The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
mecurial said:
PS The refereeing on both fixtures (so far) has been excellent. Lubos Michel did an excellent job.
i second that. after such deplorable refereeing standards in the WC so far, its good that the quality of refereeing has increased. good to see FIFA finally fixing its mistakes. but, theres still a long way to go.

i wanted argentina to win...oh well. i felt argentina was the better side.

nonetheless, i want germany to win against italy. but, judging by both team's main strategies, its gonna be a tough matchup. i have that distinct feeling that unfortunately italy has the upper hand.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
woo germanaaaaaaaay!!

one of the players raised his arm in "heil, hitler" sort of way towards the end of the game... didn't see who it was but hmm :p might've just imagined it, was absolutely buggered by the end

what was the fight (afterwards) about?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
sweet_as said:
HotShot - I don't agree with your argument here. Football is the biggest, most popular team sport in the world and as other have said in this thread, the FIFA World Cup is alot bigger than the Olympic Games. To say the opposite is just ridiculous - FIFA has more member nations that the United Nations for fuck's sake - (FIFA 205, UN 191). As I have said earlier, it is unfortunate that you have seen the ugly side of football, but there is an ugly side to all sports. The Italians are renowned for cheating both on and off the pitch.

And teams like Ukraine and Ghana not right??? I don't understand - please explain.
The world cup has only 32 teams playing? not 205 mate.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
The world cup has only 32 teams playing? not 205 mate.
Incorrect. The world cup officially starts in the qualification rounds. This tournament being played is called the World Cup Finals

otay

HSC
I'd like to see Portugal win but, I also wanna see the english midfield fire for once (asking a little too much i know) and for Rooney to show his class. That means the ideal match would be about 6-5 to Portugal, probably one in a kabillion but oh well. That's about as much support as England will get from me until Day 3 of the 3rd test in December when we've regained the Ashes, and event then I won't be supporting them.

Mr-X

HSC
My picks:
Portugal vs England - Portugal (1-0)
Brazil vs France - Brazil (2-2 a.e.t 3-1 PSO)

I hope Germany wins the cup.

tempco

HSC
bubz :D said:
one of the players raised his arm in "heil, hitler" sort of way towards the end of the game... didn't see who it was but hmm :p might've just imagined it, was absolutely buggered by the end
It was Podolski after he scored from the spot. I was like "wtf?" too. I'm surprised the commentator didn't say anything.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
tempco said:
It was Podolski after he scored from the spot. I was like "wtf?" too. I'm surprised the commentator didn't say anything.
Oh well, atleast Paris digs him.

I read it was the Argentines who started the fracas after the shootout. Some of the subs. were trying to put-off the German takers by yelling at them in Spanish. Then after Borowski scored to make it 4-2, he did the keep quiet / silence gesture to the Argies. and the brief melee thing happened.

Last edited:

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
"SHANGHAI:
An over-zealous TV announcer's headline-making rant has become music to the ears of Chinese mobile phone users, combining their love for chatter and the World Cup. Chinese fans looking to customise their phones with their favourite pastime can now download Huang Jianxiang's reaction to Italy's victory over Australia as a ringback tone."

Great.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
if the french qualify to the semis, i can make up all the money that ive lost so far :p

mecurial

HSC
Interesting to note that Podolski was actually born in Poland. I don't think anybody is actually saying that he did raise his arm in a Nazi salute, but it did cross my mind as well. I wonder what Paolo Di Canio thinks about this?

Another great night of football ahead. So dreading having to work at 10am all day though. I am going to be in a semi-comatose state for suuure.

Just the fact that England have lost so many of these big clashes in recent years in WC and Euro tournaments kind of makes me think that this is the time. Maybe Portugal's ball movement under Scolari's guidance will be too sharp for the English, but unless Pauleta shows the form that he is supposed to be capable of (never seen it myself) Terry and Ferdinand will definitely be comfortable. That said I would love to see Portugal cause an upset.

Probably would be an intelligent bet for England (+0.5) but no bet for me, just want to sit back and enjoy this one.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
brogan77 said:
He was saying "Hi Hitlers" not "Heil Hitler"

AMIRITE?!
hahahahhahah gold.

but, seriously, ive saluted people with my arm raised before. i somehow really doubt he saluted hitler :p as funny as that would be if he did

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Up until this this point I've never hated a sporting team or a sports player, but after Italy/Aus and Italy/Ukraine a farken h8 those azzuri carnts, bunch of diving pussies.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
High temperatures. Surely that will work against England...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)