The new area of study: discovery (1 Viewer)

Mrmellow

HSC
What are areas of study? There has been substantial scaremongering concerning this :uhoh: for next year. What does a change in AOS really mean for the 2015 year 12 people? Thanks

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Think of Area of Study as a module but in itself, everyone has to do the same topic. So for example Module A - comparative, I might study Gwen Harwood + Maestro whilst you may study Robert Frost + a different novel, same for Module B and Module C. However, Area of Study is a state-wide common study - so belonging for the past couple of years has been the AOS.

Since they have changed it to Discovery, you, I and the rest of NSW who completes their HSC in 2015 must study Discovery. Not quite a massive change to the syllabus since the aspects of Discovery and Belonging are in essence, the same. e.g. human nature, context, blah blah blah but it is something interesting to speculate on since its not often that an entire module is changed. However in saying so, because it is a new AOS; from what i have been told, markers tend to be more flexible since they understand that this is the first cohort to study this AOS... so work hard, attain good marks and sell your essays ;)

astroman

HSC
will our discovery texts be marked less strictly considering the fact we are the first cohort to do the new AOS?

HSC
Think of Area of Study as a module but in itself, everyone has to do the same topic. So for example Module A - comparative, I might study Gwen Harwood + Maestro whilst you may study Robert Frost + a different novel, same for Module B and Module C. However, Area of Study is a state-wide common study - so belonging for the past couple of years has been the AOS.

Since they have changed it to Discovery, you, I and the rest of NSW who completes their HSC in 2015 must study Discovery. Not quite a massive change to the syllabus since the aspects of Discovery and Belonging are in essence, the same. e.g. human nature, context, blah blah blah but it is something interesting to speculate on since its not often that an entire module is changed. However in saying so, because it is a new AOS; from what i have been told, markers tend to be more flexible since they understand that this is the first cohort to study this AOS... so work hard, attain good marks and sell your essays ;)
Be nice and upload your essays for free. Unless you go to ruse or a top selective school you won't make much so just upload for free.

Mrmellow

HSC
What do the different modules represent? Are they just identical in their structures, but with different texts for them? Thanks for the responses

Axio

=o
HSC
What do the different modules represent? Are they just identical in their structures, but with different texts for them? Thanks for the responses
They are the different categories of the prescribed texts and are analysed slightly differently.

Module A - Comparative study about texts and context
Module B - In-depth study on one text; about textual integrity
Module C - One prescribed and a related text focussing on the representation of ideas in texts

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I disagree haha, some kids at 'ruse or a top selective school' aren't too great at English whereas some students at comprehensive schools are much better

It all comes down to the individual
Well they study smarter. HSC is game. They can r0te learn and still get a better mark then most people at comphrensive schools.

To put this in perspective irrc 55% of the Baulko cohort had an internal mark of 90+

Mrmellow

HSC
So for module B it essentially what you do in year 9-10, that is, just analyze a text on it own. I feel that is much better as discussion of context is easier and the whole analysis is thorough. Thanks

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
The only thing that some students find off-putting about Module B is that the questions are targetting to each individual text, and can be quite specific.

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
have a look at www.hscdiscovery.com.au as there will be information and highly recommended related texts being posted in Term 4 :) (You can get a general idea of what will be available by checking out the 'Belonging' stuff that's already on there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)