The Official 2005 Gendered Lang thread! (1 Viewer)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I've done a radio interview, but our teacher keeps on setting it up as if we would be doing it as our essay...i havent written any sort of creative piece (other than my story) that DIDNT have a discussion of my texts in there (eg: elizabeth, twelfth night, related) I just feel as if i would be blabbing on about nothing. would u recommend a discussion of what we have learnt or not?

i) when doing a creative piece on tannen's theories, do u mention texts (as i asked above) and if u dont, do u just make up scenarios as she seems to do and discuss how people could get out of the situation?
dont get sucked into thinking that there might be an essay (usually there is like 90% of the time but i think the 2003 one was to creative texts) hopefully there will be an essay this year as it is much easier.

for argument sake i'll just call section one creative and section two the essay to make it easier...

So regarding mentioning texts in the creative peice -
usually they say that you have to use your prescribed text (tannen) and one other text (say 12th night) what i would do was use elizabeth in the creative responce.
I figgure that you have to learn both so you may as well use them.

when you are doing your creative peice - say it was a story or something - mabye one of your characters have just watched the flim elizabeth (or gone to see the play the 12th night) and that character mentions it or something. very easy way to intergrate it in... Your character could be commenting on how deceptive Geffory Rush's chacter is (and you could use the actual actors real name) if your character was a women talking to a women they would be bitching about it a little etc... so work it in like that.

so yeah - i would recommend that you do use yoru texts in the creative peice. It does not have to be a blatant discussion like - Tannen says this in her book etc... It can be intergrated more subtly. And with this mabye use a different idea to your essay -
so if your essay you focused on dynamics b/w women adn men through langauge - mabye your creatiev peice woudl focus on something different - remember that the same marker marks both gendered langauge papers so they dont want to read the same thing twice.

but rememebr there are other creative peices that you can get not just an essay. Last year we were able to chose what we wrote - but be prepared for something else

ii) Should the creative thing be as long as an essay? i usually write 9 A4 pages (not HSC booklet pages) in 1 hour if i know what i'm talking about. My story in my trial was similar, but that is because it was a story and i had written it prior to the exam.
ummm well my creative peice was always longer then my essay - i just had a thing for hte creative peices... 9A4 pages woudl deffiently be enough -

_Benji_

HSC
at this point i think i want to kill someone- preferably tannen.

WHAT?!!
I had a COMPLETELY different idea of what creative pieces were supposed to be- eg u dont even have to mention ur texts!! its just making up some story etc exhibiting gen lang....damn teacher....

oh god....im so confused now....

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
_Benji_ said:
at this point i think i want to kill someone- preferably tannen.

WHAT?!!
I had a COMPLETELY different idea of what creative pieces were supposed to be- eg u dont even have to mention ur texts!! its just making up some story etc exhibiting gen lang....damn teacher....

oh god....im so confused now....
i'm so sorry i hope that i haven't freaked you out completly.

it really seems that all that has been focused on with the creative question is a story this year

Please dont forget that they can speificy a text type that you have to write in and it may not be a story!!!

To clarify what i was saying about using your texts in the creative peice - ohk if you were writing a story - then obviously you would not have to use your peice - as it may not fit in at all (some people would like to use it however, i would have becuaes i figgured i've learnt it i'm using it) but it is not compulsory!!!!!!!

to give an example from some of the past HSC questions which i'm sure that you've had a look at;

2004 HSC

‘Language is a virus.’
(LAURIE ANDERSON)
Use this line as the basis for a piece of imaginative writing that explores and expresses the
complex nature of language.
In your response, draw on your knowledge and understanding of the elective you have studied
in Module C.

in the 2004 Question you could use a story- thus would not have to use your texts

or you could write a feature article, a newspaper article, speech, radio transcript, movie scripit etc etc... in some of those text types it may be practical to use a text.

2003 HSC

Question 12 — Elective 3: Gendered Language (25 marks)

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2003exams/pdf_doc/english_ext1_03.pdf
(Link is for the picture)

The illustration above is for an opinion piece in a daily newspaper. Your task is to write the
accompanying article.
In your response, you should draw on your knowledge and understanding of gendered language.

in that question you have to write a feature article
so it may be convineant to use one of your texts.

as the essay said that you need to
In your answer, draw on your knowledge of the compulsory text, at least ONE of the other
prescribed texts, and other texts of your own choosing.
so if you used only one in the essay (say elizabeth) then you could use the 12th night in your creative peice...

i hope that makes a little bit more sence for you[/COLOR=DarkGreen]

_Benji_

HSC
thanks.... im less confused now....you had me worried for a sec...lol
yeah i know creative doesn't= story, i have 3 responses written- a story a opinion piece and a letter....so yeah no problems there...

so, its ok to create situations in which u exhibit tannen's theories (ie one of mine is about a woman getting annoyed with her husband's behaviour at a trivia night)...?

does anyone have exemplar responses for this section? maybe ill take a trip to the library...

_Benji_

HSC
lmao..... they are shit i have to entirely redo them in accordance with new information, me thinks ^^ lol

dodgey stereotyped gendered cliches....

*thinks of more ideas*

_Benji_

HSC
my responses just sound like those dumb examples Tannen gives about her friends brothers' girlfriend or whatever driving in a car and arguing....lol

One of the hsc line ppl told me the best advice she could give was to "challenge assumptions".... hmmm i could write about a lesbian couple or something where one sounds like a man but you find out its really a chick at the end....hmm

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
_Benji_ said:
my responses just sound like those dumb examples Tannen gives about her friends brothers' girlfriend or whatever driving in a car and arguing....lol

One of the hsc line ppl told me the best advice she could give was to "challenge assumptions".... hmmm i could write about a lesbian couple or something where one sounds like a man but you find out its really a chick at the end....hmm
You know, Tannen uses lesbians as examples in her book. She says something to the effect of "Lesbian women are less likely to have sex than gay men because in a gay relationship one of the men assumes a dominant role as 'initiator' whereas the lesbian women try to keep symmetry and thus nobody initiates the sex"

That was the most random anecdote in the book..that and the kids saying "i want a Whole WHOLE pickle"

_Benji_

HSC
lmao..... no i didnt know either of those....guess i didnt read that far..

now...THAT is pushing her theories....thats a bit....pffttt i dunno but it sounds even more generalised than the rest of her book...

we got the book that's half red and half blue :) well i havent seen it for a while, but as far as i recall...

have u picked up on this one....just to show how much of a raging feminist she is, she has to break the commonly accepted usage of "men and women" and reverse it to "women and men" in the title.... i mean its not that weird to do BUT im SURE it was just so "women" goes first....ehehe

_Benji_

HSC
that's disappointing.... another tannen book in ur sig would have REALLY started to scare me. All it's doing at moment is making me feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing....

Grrr..... i just sit here day dreaming about the end of the HSC.... it's SO bad...i've like given up bothering to try "meh, nearly over"
when really THIS IS IT!!!

And i know im going to disappoint everyone seeing as i topped my school internally but i haven't done like anything since trials *please hope rank scales me up*

</end "poor me" rant>

HSC
i agree with you 100%. I've been bludging/relaxing during my "study" time as well. I keep telling myself "you've tried hard all year". When i get in the exams i've been ok, because most of the info is stored in my long-term memory and all comes back with a quick refresher of quotes.

PS: did you know she actually has four different cover designs for that same book?!

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Haha gendered language. You poor men and womyn :(

_Benji_

HSC
it must be to attract more readers...disguise it again every few years....little does she know that the only reason her sales are so high is cos in some lil country called oz some stupid state has it on the syllabus.

Actually it's a bit pop culture....couch psychoanalysis style....im sure they advertise it on Oprah.

HSC
she probably advertises it in her lectures like doctor phil does.
EG: Tannen: "Today we discover that Men and women talk in polar ways. For more information consult my book 'You Just don't Understand: Women and Men in conversation' avaliable from all good book stores. Class dimissed!"

OMG! i just got an awesome idea for a story. There will be this woman named deborah that analyses everyones language. eventually, a group of school students collabrate and concoct a plan to destroy her. They approach her and start arguing with confrontational language as she tries relentlessly to reinforce symmetry. Yet, their dominance is too strong and she collapses to the floor and convulses screaming "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!". The End.

_Benji_

HSC
thankgod the tannen sig is gone!

eh...Dr Phil is so like tannen.....dodgey failed psychologist....

your story could work....turn it into a melodrama!!

and ur characters- the students can all exhibit stereotypical language.....one guy who just goes "bloody women" another who big notes himself etc etc... and in the end they get so sick of tannen they kill her as you mentioned.
C'mon give a marker some entertainment!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)