The Official 2007 AFL Thread (2 Viewers)

SyCoTiC

HSC
Well.. My dark horse pick for this year would probably be Geelong. They're so even across the board and if big Ottens can fire up in the forward line this season, then that will make up for their dubious forward line structure in past seasons. Bomber Thompson will be hoping to shut critics up with a solid season this year.

wyho

HSC
N/A
SyCoTiC said:
Haha same reason. They're way too soft to be in the hunt by season's end but Ross Lyon might slap some sense into the blokes. I can't see them winning it either unless their forward line is firing, where they have a tendency to choke or get sucked in when other teams start to wreak havoc, but I blame that partly on crappy coaching on Grant Thomas' behalf. You saw it the year before against the Swans, he sent big Fraser down to fullback to watch over Bazza just because he felt Maguire couldn't handle him.

LOL i remember that match.... and bazza kept kickin goals even when the fat shit fraser was on him.

SyCoTiC

HSC
Hahahaha! Matty Maguire is as soft as a sponge cake. The kid was apparently puking during half time after that tap to the stomach.

wyho

HSC
N/A
SyCoTiC said:
He ain't shit but he's soft. Can't even stay on the field for a full season but he shows exactly why he's capable of tearing teams apart if you watched them play the Tigers 3 years ago when he booted 4 goals in the first quarter by himself. Absolute machine.
seriously he might be delisted by the end of this year if he doesnt play full time this year. he had been sitting his sport for around 5 years and didnt play consistently.

SyCoTiC

HSC
Ruck stocks are low. They delisted Andrew Ericksson last season, I can't see them delisting Doyle at all. Sydney has always had a history of terrible ruckmen and it has shadowed the team's capabilities.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
SyCoTiC said:
Ruck stocks are low. They delisted Andrew Ericksson last season, I can't see them delisting Doyle at all. Sydney has always had a history of terrible ruckmen and it has shadowed the team's capabilities.
I disagree with that we have never had good ruck men. I mean we have never had the unbelievable ruckemn that some other teams have had but I reckon that the Jolly/Ball pair was the best combo in the league at that point. I also feel that Everrit/Jolly will be the best this season.

wyho

HSC
N/A
yes jason ball was heaps good, ball/dolly pair was the pair that won the premiership for the swans. last years gf was terrible cos ball retired. this year they will be in the chance as spida came.

SyCoTiC

HSC
You don't understand what I'm trying to say do you? Both those players were traded from other teams. I'm talking about our own ruck supplies from our development divisions which has been lacking the depth to produce our own ruckmen and thus, because of a lack of these stocks I can't see the Swans delisting Doyle unless they were to pick up another potent ruckmen from another team. You'd be a fool to delist him when he's the only back-up ruckmen we've got.

True that the Swans now have a very good ruck division in the senior years but the fact of the matter is, Sydney would rather produce their own ruckmen and save those picks for the draft for someone else or pick up a better player from another team rather than having that constant reliance on replenishing the big men. It's only recently that the Swans have actually picked up the pace with gaining the services of established ruckmen but that only kicked in when Paul Roos took over the job - Jason Ball was injured half the time under Rocket Eade and Jolly probably never would've been picked up if he was still coaching the Swans.

Last edited:

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Thats a silly thing to say. We havn't produced our star forwards for a while either (Hall and before that Lockett). The Swans don't try and not get good ruckmen, I'm sure there are a couple of youngsters in the reserves who the swans think will play ruck well. The swans wnt a good young ruckman to come out of there ranks and be a star but the problem is that is very hard to produce.

SyCoTiC

HSC
You just regurgitated what I said.. =.="

NSW is not an AFL dominated state. It's a Rugby League dominated state. The junior development over here sees a lot of talent going to other football codes. Take a look at the line up we had last season and practically 2/3 of the team isn't from NSW's junior development. You need to understand how the rookie development scheme works - NSW AFL has a reserve grade with young talents playing there who are 'ready-made' for senior level football if they get the call-up and right at the moment they don't have a 'ready-made' ruckmen after the delisting of Andrew Ericksson - The only possible player apart from Doyle to back up Jolly and Spida if either were unable to play. Hence, they wouldn't drop Doyle unless they had another 'ready-made' ruckmen which they don't, and until they do they're not going to delist Doyle.

Team-management wise, you want the best possible thing for your team and if you are able to save your picks on other players other than ruckmens then that's a bonus and every team strives to get themselves in that position. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw and you manage to pick up a star player late in the draft or you trade for a player and he turns out to be a superstar, you just won't know until you unearth that hidden talent.

To tell the truth, ruckmens are probably the hardest players to both develop and gain the services of from other clubs in contrast to midfielders. Your wants can't be satisfied unless there's a supply of them on the market and with insufficient established ones in the AFL, you resort to developing your own talent.

And we have produced star forwards. Michael O'Loughlin, Adam Goodes, Adam Schneider, Ryan O'Keefe and Amon Buchanan are all a result from producing and getting the best out of these players. Don't say they haven't produced star forwards. The only thing they haven't been able to produce are ruckmens and genuine classy midfielders which they pick up in drafts and trades.

sk1001

HSC
What kind of example are AFL players setting for the youth of today? It's an utter disgrace. I'm willing to estimate that 1 in 5 AFL players has taken one form of illicit drug during their playing career. Apart from that, there's the drunken nights out and pub brawls, not to mention the woman beating antics of such prettyboy players such as Brodie Holland.

The AFL and it's players need to take a good long hard look at themselves, it's an absolute shambles.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
It's the same with all sport stars. They get a massive ego and do stupid stuff. Nothing new.

sk1001

HSC
Gilbert1 said:
It's the same with all sport stars. They get a massive ego and do stupid stuff. Nothing new.
Yes, but drug abuse in AFL is RIFE. This epidemic is beyond any sort of acceptable level.....

SyCoTiC

HSC
Um no.

It's just publicised a lot more heavily and much more in the open. The NRL likes to keep their doors closed when it comes to this business, though I must say the Eagles have some serious issues to sort out. Random drug testing is a part of it and players are willing to take that risk - I bet 1 in 5 players in the NRL also take illicit drugs. So does every other code of sport as well, the AFL just managed to catch these guys at the right time. This doesn't apply to the majority of the players bar the fact that many of these players seem to come from West Coast and Collingwood in particular, though it spoils the image of the code I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Take a look at the Bulldogs from just a couple of years back in the NRL. It's all a minority. Mitchell Sargent anyone?

sk1001

HSC
SyCoTiC said:
Um no.

It's just publicised a lot more heavily and much more in the open. The NRL likes to keep their doors closed when it comes to this business, though I must say the Eagles have some serious issues to sort out. Random drug testing is a part of it and players are willing to take that risk - I bet 1 in 5 players in the NRL also take illicit drugs. So does every other code of sport as well, the AFL just managed to catch these guys at the right time. This doesn't apply to the majority of the players bar the fact that many of these players seem to come from West Coast and Collingwood in particular, though it spoils the image of the code I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Take a look at the Bulldogs from just a couple of years back in the NRL. It's all a minority. Mitchell Sargent anyone?
Stop referring to NRL. Nobody gives a rats ass about that abomination of a sport. AFL is clearly in a pickle, stop covering it up, and face the facts. Many many players are drugfucked.

SyCoTiC

HSC
LMAO!

I never covered them up. They do have an issue but they are professional enough to handle it. By the looks of it you're a football fan. Wait til the can of worms are open there, not saying that there will be but I don't doubt that at some stage there will be. Clearly one-eyed I see. =)

sk1001

HSC
SyCoTiC said:
LMAO!

I never covered them up. They do have an issue but they are professional enough to handle it. By the looks of it you're a football fan. Wait til the can of worms are open there, not saying that there will be but I don't doubt that at some stage there will be. Clearly one-eyed I see. =)
Listen, there is little doubt there are drug takers in every sport, but at the moment, there is no other sport out there that is suffering as badly from this problem as AFL.

At least you have the common sense to call the round ball game football. :)

SyCoTiC

HSC
Meh, I still think they should've came up with a different name for the rugby codes and Aussie Rules instead of football.

Each sport has its dark time. Namely, the NRL from 2002 - 2004, the Rugby Union in 2005 - 2006 and now the AFL in 2007. The media like to stir things up and the targets just seem to change all the time. This will all pass in due time.

Though I do believe that this drug problem won't go away at all. It's just part of it and the community has to accept it either way because there are always going to be people who are willing to challenge the system and take that risk. It's inevitable.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
how crazy was the pies/roos match today. only saw the last quarter but apparently, the pieswere crap throughout the match.
must say:
the players were ordinary,
the commentators were ordinary,
the on field reporters were ordinary
and the umpires were atrocious.

bizarre

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
sydney is gettin smashed by the west coast eagles, but i wouldnt rule them out just yet, as the swans are known for the great comebacks
im hoping that this match would be decided by less than a goal, but the way theyre playing, i dont think thats gonna happen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)