The Name Of This Thread Is Talking Heads... (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The Name Of This Thread Is The Talking Heads...

After a long period with little-to-no mention, I figured it was time to have a thread discussing The Talking Heads, a very underrated band. Most people remember them for pop hits such as 'Road To Nowhere' and 'Burning Down The House' (Not disparaging those tracks), but they had much more to offer.. Albums expressing paranoia at well, everything, (Fear Of Music), refreshingly bizarre lyrics. songs ranging from touching ballads to funky grooves, and ultimately proving a major influence on bands such as Radiohead. [Not just the name..Listen to 'Remain In Light'.]

So yes, favourite albums/songs?

My favourite album would be Remain In Light, although Stop Making Sense is up there too..

Favourite song is hard, but here are 7(7');
-This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
-Heaven
-Once In A Lifetime
-Crosseyed And Painless
-Listening Wind.
-Life During Wartime.
-Psycho Killer.

Great band..

Your favourites? Anything else about The Talking Heads you feel like mentioning?

Points to those who get the reference too.

Last edited:
"this is not my house, this is not my beautiful wife"
i need to extend my talkiing heads listning drastically.
thom yorke has mentioned a number fo times that they were a massive influence on radiohead (especially on a friday)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by BallymcBallTits
"this is not my house, this is not my beautiful wife"
i need to extend my talkiing heads listning drastically.
thom yorke has mentioned a number fo times that they were a massive influence on radiohead (especially on a friday)
Yeah.. Another track in which the TH influence is apparent is the live version of 'Go To Sleep'.. The extended solo is reminiscent of 'Born Under Punches' (The Heat Goes On)

given the general impression from the thread topics in this forum, i fear that there wont be that much of a responce to this thread

Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Yeah.. Another track in which the TH influence is apparent is the live version of 'Go To Sleep'.. The extended solo is reminiscent of 'Born Under Punches' (The Heat Goes On)
ahh yes, i remember reading this somewhere, and then trying to download the track, but kazaa decided that i didnt really want to download it after all.
thanks kazaa :cool:

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I don't 'love' Talking Heads as such, have a few favourite songs:

-Road To Nowhere
-Once In A Life Time
-Wild Wild Life
-And She Was
- Our House In The Middle of the Street

I'm sure there are more - I've downloaded a number of Talking Heads songs in the past.

walrusbear

HSC
hey i saw this late
i'm very intent on listening more.
i only real got interested by the name dropping from radiohead.

so far the only tracks i've heard are once in a lifetime, psycho killer, this must be the place and burning down the house. like them all a lot.

which album should i get first? start at the beginning? :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
The Talking Heads... They are similar to Queen in that I was raised with their music on in the background for 44 hours each weekend (or so it seemed). A good band. Once in a lifetime would have to my favourite (the favourite that I can name, anyway), and Psycho Killer is up there, too.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by walrusbear
hey i saw this late
i'm very intent on listening more.
i only real got interested by the name dropping from radiohead.

so far the only tracks i've heard are once in a lifetime, psycho killer, this must be the place and burning down the house. like them all a lot.

which album should i get first? start at the beginning? :p
You could do that. I'd recommend acquiring Remain In Light first, seeing its probably their best album. (For the tracks you listed..Once In A Lifetime is on RIL, Psycho Killer on Talking Heads 77', This Must Be The Place and Burning Down The House on Speaking In Tongues.. All four are on the expanded version of Stop Making Sense, which is also highly recommended.). Takes a couple of listens, but the grooves are very addictive, particularly Once In A Lifetime and Crosseyed and Painless. [Worth downloading.]

:)

I still need Fear Of Music.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I am a fan as such, but i haven't got all their albums! I only got into them a couple of years ago when i read an Article in Rolling Stones Magazine where they had Richard Ashcroft name his fave albums, a TH album being one of them.

I would say that their music was influential in shaping some of the most intelligent, unique and awesome bands today e.g Radiohead.

I have only two albums which are 'Remain in Light' and 'Speaking in tongues', the former being my favourite!.

i might get they 'once in a lifetime' TH box set just to add to my collection!

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Originally posted by BallymcBallTits
errr isnt that by madness?
Talking Heads definitely does Our House . . . - never heard of Madness, but you know how some songs are performed by 2 or 3 + different bands, maybe both sing the song :confused:

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
this thread reminded me to have a look at talking heads (i keep forgetting)

thanks dude, ur always useful :)

Originally posted by bluesky100
Talking Heads definitely does Our House . . . - never heard of Madness, but you know how some songs are performed by 2 or 3 + different bands, maybe both sing the song :confused:
im pretty sure you're wrong
our house is by madness, and as far as i am aware, the talking heads have never covered it

Andronicarse

The Mothership Connection
HSC
psychokiller is brilliant.
hahaha, David Boon did a nice parody for the Late Show (Martin, Molloy, Sitch et al)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)