The OFFICIAL Bar Thread (1 Viewer)

yeow333

HSC
Just thought I'd start this thread because I got so sick of trawling through incoherent responses on people wondering what it was like and the like.

So lets discuss all things alcohol:

• Bars
  • Clubs
  • Promoting
  • RSA + RCG
What its like to work in any of these, the ups, the downs , the rate of pay-- up to you guys. Lets just keep it all central to bars and not deviate into irrelevent diatribes.

I would love to hear from people who are already working in the industry.

Discuss away.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i work at a bar.

generally, it is very fun. the people you meet are pretty nice to you just because a bar is where they relax and muck around. you put a tip jar out on the bench and after a good (ie busy) night, you'd wind up with about $100 or so in tips. works out to be quite worth it. the pay itself is not bad so even though you get buggered after a 9 hour shift, you look at the money and think 'that was pretty good'.

the biggest problem you will have when you're serving alco is refusing drinks and spotting the drunk ones. now, my management encourages us to refuse drinks early rather than late. if you think the bloke is tipsy, he's probably nearly drunk, because people can hide it pretty well. what generally happens is, you refuse a guy drinks, his mate will buy it for him and it is very, very freaken hard to track that. that's when you rely on the security guys to patrol for you and avoid it. if you get caught serving someone drunk, you get fined $5.5k, your manager $50k, your workplace $250k + the liquor license. so that's plenty of incentive to refuse drinks.

yeow333

HSC
Do you work in Sydney?

What type of bar is it? + Did you need to do your RCG to get in ?

What type of shifts do you usually work?

cheers

HSC
my rate of pay is pretty sweet, about $19 during the week to about $26 on weekends. i didn't have a current rsa, but my work periodically pays for all f&b staff to do it.

it's a pretty sweet job really, i don't do super late shifts (i work in a hotel lobby bar, not a nightclub) so the latest i generally finish is about 2am or so. i'd look into similar kinda places if you're not up for working until 6am, and the crowd is generally less rowdy fuckwits than your usual bar i guess. also a bar is a good place if you like to be able to be a bit of a dickhead at work.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
they will be interesting only if you try and talk to them. bar is a relaxed place, so generally people will respond to your questions and remarks.

re katie - that's a pretty sweet job. nice and fancy place, certainly less drunk fks than most other places. wouldn't be too busy, would it?

HSC
gets hectic sometimes especially during school holidays, i made cocktails for about eight hours straight last night without stopping (okay i stopped for a two minute red bull break :eek:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)