The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
LMF^^ said:
What are the conditions again fo Centrebet...? And the thing wit sendin in yo ID and shit, did you guys do it through mail or just scanned it and email em...?
You need to send in a photochopy of your bank/credit/debit card once you want to withdraw your money (transfer to your savings). So you can bet away and get your jersey first before doing that. You can either mail it or fax it.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
mecurial said:
Portugal are really surprising me in this tournament. 2nd Round v Argentina/Holland is going to be epic.
I'm glad that Portugal are seen as a bit of a dark horse, because it means that they don't have to live up to massive expectations, eg- like England and Brasil.

However, I fail to understand why our form in this tournament is surprising. We are ranked #7 in the world and have quality players like Figo, Deco, Simao, Maniche, Carvalho, and of course, Cristiano Ronaldo. We were also runner-up at Euro 2004...a tournament we should have won. In my opinion, given this information...the wins against Angola and Iran were not surprising, but expected. If we play to our true potential, we can go all the way. We will certainly need to be at our best if we our to beat Argentina or Netherlands.

Penalty to Portugal....Simao!!!!!!!!!! 2-0!

mecurial

HSC
The overall standard of Euro 2004 was relatively poor, especially in comparsion to this tournament. Also Portugal didn't really beat anybody of quality. (Although some may argue that England are quality)

Portugal have always been thought upon of a team full of individual brilliance, but lacked the discipline and tactical awareness to consistently perform against the best. If they make the quarters they are in with a big shot, however I feel the ineffectiveness of Pauleta and Co. up front will cost them.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
mecurial said:
The overall standard of Euro 2004 was relatively poor, especially in comparsion to this tournament. Also Portugal didn't really beat anybody of quality. (Although some may argue that England are quality)
Portugal didn't beat any quality sides at Euro? pfft.

In the group stages we beat Spain. In the quarter-final we beat England (and yes- I do consider them to be a quality side)...then we went on to beat Netherlands in the semi-final. Are these not quality sides? For non-quality teams...Spain, Netherlands and England are all doing well at this world cup. All of these teams have already qualified for the next round.

mecurial

HSC
Both Spain and the Netherlands have dramatically improved in the past two years, just as Portugal obviously have.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
LOL. he missed it by a country mile. way over the bar. He will regret that for sure. Come on Angola!!!

Perez is sent off for diving, surely over for the Old El Paso's.

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Final result: Portugal 2-1 Mexico :). Satisfactory performance against the 4th ranked nation in the world with what was effectively only our 'B' side. 3 wins from 3 for us.

*Minka*

HSC
Right so, I am now in the bed mood to end all bad moods.

Only Neeskens saying that Neill is good enough for Barca makes me smile.

*Minka*

HSC
Random Question:

What do you guys think of the yellow card rule meaning that two will leave you suspended for a match. Should they be wiped after a certain period of matches (say, yelolow cards in two back to back matches = suspension) and do you think it decreases the quality of football played when big stars are rested because they are sitting on a yellow? I do feel that yellows are being given out a tad too easily in this tournament - I have been on the end of stuff worse than things being yellowed at the world cup and I play in a local GIRLS competition and can handle it yet we are talking about fully grown professionals here. Obviously dangerous and malice tackles need to be yellowed, but it does appear that breathing on someone can get you yellowed. Is it fair that a yellow in the first match of the first round stays with you until say, the semi finals where another yellow = no final?

Do you like the rule? Think it should be three yellow cards instead of two? Think they should be wiped after a match?

Just a discussion raiser really, because I was thinking about how it was disappointing not to see Cristiano Ronaldo play for Portugal strictly on the basis he is carrying a yellow.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
*Minka* said:
Random Question:

What do you guys think of the yellow card rule meaning that two will leave you suspended for a match. Should they be wiped after a certain period of matches (say, yelolow cards in two back to back matches = suspension) and do you think it decreases the quality of football played when big stars are rested because they are sitting on a yellow? I do feel that yellows are being given out a tad too easily in this tournament - I have been on the end of stuff worse than things being yellowed at the world cup and I play in a local GIRLS competition and can handle it yet we are talking about fully grown professionals here. Obviously dangerous and malice tackles need to be yellowed, but it does appear that breathing on someone can get you yellowed. Is it fair that a yellow in the first match of the first round stays with you until say, the semi finals where another yellow = no final?

Do you like the rule? Think it should be three yellow cards instead of two? Think they should be wiped after a match?

Just a discussion raiser really, because I was thinking about how it was disappointing not to see Cristiano Ronaldo play for Portugal strictly on the basis he is carrying a yellow.
I completely agree with you, Minka. It is fair enough that FIFA is trying to remove blights on our game such as simulation, shirt-pulling, etc...but the card system is too harsh and certainly compromises the quality of the football being played. I agree that a player should only be suspended if they recieve yellow cards in consecutive games. I was disappointed to see quality players like Portugal's Deco and Ronaldo sitting on the bench as well.

*Minka*

HSC
My opinion is that it should only warrent a suspension if a player is yellow carded in consecutive (thats the word I wanted, thank you) matches. If FIFA insists on the accumaltive system, it should be three, cards, not two. Therefore a player can be careful not to receive another card after their first, but not feel like they have to play on a tightrope and comprimise playing the game.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
*Minka* said:
My opinion is that it should only warrent a suspension if a player is yellow carded in consecutive (thats the word I wanted, thank you) matches. If FIFA insists on the accumaltive system, it should be three, cards, not two. Therefore a player can be careful not to receive another card after their first, but not feel like they have to play on a tightrope and comprimise playing the game.
I completely agree.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
FIFA denyin the right fo players to appeal their yellow cards is BS, but then again wit the amount of cards flyin around it wouldn't be feasible to allow such a system to work.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Second Round

25-Jun-06 Sunday 1:00 AM Germany Sweden
25-Jun-06 Sunday 5:00 AM Argentina Mexico
26-Jun-06 Monday 1:00 AM England Ecuador
26-Jun-06 Monday 5:00 AM Portugal Netherlands

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)