The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Also interesting to not see Llujbo Milicivic in the squad, thought he deserved a run after playing Champions League, UEFA Cup and captaining FC Thun

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Not many surprisez, except I haven't heard of the Josh Kennedy befo.
Me either, probably just chime in for injuries and such.
And poor Vidmar, I can't believe it had to end like that for him.

robbie1

HSC
my prediction - Croatia to make the semis

Croatia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ with a minimum of fuss. Unfancied prior to the start of the preliminaries, the Croats marched unbeaten through their section with a record of 21 goals scored and just five conceded, leaving opponents such as Sweden, Hungary and Bulgaria trailing in their wake.
The architect of their success was Zlatko Kranjcar. The 50-year-old is Croatia's sixth coach since the nation gained independence in 1991, and took up the reins after a disappointing 2004 UEFA European Championship under Otto Baric.

In the time since, Kranjcar has managed to usher in a new generation of players and guide Croatia to their third FIFA World Cup finals in succession. As a reward for their endeavours, the team - in which Kranjcar's son, Niko, is a pivotal player - face the imposing task of locking horns with world champions Brazil in their first game on 13 June. The coach was, however, in quietly confident mood when FIFAworldcup.com caught up with him to ask about this new crop of Croatians and their aspirations at Germany 2006.

FIFAworldcup.com: The only preparation Croatia have had this year was the 3-2 victory against Argentina (on 1 March). How do you assess that result?
Zlatko Kranjcar: To beat Argentina is always a fantastic result, but it was only a friendly. It will be different at the World Cup because the team will be far more focused and playing for a result. Both sides played an open game, which was obviously great for the fans. I was happy with my boys, but there were some things for us to work on for the World Cup.

Will there be any major changes to your team?
We assembled a side that played well during qualifying. We were first in our group without losing a game. It is very important for us that the players arrive fit and ready to start preparation. All of them have the potential to improve by 20 to 30 per cent. That would ensure a good display at the World Cup.

Was it good for your confidence to beat a big nation such as Argentina? Or should you not overestimate the result?
We definitely gained confidence from it and that is important for us. But just because we beat Argentina, we will not be taking our foot off the pedal and thinking that we can reach the FIFA World Cup Final. The important thing we took away is that we can compete with the big guns, show our own strengths and come away with a victory through our own football. We will see the results of that at the World Cup.
You handed a debut to 20-year-old Luka Modric in that match. How pleased were you with him and will he be travelling to the FIFA World Cup?
Luka has come through our U-17, U-19 und U-21 squads and excelled at every level. He has caught the eye with his talent and I called him up to the squad because Robert Kovac was injured – that is why I played him. It was very difficult for him. He was mentally drained because it was his first match, but he grew into the game very well, gave a good account of himself and combined well with Niko Kranjcar and Niko Kovac in the midfield. I am very happy with him. He is very talented, with a strong presence and organisational qualities. It was very important to see that I can count on him. As well as winning the game, we also won a player.

Are there other players you are keeping an eye on?
I am watching a few players from the U-21s. But whether they will be called up yet, I do not know. I will watch them in their club games and decide by mid-May who I will be taking.

How do you assess Croatia's chances in Group F?
Brazil are favourites, not only in our group, but for the title. But compared to Japan and Australia, we have a good chance of qualifying for the second round. I think my team are a few points better than Australia and Japan, but football is unpredictable as we know. Japan or Australia might cause an upset but we will be doing everything in our power to ensure that they do not turn us over.

What can Croatia achieve?
You have to dream. With the quality in our team, we should reach the second round. And if we can manage to get to the quarter-finals, that would be a great success for us. But like I said, football is unpredictable. Maybe we can reach the Final. Croatia have some very good individual players and the players have shown in public and in the media that we are a strong and unified team. We might be the ones to cause an upset at the World Cup.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I read Josh Kennedy was in for his pace and his aerial prowess. Cause we look pretty soft in the air, Kewell, Viduka and Archie dont score much from headers.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Kennedy is currently playing Bundesliga 2 and is being transfered to FC Nurnberg, must be doing fairly well

Last edited:

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Milligan is a bit of a shock. So is Mile Sterjovski - but he should have a permanent spot in the squad as he has been overlooked on so many occasions. How come there is no Michael Thwaite?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Thwaite hasnt been playing first team football at all. I think he got rorted after he moved clubs, feel sorry for the bloke.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Yeah Thwaite iz at National Bucharest I think. He signed fo another club and the National president got pissed and took hiz passport and refused to let him play. What a kunt. Now itz cost him a World Cup spot, poor fella.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Pretty much as strong a squad as Australia could muster, given the circumstances.

However, it probably isn't good enough to challenge Croatia or Brazil.

And Japan's pace up front will really worry our defenders, IMO. Milligan looks to be the only defender with enough speed to match it with them.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
What do you guys think is Australia's best starting XI for the world cup? (of course, this will change depending on the opposition and the circumstances)

I read somewhere that Guus Hiddink prefers a 3-5-2 formation, something like this:

-----------------Schwarzer

--------Neill --------Moore--------Popovic

---------------------------Grella
Emerton--------Bresciano--------Cullina--------Kewell

-------------------------------Cahill
-------------------Viduka

The 5-man midfield in this formation is all class, allowing Kewell and Bresciano, in particular, to use their pace and skill going forward whilst the other guys provide a defensive wall. Viduka, despite his disappointing match in the UEFA CUP final this morning appears to be back to his world-class best and Timmy Cahill would play behind him in a slightly more attacking role than he is used to at Everton (thus allowing him to make the most of his uncanny ability to score goals using his head in particular in and around the box). Though Schwarzer is normally a pretty sound 'keeper...our defense is clearly our biggest weakness and we may need to play with 4 at the back against Brazil in particular.

In regards to the other teams in our group, i'm only really familiar with the Brazilians. Whilst not necessarily their best formation, I think that they will line up like this:

GK: Dida

LB: Roberto Carlos
CB: Roque Junior
CB: Lucio
RB: Cafu

LDM: Ze Roberto
RDM: Emerson

RAM: Kaka
LAM: Ronaldinho

CF: Adriano
CF: Ronaldo

I also expect Robinho and Juninho, in particular, to get alot of game time. Juninho's all-round form at Lyon is extrmely impressive, but i'd have him as one of the best free kick takers in the world alongside other guys like Becks, Henry and Ronaldinho. The Brazilians are not only favourites in our group, but for the tournament. I'll be very surprised if they don't win it.

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
RAM: Kaka
LAM: Ronaldinho

CF: Adriano
CF: Ronaldo

Those four are going to be very intimidating for the Aussie defense! Not only that , it will be like " ah crap Ronaldo isnt playing well, We'll just throw in Robinho our 2nd string forward " -_-

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The Brazil attackin quartet will be intimidatin to any defence, don't foget they still have Juninho comin on too.

The quality and depth of Brazil iz the best in the world. After seein Sevilla smash Boro in the UEFA Cup final you can prob see why. Playerz like Luis Fabiano and Adriano (not the Inter one) were outstandin and could ezily be first team memberz of any other nation, yet they might not even be in the Brazil squad. Itz just frightenin.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
walcott at the expense of darren bent and defoe was a surprise ...
and ljubo not being picked for aus was another surprise ...

im salivating over the prospect of watching this brazil side play ...
unfortunately the games will be right in our exam period, but im willing to give up marks to watch games live :p

Last edited:

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Good to see Sterjovski in the squad, its baffled me for ages as to why he hasnt been picked more often before. Its alos interesting to hear that now our squad has been picked that people are writing it off as too weak- surely everyone knew who has going to be chosen? I seem to recall a similar incident on 16th November 2005, where many on this forum seemed to dismiss the capabilities of our team before that date. We shat on Uruguay that night, and the same squad has it in them to do better and do the same to Japan and Croatia, and be competitive against Brazil.

Oh, and seeing as LMF has changed his avatar to honour the great Roy Keane from his testimonial, Ive changed my sig to show him in a better light :p :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Oh, and seeing as LMF has changed his avatar to honour the great Roy Keane from his testimonial, Ive changed my sig to show him in a better light :p :)
Are those picz from the testimonial...? How dare you kuntz sing YNWA in Old Trafford. :p

Comparin the 2, he lookz much much better in a red shirt. :D

PS: why do you still have that Feyenoord kid up there...?

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Yeah, they're from the testimonial. Celtic have made a habit of playing in testimonials, having played in Shearers overnight. It was good to see 20000 hoops fans at Old Trafford alongside Reds fans to honour Keano tho. Hopefully he has another season next year.

And I havent found a decent replacement for my little Feyenoord hooligan yet. Come June, there should be plenty of opportunities for new avatars.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I'm part Portuguese, so this could be viewed by some as being pretty biased... but I think that Portugal can win the world cup.

Firstly, the team is coached by 'Big Phil' Scholari, who has already won the world cup with Brazil in 2002 and took Portugal to the final of Euro 2004...a tournament that we should have won.

Scholari plays a 4-2-3-1 formation, which should look something like this;

GK: Ricardo

RB: Nuno Valente
CB: Ricardo Carvalho
CB: Fernando Meira
LB: Paulo Ferreira

CM: Maniche
CM: Costinha

LAM: Cristiano Ronaldo
CAM: Deco
RAM: Figo

CF: Pauleta

The trio of Ronaldo, Deco and Figo presents one of the most potent attacking threats of any team. Figo has recently enjoyed a new lease of life since joining Inter, and is one of my all-time favourite players; Deco is one of the best playmakers in the game today; and Ronaldo should improve upon his extremely impressive Euro 2004. I expect him to set the tournament alight. Maniche also provides a considerable attacking threat with his long-range shooting. Does anyone remember his amazing goal of the tournament at Euro 2004?

Perhaps you could say that having only Pauleta up front is a weakness, but the formation is such that attack can come from all angles, whilst men in Maniche and Costinha are still kept behind the ball. Benfica's Petit is another quality alternative in the midfield. Pauleta is also our country's greatest ever goalscorer, scoring regularly in the qualifiers and has also won France's golden boot award with PSG.

Whilst some other teams could be said to have a better defense, the back four of Valente, Meira, Carvalho, Ferreira, and Ricardo as GK is pretty solid. In any case...we have Ricardo Carvalho...who was infamously hailed in this forum by "Maniche" as being the best defender in the world today:rofl: .

Portugal should easily qualify from a group consisting of Angola, Iran and Mexico. Only problem is that the top two from this group have to play the winners that emerge from the group of death: i.e- most likely Argentina or Holland.

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I'm not too familiar with their team :) , but their midfield looks very very solid, especially with a matured Ronaldo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)