• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (2 Viewers)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
politik said:
I'm not really that excited about ENG v ECU tonight, but I will watch NED v POR. Portugal, the most overrated team in the cup (simply because the choke at every event they play in), against Holland, which is basically Robben +10 (pity he's not signed to adidas).
Portugal are the most overrated team in the World Cup?!?:confused: That is complete and utter bullshit and you know it. Portugal are somewhat of a dark horse in this year's cup and their pre-tournament odds of close to $30 to win it are evidence of this. With 3 wins from 3 and 9 points during the group stages, including a defeat of an impressive Mexican side... Portugal are so far living up to expectations and are certainly far from being overrated.

I do, however, agree with your comment about Portugal having a poor history...but so do Spain, Netherlands and alot of other countries.

As for your further negative comments about Netherlands and England...I'm not even going to bother. If you can be so negative about football during its best ever period of achievement in this country...then perhaps only a psychiatrist can prescribe you something that can help you to become less pessimistic all the time.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The Mexican side were hardly impressive during the group stages, although I admit they gave Argentina a hard time.

*Minka*

HSC
I'd say Portugal are one of the most underrated teams in the WC. Euro 2004 finalists, lots of potential, some good, young players as well as some experienced ones.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
bazookajoe said:
The Mexican side were hardly impressive during the group stages, although I admit they gave Argentina a hard time.
I agree. Mexico's match against Argentina was far and away their best performance in the tournament. They were very sporadic at best during the First Round, not the Mexico that turned up at the Confed. Cup. Rafa Marquez's performance against Portugal was awful. He even threw in a blatant handball inside the penalty box.

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
*Minka* said:
I'd say Portugal are one of the most underrated teams in the WC. Euro 2004 finalists, lots of potential, some good, young players as well as some experienced ones.
Thanks, Minka. That was the point that I was trying to make.:)

@ Politik: Even if we lose to Netherlands tonight...I still don't think that it will further your case that Portugal are the most overrated team. Nor will it prove that Netherlands are overrated if they lose. Both of these teams are amongst the best and will be disappointed if they go out at this stage...but one of them inevitably has to go.

In my opinion, it is unfair that the tournament will lose a quality side tonight whilst one of Ukraine and Switzerland will qualify for the quarter-finals...but I guess that happens in football.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
aww... where's the love for Crouch? :p
lol....so true. Politik's comments about Crouchie being the worst striker ever are unjustified and untrue. Yes he isn't a prolific goal-scorer and yes, he dosen't have the skill on the ball that many other strikers have...but this is hardly the point. Crouchie's game revolves entirely around his height and subsequent aerial advantage. In this role...he is very effective.

Perhaps he wouldn't make the starting line-up for many of the other competing countries, and perhaps he shouldn't even be used in the England first XI...but in my opinion he would prove a nuisance to any opposing team coming off the bench late in the game as an impact player (this is a very similar role to the one employed by Guus for striker Josh Kennedy).

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
England start their second round World Cup match in Stuttgart against Ecuador exactly as expected, with Michael Carrick and Steven Gerrard coming in.

Jamie Carragher has been dropped, with Owen Hargreaves moving to right-back, and Michael Owen is out injured.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's side, in white shirts, will play a 4-1-4-1 formation and temperatures are set to touch 35C.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I hope Lennon and Wallcott come on to run at some tired legs towards the end, should be a treat to watch.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Mike Ockisard said:
i cant believe there are calls to drop beckham - he's played really well in this tournament, in my opinion
I agree. Becks and Joe Cole (and perhaps several others) have been shining lights in what has otherwise been a pretty lacklustre tournament for England so far. I have been a Beckham critic in the past...but such criticism is unjustified on the basis of his performances so far at this tournament.

Despite all this criticism of England...they have achieved their objective of topping their group in the group stage and can only improve. There is no doubt in my mind that England have the depth of quality and talent to continue to achieve further objectives.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
matt#1 said:
I agree. Becks and Joe Cole (and perhaps several others) have been shining lights in what has otherwise been a pretty lacklustre tournament for England so far.
That's exactly right. Becks and Joe Cole have indeed been England's top two performers this WC. The people who are calling for Beck's scalp would be the same people who've been on his case all along anyway, it's not like he's done anything wrong at this tournament.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
@ Paragon: I agree completely.

the probable starting lineups for Portugal v Netherlands are;

PORTUGAL:

Ricardo
Miguel, Fernando Meira, Ricardo Carvalho and Nuno Valente
Costinha and Maniche
Figo, Deco and Cristiano Ronaldo
Pauleta

NETHERLANDS:

Van der Sar
Heitinga, Ooijer, Mathijsen and Van Bronckhorst
Van Bommel, Sneijder and Cocu
Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy and Robben

...No real surprises there from either side.

mecurial

HSC
Ecuador have certainly come to play. I for one am very surprised, I was pretty sure they would lose their momentum after losing 3-0. Very, very tight contest, I'm not sure which way this will go. Does look like one goal will win it, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)