The Nova Peris decision (1 Viewer)

fatboi

HSC
N/A
this is not how it works

u have to poast a link and give cliffs and then your own opinion

niloony

HSC
It's politics and politics can choose whoever it wants as especially in this case it makes little difference either way.

But I guess it's nice we won't be paying another white man.

will90211

HSC
It does indeed matter - a great deal.

1) In the last half of the year Gillard was gaining momentum. They were starting to more clearly articulate their narrative and achievements. They were testing out their language for the election year and it sounded good. The rogue Newspoll which showed Labor gaining ground was very important because it gave substance to noise which had gathered around Labor that they were competitive. For a few week after Christmas the dynamic was shifting, and it was favoring Labor. Team that. by the way, with the some money for western Sydney... Then, all of a sudden the media goes wild and you get this show. You get a week long discussion on Gillards lack of judgement and how Crossin was 'knifed'. This was very important because yet again Labor has shot themselves in the foot and naturally at the same time has stalled them. Also... speaking of poor political judgement, Gillard had to do a news conference, this only amplified the problem - this could of been done much more quietly.

2) The fact that Crossin was not alerted to the Nova raid plays into the libs message of 'you can't trust this PM'. If you think we won't hear this again then you're a mug. There is already a rusted on opinion that the PM is slippery - regardless of what you think her polices are like.

3) I don't really mind the 3rd point but ... It shows contempt for the NT Labor Branch, the sitting Senator and shows a loss of faith in the 'proper' Labor process. However I'm not so concerned about this as both sides drop 'star' candidates in.

4) Simply put, Nova is a novice. At her press conference(s) she was nervous and bogged down by questions re: nature the pick. She should of simply said that its about policy and all the good stuff and start ti use the national media to sound out her beliefs.... It was great air time, but her incipience wasted that.

Our friend AJP Taylor might say that the Nova decision has 'Put the wind in the Coalitions sails'

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Again, who cares, it'll all be forgotten post Australia Day.

will90211

HSC
It won't be forgotten. Abbott will tie it into his 'you can't trust this pm' line. Also, when the actual selection takes places it'll get some air time. I personally think that Crossin will get the top spot on the ticket - if that happens it will "end in tears", not just for Nova but for Gillard as well.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I'm sure the national executive is really going to snub gillard and vote for crossin, totally undermining her. They aren't stupid.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
we should have an aboriginal quota in parliament

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In any event, I suspect the real reason Nova is being out in place is because the writing was on the wall from Crossin anyway, but the Feds didn't want the place going to Scrymgour

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The conference merely elects the executive. But that's right you don't believe elected officials should pay any heed to what their electors think.
Lol, that's a blatant lie, there no need to be upset.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
But seriously, I think Crossin has been treated poorly, I won't deny that, but this thing is mountain-mole hill stuff. The labor party constitution allows such moves to be made, there's nothing new in that, nobody is guaranteed pre-selection election after election. I just don't think it's a big deal.

will90211

HSC
The actual usurp of the 'proper' process matters little - unless you genuinely care about the process, democracy in action and the integrity and transperancy of the Labor party. We're not new to politics, we're not niaeve and so we know that this is nothing really new. However this IS important because yet again gillard shows a remarkable gift for shooting her self in the foot, however good her intentions may of been.

Also... No Quotas, appointment should be by merit and nothing else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)