The Nokia N95 (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Evolution2006 said:
just wait til the n97 hits the market this yr it will blow the iphone away
The N97 is a prime example of an apparent iPhone killer that on paper looks awesome but in reality fails. Resistive Touch screen especially WTF. And of course Symbian. See drawbacks here:

Nokia N97 hands-on part II: the reckoning - Engadget

Maybe it'll improve on release.

As I said before, I think the only competition will be the Palm Pre

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
dolbinau - the popular opinion of those in the telco industry (in which I work) - is that it really isn't that great, and this is highlighted by the flood of calls that have been increasing in the past few months of people now having issues with their iphone.

the only thing the iphone had going for it was it's brand, but at the end of the day, there were better phones available. look at the sales the LG KU990 had, they've just celebrated a major milestone in their sales too.

you don't need to tell me what these gadget sites like to say, and what's predicted, i know all too well what is going to come onto the market, and what the statistics are like of phones that have already hit the market.

and we never really saw the blackberry storm as a competitor to the iphone anyways.

dolbinau

HSC
Out of curiosity what issues are reported?

And what phones do you think are viable competitors? Especially those at the time of release (6th month 07, although there was no 3rd party apps then in any form, web or otherwise so that would have been a major downfall).

I don't think there is any phone on the market at the moment that can compete with the iPhone's UI bundled with the Capacitive touch screen, music/application ecosystem and internet browsing. I think it's an extreme oversight to dismiss the iPhone as simply hiding behind a brand.

For me, the worst 'problem' I have with the iPhone is Optus' 3G network which was measured in an iPhone survey to be the slowest in the world. (From an Apple forum I post at, Telstra users have it much better).

EDIT: late edit

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Out of curiosity what issues are reported?

And what phones do you think are viable competitors? Especially those at the time of release (6th month 07, although there was no 3rd party apps then in any form, web or otherwise so that would have been a major downfall).

I don't think there is any phone on the market at the moment that can compete with the iPhone's UI bundled with the Capacitive touch screen, music/application ecosystem and internet browsing. I think it's an extreme oversight to dismiss the iPhone as simply hiding behind a brand.

For me, the worst 'problem' I have with the iPhone is Optus' 3G network which was measured in an iPhone survey to be the slowest in the world. (From an Apple forum I post at, Telstra users have it much better).

EDIT: late edit
Telstra uses NextG and its users pay through the nose for it. The problem with Optus was that its 3G was slower than most other 3G networks around the place.

The iPhone isn't terrible, but Apple have gimped it fairly heavily if you don't know how to jailbreak it.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
My sister has the 8GB, it is awesome. But my favourite phone right now would have to be the LG Viewty.

Ligeti

HSC
If you like the N85's features then buy a N82, you won't regret it. It's almost half the price, same camera, better flash, it's a stick phone (which lasts longer) and it's lighter.

In regards of the iPhone debate. It's great for the apps, but very annoying to sms and a bit too big to be carrying around. Also has a shitty camera.

dolbinau

HSC
I agree the size might be too big for some, and the Camera (if people actually use it seriously). But do you mean SMS is annoying because of the on screen keyboard? It takes practice but you can be just as proficient as keypads with predictive text entry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)