The name of the mathematic subjects in the b/comm? (1 Viewer)

Nspz

HSC
Hi everyone,

I am currently studying an Advanced diploma of marketing and wanted to do a bachelor of commerce next year majoring in marketing. I was wondering if anyone could please name the mathematics topics within the compulsory units in which you will have to do. Seeing as I have not done mathematics in over a year, if i could get a hold of the topics within the course I could do some preparation before my degree begins.

From my research I have found that these three compulsory units contain math (I asked at the open day) yet the sort of math was not identified. I think stuff like probability will be needed but I am not sure.

- BUSS1020
- BUSS1030
- BUSS1040

Can anyone pave some insight upon the math topics in which one should truly learn before commencing the course? Also are these three subjects the only three subjects that require math or do the subjects below also require mathematical skill?

- BUSS1001
- BUSS1002
- BUSS1900
- BUSS3500

Oh and one more question, does the bachelor of commerce (liberal studies) degree allow one to skip the compulsory units yet still be able to major in marketing?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
BUSS1020: i personally didn't find the maths hard (i only studied general maths and this was years ago) - there's topics like bayes theorem, conditional probability, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, normal distributions, discrete probably distribs, continuous probability distribs..
BUSS1030: simple arithmetic + rearranging equations (as long as you have a calc, you'll be fine)
BUSS1040: first derivs (differentiation), graphing equations, rearranging equations (harder)

i'd advise doing a bridging course for 1040 and 1020 if you haven't done 2u. none of the remaining subs require math. you only have to do 1900 if you fail a referencing exam in buss1001.

sorry can't help with your other q.

Nspz

HSC
BUSS1020: i personally didn't find the maths hard (i only studied general maths and this was years ago) - there's topics like bayes theorem, conditional probability, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, normal distributions, discrete probably distribs, continuous probability distribs..
BUSS1030: simple arithmetic + rearranging equations (as long as you have a calc, you'll be fine)
BUSS1040: first derivs (differentiation), graphing equations, rearranging equations (harder)

i'd advise doing a bridging course for 1040 and 1020 if you haven't done 2u. none of the remaining subs require math. you only have to do 1900 if you fail a referencing exam in buss1001.

sorry can't help with your other q.
Thanks a lot for clearing that up dude. Im going to study the 2u course for 3 months during my major holidays and try to learn the content as much as possible.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
np.

I've uploaded the uos outlines for the mathsy subjects and a formula sheet for stats so you can assess its level of difficulty - I would've done this earlier but I had so many exams and assignments these past few weeks.

edit: I'd personally recommend not studying the entire 2u course. If I were in your position, I'd study the following (in order of importance):
- differentiation (from first principles) e.g. what is the derivative of f(x) = 2x^2+20x+1 = 4x+20 << this is the sort of stuff you'll be doing in micro
- rearranging equations
- graphing equations

If you want to do any studying beyond that, try to get a head start on micro, stats or even accounting. This will be far more helpful (and less stressful during semester 1) than studying the entire 2u course.

and here are some good maths resources:

http://maths.mq.edu.au/numeracy/mums.html
http://sydney.edu.au/stuserv/documents/maths_learning_centre/2UBridgingexercises.pdf

If you're able to do exercises 5 and 6 with ease (from the above pdf), you don't have to study differentiation imo. That's as hard as it gets for micro.

All the best.

Attachments

Last edited:

y510920

HSC
Uni Grad
dude, BUSS1030 is introductory accounting lol, there is no maths there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)