The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (7 Viewers)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLL!!! how bloody amazing have the last 10 mins been.
haha i reckon!

Germany win 1-0
Oliver Neuville (91')

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well, their campaign hasn't ended yet. costa rica beats ecuador. germany beats ecuador by a few goals. poland beats costa rica. winnar!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
well, their campaign hasn't ended yet. costa rica beats ecuador. germany beats ecuador by a few goals. poland beats costa rica. winnar!
True. What I should have said, is that it is a massive blow to their campaign. Realistically through, I can't see them making it through to the next round because I see Ecuador getting something out of tomorrow night's game against Costa Rica. Poland were a completely different side to the one that was beaten 2-0 by Ecuador on the opening day. Much more committed. Germany are almost certainly through.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I had predicted them to finish second in the group too.. still a distant possibility I suppose, but they were a bit unlucky today.

Some sleep for me tonight I think. Costa Rica and Ecuador I'll see maybe the first half of. I don't particularly feel like staying up to see England stutter past T&T. Sweden and Paraguay could be more interesting though, they certainly both have it all to play for.

In the fantasy league.. eep..dropped 7 places overnight. I'm guessing a lot of people had some Spanish in their teams.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Also, the more I think about it, the less I think we'll make it out of the group :( Brazil and croatia are playing amazingly (well, brazil is playing crap, but they have the talent; croatia dominated in the second half).
Then again, I think we can draw against Brazil on a Brazilian 'bad day'.

I'm very interested to find out what Guus is going to do on game day? Will he risk the yellow-carded players getting another one and missing out on the croatia game? Or will he simply go very defensive and rest cahill, etc for most of the game.

Good to hear that Ronaldo is starting. It seems the coach loves him too much, especially how last game he was kept on for way too long. I don't think ronaldo's form will significantly improve either.
We are lucky to have schwartzer as I think he can save many outside shots (which Brazil seemed to be focusing on).
Beating Brazil's defense is tough, though. THey played the offside trap many a time and are faster than any of our forwards.
Oh well, time will tell.
Head's prediction: Brazil 2-0
Heart: 1-1 or 0-0
I have no doubt Australia will beat Croatia and go to the second round. Also, Hiddink never plays defensively, WC 2002 and matches before that where Korea drew with England 1-1, lost to France 3-2, beat Scotland 4-1 were all based on continuos attack football - no matter how 'stronger' the other side was.

otay

HSC
Ok here's the big question? Do we play Aloisi, Cahill, Grella and Moore against Brazil because they are already sitting on one yellow card and may miss Croatia match. I say of course we bloody should. Firstly we should only look towards next match, and think about how we can go about winning. Secondly if you are willing to play them against Croatia, what if we do win? And what if while we are winning, Cahill, Aloisi and others get yellows?? Our 2nd round doesn't look good. So if you look in advance, keep looking, coz its no good at stopping at the Croatia game. I think we go for win against Brazil. Coz that can just about secure qualification and we will need Cahill, Aloisi et co to be playing and scoring.

Also what are your thoughts to starting line-up? I'd like to see Wilkshire and Emerto go. I like Aloisi's impact from bench but we need an early goal and he's a class finisher. And I reckon one of Bresciano, Kewell and Cahill should come off the bench shortly after halftime to replace the least effective of the other two, or in case both are playin well and we need to score, then a DM or Defender. I also think Kennedy needs to be given at least 25-35 minutes, coz his presence changed everything and he has quite good control as the lead-up to the 3rd goal suggested. So I'm still in a conundrum as to who would replace Wilkshire given the fact I want an impact player of bench. Oh such a hard job....whatever happens, in Guus we trust

- L1n -

HSC
Another interesting scenario.

Brzail 3 Australia 0
Japan 2 Croatia 0
Croatia 2 Australia 0

what a way to finish the group 3 teams on 3 pts.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
otay said:
Secondly if you are willing to play them against Croatia, what if we do win? And what if while we are winning, Cahill, Aloisi and others get yellows?? Our 2nd round doesn't look good. So if you look in advance, keep looking, coz its no good at stopping at the Croatia game. I think we go for win against Brazil.
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think the accumulated yellow cards at the end of the Group stage does get scrapped, in which case the players start afresh in the knockouts. The only exception I think is when players collect red cards, straight or otherwise.

otay

HSC
Oh k thanks for that Paragon. I've read and heard so many different things so far. Last night someone on one of those news reports said Guus would have all players avaibale for Brazil regardless of yellow card situation, and today the question is up in the air again. Guus did use the protect players from yellow cards scenario against Uruguay. Guus knows what he's doin though.

And Lin I highly doubt Japan will manage to beat Croatia and then for us to subsequently lose. If that's the case then perhaps u need to consider Japan v Brazil.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
team i expect hiddink to start.

viduka & culina

Bresciano, Kewell, EMertion, Grella

Moore, Neill, Chipperfield, Lazardis
Schwarzer

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
otay said:
Oh k thanks for that Paragon. I've read and heard so many different things so far. Last night someone on one of those news reports said Guus would have all players avaibale for Brazil regardless of yellow card situation, and today the question is up in the air again. Guus did use the protect players from yellow cards scenario against Uruguay. Guus knows what he's doin though.
You can't read too much into what Guus says/insinuates. :) This is the same guy who said Kewell would be benched against Japan, then started him. Also note how everyone would've been pinching themselves when they saw Wilkshire's name on the teamsheet on Monday night. He's a cryptic fella, it's probably more worthwhile picking up clues from Arnold.

The latest word is that the Aussie camp, whilst concerned about the yellow card situation, are favouring the idea of putting out their First XI against Brasil taking into account the goal difference scenario, seeing as Croatia only lost by the solitary goal. That was as of this morning, in footballing days, we've got an eternity to go before the kick-off, which means just as many theories will surface between now and then.

johnny_87

HSC
I think they should play, but Guus needs to tell them if there's a risk of a yellow not to go for the tackle.

Tonight's games:

England 3-0 Trindad and Tobago
Sweden 1-1 Paraguay
Ecuador 2-1 Costa Rica

HotShot

-_-
HSC
johnny_87 said:
I think they should play, but Guus needs to tell them if there's a risk of a yellow not to go for the tackle.

Tonight's games:

England 3-0 Trindad and Tobago
Sweden 1-1 Paraguay
Ecuador 2-1 Costa Rica

well they will play, but dont expect them all to start - Cahill is too dangerous to start. came in luckily ref didnt see the late tackle in the box. But knowing hiddink he would have had word to him, and perhaps tell him to start but not to create any trouble early on - but i think against Brazil you MUST score first. they are too experienced to hold alead.

as for Martin88: Japan must win against Croatia to stand a chance of moving to round two cos i dont think they fancy winning agianst Brazil. so expect a win or a heavy loss.

and for tonights games:
England 2 : 1 Trinidad and Tobabo or 2 nill, england are playing quite crap atm.
Sweden 2 : 1 Paragauy, defensively paragauay are weak
Ecuador 1: 0 COstica RIca could go either way tippin for ecaudor.

*Minka*

HSC
martin88 said:
i wouldn't be surprised to see Japan hold Croatia to a draw...
That would be an excellent result from an Australian prespective.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
It would be better for Australia if Japan beat Croatioa 1-0

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
it will also be good if each side gets 3 red cards and a swathe of yellows

predictions:

equador 2 - costa rica 1
england 1 - t&T 0
Sweden 1 - Paraguay 0

btw has any1 spent 100 bucks with centrebet and heard back from them yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)