minutes of the white stripes, wasn't really impressed, but then again the stooges are a hard act to follow

common. good way to end the night. chilled back music, awesome rhymes, and the crowd was really into it, me and a lot of people around were rapping/singing along to all the words

so tired. my ears are still ringing and i've got the worst tan line ever. pretty damn fun day though

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)