• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Musical Acquisition Thread (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
My acquisitions in the last couple of months are definitely a case of quality over quantity;

Augie March-Thanks For The Memes
R.E.M-Green
Go-Betweens-Before Hollywood (Remastered edition.)
Wilco-Summerteeth
Sonic Youth-Sister
Talking Heads-More Songs About Buildings and Food
Gorecki-Symphony #3

:)

artfag

Banned
HSC
most of john zorn's entire discography
peter brotzmann - medicina
merzbow - merzbox cd's 1-9 / 50
merzbow - last of analog sessions
merzbow - aqua necromancer
khanate - s/t
raphe malik quartet - last set live at the 1369 jazz club
the homosexuals - collection
ryoji ikeda - 0 degrees c
va - extreme music from africa
va - the american anthology of folk music vols 1 - 3

HSC
the thing about mezbow and the whole noise movement is that it's alot more fun to create than listen to, though it retains the artistic quality of a pile of sand.

want some interesting takes on noise? check out Robin Fox, he's an australian electronic artist who started running his noise pieces through an oscilloscope. its fucking amazing stuff.
you cant get his DVD "backscatter" through synesthesia.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Merzbow's Ultramarine Blues has a similar sound to getting your ears washed out with a syringe. :rolleyes:

Noise = Post modernist music, because its music that isn't music and making a statement that music doesn't have to be music..Merzbow did an Ulver cover that sounded pretty cool though - probably just because it was some remix of an old Ulver song than anything else though :p

Anyway the latest CDs I've bought :

Evergrey - Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy
Samael - Exodus
Samael - Eternal
Samael - Passage
Amorphis - Tales of the One Thousand Lakes
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

Last edited:
HSC
its true though, it is music.
just not very listenable music.

i love getting into arguments with the eggheads at the con about it (i study computer music you see, and they think i'm wasting my time)

artfag

Banned
HSC
eh, different strokes for different folks. call me crazy, but i love listening to merzbow

at first it just seems like an unlistenable wall of sound, but i guess you just have to get used to it. unlike a lot of shitty noise artists out there, merzbow isn't just about random noises. if you really listen closely, a lot of his stuff does actually have 'structure'. listen to 1930 or animal magnetism - the layers upon layers of sound are really fascinating and intense

i'm listening to the first 9 cds of MERZBOX now, and it's interesting to hear how he's evolved as an artist

anyway, i love this merzbow quote- "If noise is defined as uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me." but yeah, i can easily understand why people would hate him

HSC
my favorite noise piece is the windows kernel :p

data files actually make a pretty good base for noise tracks. alot of careful editing has to be applied though.

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
mack said:
Id have to say my fave is "Hallelujah"
isn't everybody's?

i seriously believe if you don't like that song, that version in particular, you don't like music. instrumental and vocal talent, clear and raw emotion, simple and beautiful melody, and stunning lyrics (snaps to leonard cohen - there were two other verses that jeff doesn't use that are absolutely beautiful). it's up there with imagine, bridge over troubled water, the scientist, with or without you, stairway to heaven, exit music (for a film), and unchained melody as one of the most beautiful songs of all time.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
artfag said:
eh, different strokes for different folks. call me crazy, but i love listening to merzbow

at first it just seems like an unlistenable wall of sound, but i guess you just have to get used to it. unlike a lot of shitty noise artists out there, merzbow isn't just about random noises. if you really listen closely, a lot of his stuff does actually have 'structure'. listen to 1930 or animal magnetism - the layers upon layers of sound are really fascinating and intense

i'm listening to the first 9 cds of MERZBOX now, and it's interesting to hear how he's evolved as an artist

anyway, i love this merzbow quote- "If noise is defined as uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me." but yeah, i can easily understand why people would hate him
I went through a Darkthrone/RunningThroughTheWoodsLikeATroll phase (and I still listen to the stuff as well heh), so I'm totally experienced with the good old fuzzy wall of sound :p

propagandhi

HSC
N/A
buzzcocks-love bites
the saints-the new boxset....drool
leonard cohen-ten new songs (finally i actually find a copy of my fave album of his)
flogging molly-alive behind the green door
strike anywhere-exit english
the cure-bloodflowers
on the road with the dropkick murphys dvd--- god, you dont understand how cool that is...

artfag

Banned
HSC
va - can't stop it! australian post punk '78-'82
keiji haino & boris - black, implication flooding
phil ochs - pleasures of the harbour
sol invictus - let us prey

and 10 or so jandek recordings. i'm trying to get his whole discography and i'm not even halfway there yet. ugh

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)