"the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC" (1 Viewer)

HSC
midifile said:
Sorry for joining in on the sonya bashing, but seriously, we all get that you are smart, you dont have to reinforce it in every thread. Yes, you should be proud of doing well (as am I), but continually bringing it up shows either insecurity or arrogance. If the thread is about subject/trial, etc results feel free to flaunt them, but otherwise, respond a little more objectively, rather than bringing it back to how smart you are.
agreed,
she must be really insecure if she has to reinforce it so often
coming first in a 400+ ranked school doesn't exactly imply intelligence either

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
coming first in a 400+ ranked school doesn't exactly imply intelligence either
it doesn't imply lack of intelligence either, although flaunting it in a public forum isn't the smartest thing to do

HSC
timobr0 said:
it doesn't imply lack of intelligence either, although flaunting it in a public forum isn't the smartest thing to do
yeah i know

i'm just being the elitist bitch i've been taught to be

treehat

HSC
What constitutes hard work? I think studying the night before each of my trials worked really well for me lol, and it felt like veryy hard work. Maybe because I don't usually do any homework but hm. I did get 85-90 in all of them so I was very happy . (does that make me intelligent lol, i dont know?) For the HSC I plan to study a week, I haven't studied since the trials.. I'm just so not worried about it yet , and I dont want one of those stupid jobs like law, accounting and stuff omg how boring! You'll all die lol. Actually all my friends and most people in my year haven't been working yet .. We are tiredd.

HSC
midifile said:
Although I agree with what you are saying, I have 100x more respect for the kid who isnt naturally smart and works their arse off to compete with those that are and do well in life, than the kid who says "oh well. im not smart ill just work in retail my whole life and get centrelink benefits".

Although being intelligent is a huge advantage in many aspects of life, it is not the only way to be successful, and if you look at a range of successful people, quite a few are people who would not be considered 'naturally smart'
I would hardly advocate extreme hours of work if academia is not your thing. I respect people who play their talents.

HSC
your teacher probably knows who he is (at least by name) if they use 'key features' for modern
he also wrote the syllabus
he's pretty rad

Last edited:
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
your teacher probably knows who he is (at least by name) if they use 'key features' for modern
he also wrote the syllabus
he's pretty rad
my ancient teacher probably will. My modern teacher spends too much time jacking it to learn anything about the syllabus.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
1) I object the notion that sheer hard work will get you a good HSC mark and a successful career.

Thoughts?
I think hard work is enough. I don't think the average citizen is hindered by his intelligence so much that he couldn't succeed in any field if he had the drive. Most people could succeed in any field if they were willing to work hard enough at it and had the interest and drive. I don't think there are huge intellectual limits on the general population. It just seems like there are extremes of intelligence in high school because people develop at different rates.
The whole academic process is a bit of a joke at measuring real workplace skills in many ways.

I've realised that some of my friends who got <50 UAI are far more intelligent and mature than me in many ways. Most, if not all, traditional marks of intelligence can be learnt- Extreme's of memory, I.Q. tests etc... are proven to be learnable talents for below average individuals.

Are men really born so different, predestined by their biology?

But I'm probablly just a bleeding heart because I've been around smart kids at uni too long :D

Last edited:
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
My modern teacher spends too much time jacking it to learn anything about the syllabus.
oh wow what a cool guy
man i hate teachers that don't teach/don't know what/how to teach
really, why bother becoming a teacher in the first place

HSC
Graney said:
I think hard work is enough. I don't think the average citizen is hindered by his intelligence so much that he couldn't succeed in any field if he had the drive. Most people could succeed in any field if they were willing to work hard enough at it and had the interest and drive. I don't think there are huge intellectual limits on the general population. It just seems like there are extremes of intelligence in high school because people develop at different rates.
The whole academic process is a bit of a joke at measuring real workplace skills in many ways.

I've realised that some of my friends who got <50 UAI are far more intelligent and mature than me in many ways. Most, if not all, traditional marks of intelligence can be learnt- Extreme's of memory, I.Q. tests etc... are proven to be learnable talents for below average individuals.

But I'm probablly just a bleeding heart because I've been around smart kids at uni too long :D
I guess. I just want to hold onto the notion that I can make up for my incredibly small penis with a good UAI.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Graney said:

It's true though, UAI measures shit all, just effort over a span of a year. Not to mention being spoonfed most of the time (unlike Uni)

not.addie

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
bruce dennett, he's my modern teacher
but he taught ancient last year
his lecture at usyd was awesome!! we always use his textbooks in class. i would love to have him as a teacher

HSC
lol yeah
he's an awesome teacher
his lectures are what we get everyday in class, it's fantastic

studentcheese

HSC
People who get 100 UAI are usually the naturally smart kids, but something like 80 UAI is usually from both hardworking and naturally smart kids.

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
well I guess I can call myself naturally smart, not hard working, because I don't study, or I just cram the morning before an exam and get 90's for everything.
Hoping HSC's just gunna work out the same as all the other ones.

I just common-sense everything or just conjour up bits and pieces I remember from class.

Best example is night-before cramming for trails and 98% in Ag.
My ranks are all awesome too, and I go to a good school - I sure wont get 99 because I don't do any work, but I know I'll do well.

xJennax

HSC
I kinda agree with this. People who study A LOT can do well even if they aren't naturally smart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)