The Odd One Out (1 Viewer)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hey guys,

For an English assignment, our current topic is "The Odd One Out" and for an assignment, we are required to find FIVE related texts reflecting the concept of "The Odd One Out".

Currently, I've chosen one and that's the play "Twelve Angry Men"

Can anyone suggest to me some good related texts? (Novels, poems, songs, film, TV show, episode of a TV series)

Thanks in advance.

occer

HSC
N/A
To Kill a Mockingbird? Wild Cat Falling?

klaris

HSC
God, there are a load of texts and material on "the odd one out" which I'm assuming relates to belonging.

If you want something YA you could try Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta although that might be a bit girly for you. It deals with issues like working class v. upper class, suburbs (e.g westie v. eastern/northern) and also racial discrimination. Australian novel like The Story of Tom Brennan; set in Sydney in the early nineties.

Something that might be a bit more appealing to you is The Story of Tom Brennan, about a 17-year-old who feels like an outsider (i.e "odd one out") because of his family's history etc etc. It's a pretty good too, but Alibrandi is much better. Australian book, also, which is a bonus and also helps with relating to characters.

You could also have a look at The Outsiders by S.E Hinton. It's excellent.

Hope this helps.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
God, there are a load of texts and material on "the odd one out" which I'm assuming relates to belonging.

If you want something YA you could try Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta although that might be a bit girly for you. It deals with issues like working class v. upper class, suburbs (e.g westie v. eastern/northern) and also racial discrimination. Australian novel like The Story of Tom Brennan; set in Sydney in the early nineties.

Something that might be a bit more appealing to you is The Story of Tom Brennan, about a 17-year-old who feels like an outsider (i.e "odd one out") because of his family's history etc etc. It's a pretty good too, but Alibrandi is much better. Australian book, also, which is a bonus and also helps with relating to characters.

You could also have a look at The Outsiders by S.E Hinton. It's excellent.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot! I'm doing The Story of Tom Brennan now as well:)

Looking for Alibrandi didnt appeal to me that much. I also have to choose a song, well I've chosen "Numb" by Linkin Park, what do you guys think? I reckon it works.

de__locke

HSC
I don't know, I hate Linkin Park. I cover my ears.
I'm with klaris though on The Outsiders, it's a really, really amazing book and a very easy read.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I don't know, I hate Linkin Park. I cover my ears.
I'm with klaris though on The Outsiders, it's a really, really amazing book and a very easy read.
lol some lean that way but i simply love their music, its unique

and i got my hands on the The Outsiders, had a look at it and looks awesome

Amogh

HSC
N/A
check out "The Absolotue True Diary of a Part time Indian"
its interesting to read
and you can make easy bs about how one can get ostracised from society..blah..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)