The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
bshoc said:
Ukraine havent been playing the best football I agree also, that is, until last nights match, say what you want about its uneventfulness, Ukraine showed that they can play football, and while the Swiss had more shots, Ukraine managed to hit that nice white bar three times during the normal game, had Shevchenko or Voronin been a little more accurate, who knows.
well to be honest I didn't watch the Ukraine Swiss match even though I stayed up. It was a bit of a meh after Australia lost. I really can't see Ukraine squeezing out a result against Italy, but they've gotten this far regardless of how they got here it's a decent achievement. Anyway who do you think will win the whole thing?

bshoc

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
well to be honest I didn't watch the Ukraine Swiss match even though I stayed up. It was a bit of a meh after Australia lost. I really can't see Ukraine squeezing out a result against Italy, but they've gotten this far regardless of how they got here it's a decent achievement. Anyway who do you think will win the whole thing?
Well the Ukraine-Swiss highlights are here along with the rest of em http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/highlights.html , if u havent found it already.

As for wins, whoever the refs decide :)

Afterall thats pretty much how its been the whole cup lol, but I kinda wanna see Brazil-Ghana, Spain-France before I try to draw any real conclusions.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Lainee said:
As a new fan to the game, I can't help but be frustrated at how a game that is so internationally competitive and influential in so many ways can leave it up to flawed humans to make crucial decisions. I can't help but think: Why would I want to follow a game where the better team may lose because of a bad refereeing decision? I have to question why would I want to get emotionally involved in a game that is dictated by players who rely on theatrics to gain free kicks and penalties.

I'm not going to be able to take a game seriously when that game's emphasis is on play acting. And I feel that in Australia, where we take our sport very seriously regardless of what sport it is, this is going to have such a bad effect on the game if people (especially newcomers like myself who haven't watched other football codes like AFL where play acting isn't part of the game) feel the same way.
Unfortunately you have seen the ugly side of modern football - diving. The Italians are experts at it, as are many South Americans. I think it is absolutely disgusting that a great game is infected with such bullshit. It is punishable by a yellow card if caught, but I have barely seen any games where a referee has pulled someone up for diving.

On refereeing, it is the same in many sports, it is simply human error. The thing about football that can make us laugh and cry is that a game can be so close, but the end result is cruel and unjustified. However, a reason that many of us love football, is that anything can happen - an underdog can beat the big guns, or a team can come back when it looks like all is lost. Unfortunately this time round, the result was the opposite we wanted.

swisstruffles

HSC
i hope FIFA seriously look into the possibility of using video refereeing and replays after this ends- they must realise that we are in the technology age and that if it means a bad ref call is overturned correctly than i cant think of any other reason that could oppose that (even 'interrupting the flow of the game'). or if not, that idea of two refs per half is another possibility. if FIFA was genuinely interested in developing football as "the world game" and NOT only to hold up the traditional powerhouses and keep out the new developing nations, then they should at least have a complete review of the system and the disasters of this Cup.
FIFA still is a 'mafia-house'- look at when blatter indicated he was interested in granting another spot for oceania then backtracked after pressure from the big powers! i wish we could start a major national/international petition to FIFA urging some sort of tech change, or something that would prevent this sort of crapness happening again.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

He falls, then looks up at the ref with a smile on his face. Very dodgy.

Lainee

HSC
Rafy said:

He falls, then looks up at the ref with a smile on his face. Very dodgy.
And then he starts clutching the top of his head in pain for the next 20 seconds. :burn:

otay

HSC
Yup. I just got an email from my German mate (who lives in Kaiserslautern) who said he and his mates were taunting the Italians, saying they couldnt

"....wait to play these divas in the semis. One of them pushed one of my friend and then the he fell to the ground grabbing hold of his knee and shoutin for penalty. They were soo hurt (like tease) it was funny. lol fucking poofs as you would call them"

bahahaha. Germany is sticking up for us...woooohooo

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
darkroomgirl said:
Sigh.

I feel so... down.

SO who's everyone going for now?
me too

im going for Brazil...and maybe england...but i hate england so most probs brazil :)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
_dhj_ said:
The question is why have they not brought in video technology where there clearly seems to be a need for it.

The answer - because FIFA are a corrupt mafia like organisation that attempts to fix half of the matches at the World Cup. Without video technology they at least have the excuse of the "refereeing mistake".
Davinci Cup conspiracy? - lol

anyway, to sum up the world cup:

Quarter Finals - Germany vs Argentina - should be a blockbuster match (with gud refereeing of course). Mainly because germany are host nations, should level up to meet the form of Argentina. Whoever wins this match should go through to the final. But u never know with these referees.

Ukraine vs Italy - mate, course Ukraine are gonna win, after italy's loss to AUstralia i dont tink (i hope not) the referee will make similar mistakes. Ukraine of course will need to play gud football and not try to compete with ITaly in the fakin department.

England vs Portugal - hmm is deco playin? if so portugal will win comfortably, otherwise they will need to be wary of Beckham's set pieces. Pauleta though sure can fire some in. Portugal to win.

Brazil/Ghana vs SPain - dont write off Ghana with the current refereeing a last minute penalty can get them an equaliser and then in xtra time they score of another penalty in the last second. Brazil or Ghana to beat Spain.

Means Brazil vs Portugal = Brazil in the final.
Ukraine vs Germany/Argentina = Germany/Argentina
Brazil to win the world cup.
Third place to Germany/Argentina.

so thats it. This world cup is shit without the socceroos. I didnt watch any of 98 world cup, and only watched the highlights of the final of 2002 between brazil and germany.

mecurial

HSC
- Francesco Totti probably won't be "rotting away in Serie B." Four teams are to stand trial - Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio and Juventus. Totti plays for ROMA. And I thought Totti was quite influential when he came on, to be honest. Anybody who has watched Roma play in the past few seasons will agree that he is certainly not "overrated" and "three years past his prime." His form was sparkling until he broke his leg.

- To the one who told me I know nothing about Australian football and that the future looked good, I suggest you take a look at performances in World Youth Championships recently by the Australian teams.

- Maybe it just is sour grapes on my part. But I am shattered, really shattered about what happened, but because I am disappointed doesn't make me un-Australian, Brisbane Broncos fan. (To me, this was a massive opportunity that may never re-surface. Maybe a lot of you didn't experience the failed qualifications of Iran and Uruguay, but to me it makes the chance we had so much more valuable. In the coming days I will be able to reflect on how far we have come, and what we acheived, but for now, it could have been so much more.

- Maybe it is not the "Australian way", but basically, the incident leading up to the penalty was simply good professionalism from Grosso. Diving is a fact of the game, and maybe (Not not not saying he was to blame in any any way shape or form) Lucas was a little bit naive. I would of definitely been ecstatic if one of our players had gone down and won us a penalty. Those who in fact play the game will agree that a penalty won is a penalty won, regardless of the circumstances.

- Italy are a great chance to win the WC from here. IF Nesta can regain fitness before the semi finals, you would imagine they will be very hard to beat.

PS Del Piero you are a washed up piece of shit.

Jiga

Get over the penalty decision. That's a situation where sometimes it's given and sometimes it's not. People need to start realising that the referees are not superhuman being who can spot dives/trips/unfair tackles and distinguish between them every single time.
The ref in question was no more than 5m away with a clear line of sight... that is a poor excuse.

Ukraine vs Italy - mate, course Ukraine are gonna win, after italy's loss to AUstralia i dont tink (i hope not) the referee will make similar mistakes. Ukraine of course will need to play gud football and not try to compete with ITaly in the fakin department.
I dont think Ukraine will get through... Im a supporter of them but ther are very defensively orientated and have a very poor attack. Unfortunately, Italy are even more rock solid then da swiss in defence and will just need one bullshit decision/lucky bounce of the ball to put 1 goal away and its game over. Would have been good to see Australia play em, we would have been straight through to the Semi's :(

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
Last edited:

otay

HSC
How are Roma doing these days? And he was hardly influential. After he came on Australia were in complete control with possession. Oh and I watched our performance at the U-17 thing and we did very fucking well in Peru against the Mexicans, the eventual winners and clearly the best team of the whole tournament. Same as you gyus saying Australian cricket has no1 coming thru, of course we bloody do, u just havin heard of em yet. How many of you a year ago would have thought Neill would be the revelation that he is??

So was Neill naive? Well I'm not sure what do you think he shoulda done? To me he did not foul, therefore did nothing wrong, therefore should not get penalised. And it is a breach of the rules, a deliberate one too. But remember four years ago when Totti got sent off for diving and it clearly was a foul, well football gods made up for it yesterday (or maybe the ref last night didn't wanna be remembered like that guy). At Australia's expense sure, but we'll get our own. I still can't condone blatant diving. Not only is it unsporting, it's just being a fucking soft cock. It's the Australian male way not to be seen like that. I imagine if you ask 100 average Aussie blokes whether they would dive like that to win a game, they'd say no. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking this, but I don't know any that would.

Oh and does anybody else see the irony in us getting a goal disallowed against Croatia coz the ref blew the whistle microseconds before it went in, and yesterday, the final whistle was due microseconds after that baby took a tumble? The Gods truly didn't smile on us this tournament overall....and still look how fucking well we've done! Oh and the world loves us even more now. Lots and lots of positives to take away from this Cup

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Keep in mind the referee only gets to look at it once and has to make a judgement within seconds. If he didn't give the penalty the Italian backlash would have been huge, because (and this is arguable) it's stopping a potential goal being scored.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Keep in mind the referee only gets to look at it once and has to make a judgement within seconds. If he didn't give the penalty the Italian backlash would have been huge, because (and this is arguable) it's stopping a potential goal being scored.
Oh noes! The italian blacklash!

See this is the problem. We don't have the same level of outrage when a decision like this happens. SOME people in Australia will still try and rationalise how "mistakes happen" with referees and how the ref could have seen it as a penalty etc etc.

Last edited:

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
I sort of think the refs were all against the Australian team in every match.

In the match against the japanese, we were lucky that the ref had the courage to admitt his mistake, or else :(

and in the match against Croatia, we deserved about 2 more extra penalties but noooo.

and now, the ref was completely 'blind' and gave the Italians a f**cked up penalty.

lol I think they're all jealous cos socceroos played so well, despite being the 'new team' and all. I thought refs were supposed to treat all teams equally, I mean that's the only reason to why they exist.

hey do you guys reckon there might be the slightest chance that they will re-consider the penalty? anyone?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)