The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

swisstruffles

HSC
i heard that there will be no relegation for those involved clubs if italy win (which happened)...but im not sure if that was official or not

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Camoranesi promised he'd cut his hair if they win, so thats what was going on there.

Furthermore, I have no sympathy for Zidane if he is remembered for this. Like I said earlier, this isnt the first time he's been sent off for head butting on field, so it definitely cant be palmed off as a one off thing. Given this, it would not be a surprise at all if what provoked him was something harmless. No matter what anyone says - even if racist - that shit doesnt fly.

Bunny04: are you purposely spelling Zidane as Zadine, or do you just not know you've spelt it wrong about 10 times?

Last edited:

Kabeio

k.
HSC
I didnt care as much after Australia left. Though i didnt want either Italy or france to win....they should've drawed somehow dont know what it would've encompassed however.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Kabeio said:
....they should've drawed somehow dont know what it would've encompassed however.
errr right. I have this feeling no clubs will get relegated, such is the corruption that exists :s

tempco

HSC
acmilan said:
Furthermore, I have no sympathy for Zidane if he is remembered for this. Like I said earlier, this isnt the first time he's been sent off for head butting on field, so it definitely cant be palmed off as a one off thing. Given this, it would not be a surprise at all if what provoked him was something harmless. No matter what anyone says - even if racist - that shit doesnt fly.
If he is remembered for the headbutt, so be it. It's part and parcel of Zidane.

jesus.is.lord

HSC
Fast_heinz said:
Why do people automatically assume that Materazzi made a racist comment?

On another note, am I the only one who found SBS 'expert panel' incredibly irritating...it should have been Fozzie, Tony Palumbo and Les throughout. And no more Simon Hill commentary, Martin Tyler is the voice of football.
hmmm...what else could he possibly have said to zidane to work him up to the point where he headbutted someone and got sent off in his last ever game...?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Italian Hotshot said:
What did they do to Camoranesi? They cut his hair on the field and danced around him? :confused:
Ancient Italian rain dance

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
copious said:
errr right. I have this feeling no clubs will get relegated, such is the corruption that exists :s
I'm in touch with that feeling too, moreso after this morning's result. Won't be too surprised if the assembled panel are now feverishly changing words in their verdict from relegation + fines to tickertape + bravado.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Even if materazzi did bark out a racist comment, i would never have expected zidane to retaliate. i mean, 15 years of professional football, surely he would show some signs of maturity and resist the temptation. why retaliate then, why then, out of all the potentially glorious moments in your footballing career? what was going through his mind then?

i have a little suspicion that zidane himself doesnt want to get so much fame, publicity and media attention. he just wanted to retire and enjoy the rest of his life, in peace and quiet. i guess this 'out' was what made it happen. french fans at home i feel under this suspicion then would not deliver as much 'attention' on zidane as was previously expected, which is what zidane personally desires. just a thought, not trying to spark any rumours, just my 2 cents to justify his 'headbutt'.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Any rumours about what Materazzi said are just rumours, nobody could know other than Materazzi and Zidane. And what a terrible way to end his career, nothing can justify that.

Always

HSC
That sucks. :( France played the better game, imo, and to have the FINAL decided by a penalty shoot out is just lame. I felt so cheated.

Re: the headbutt.

It is practically confirmed that Materazzi used a racial slur towards Zizou’s family. Who does that to a champion who has done so much for the sport and in his last game as well? It’s so horribly low and I really feel for Zizou. Nevertheless, I’m disappointed Zizou fell for a dirty old Italian trick.

Worst World Cup Final ever.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Always said:
That sucks. :( France played the better game, imo, and to have the FINAL decided by a penalty shoot out is just lame. I felt so cheated.
How do you think the italians would have felt had the dive by the french player cost them the match?

Always said:
Re: the headbutt.

It is practically confirmed that Materazzi used a racial slur towards Zizou’s family. Who does that to a champion who has done so much for the sport and in his last game as well? It’s so horribly low and I really feel for Zizou. Nevertheless, I’m disappointed Zizou fell for a dirty old Italian trick.
Thrash talk is part of sport... I'm sure if Zidane is low enough to headbutt the Italian, he would have been low enough to diss the Italian back... but you don't even know, maybe Zidane started it! Do you really think the Italian is at fault, or that Zidane didn't say anything intimidating either? Zidane should learn to control himself, what he did was really bad sportsmanship. I don't care what was said because Zidane could and is most likely at fault too, but his reaction to what was said was absurd. He deserved to get sent off. He does not deserve to be labelled a "soccer God", along with Pele and Marradona.

He did something similar in 1998 world cup, so it wasn't a one off incident either.

Last edited:

fush

HSC
You have to give credit to the italians, they deserved it overall. Solid defence only letting in a penalty and an own goal during the entire tournament. If you win thats all that counts so i dont understand all this hatred against italy.

Even if France did dominate from the second half onwards they didnt really create that many clear chances... (Zidane header being the best)
Italt were also unlucky with the Toni headers (cross bar and tight off side).

Also, as mentioned before it is not the first time Zidane has lost it. THe same thing happened in the Champions League in 2000 when he was with Juventus and he got 5 weeks suspension for a deliberate head but. In 1998 he was also sent off for deliberately stomping a player in the groin versus Saudi Arabia.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Italy didnt deserve the win ever since they took the dive against Australia. The Italians deserve the other trophy, the Oscar.

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
Italy didnt deserve the win ever since they took the dive against Australia. The Italians deserve the other trophy, the Oscar.
Yeah, cause France totally didnt take any dives. The fact Frace were in the final to begin with was because of questionable penalty decisions. It'd be interesting to see if people would be so anti-italy if they had beaten australia fairly but won by a dive in say, the ukraine match. I suspect not.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I don't think Grosso dived in the Australia match, rather the ref was an idiot for ruling foul rather than obstruction.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
It was clever play (albeit in the unsporting sense) rather than a clear dive. Instead of running with the ball he chose to run into the man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)