The Metal Thread. (1 Viewer)

HSC
ariande said:
[Speaking in generalisations here]

May I point out to all the metal fans on here, that metal is derived from classical Baroque music. Listen to a metal riff, take out the distortion and compare it to a Baroque song. I think you will be pleasantly [or unpleasantly - depending on whether you're trying to infuriate your parents or not *rolls eyes*] surprised.

The actual metal genre, coming from bands like Metallica, was supposed to be music that was harder, angrier, and yet accepted by people. That's why there was an emphasis on Baroque themes in the style of music.

I'm going to just assume that I will have people flaming me for comparing metal to classical... Might I point out that I too, listen to metal.
Even though you lost all respect you possibly could have gained by admitting to owning a Linkin Park album, I think you have some pretty good points here.

But, not entirely correct.

I suppose you could compare the riffs of some of the metal that's founded in neoclassical roots to Baroque - the likes of power metal most obviously, but also metallica-esque type stuff. Also I guess the guitar polyphonies of bands like Opeth and some others could be considered similar to Baroque polyphony.

I tend to find the more 'artistic' (at risk of being called an elitest fucktard, fucking morons.) metal has more similarities to Romantic period music, 20th century serialism and to Jazz.

The use of the powerchord and the octaves mean that it is much more thematically centered rather than chord progression based (as you'll see in Baroque music, with the exception of fugal type pieces).

Depends what genre of metal you mean I guess, I can listen to Weakling's "Dead as Dreams" (best black/extreme metal song EVER by the way) and hear some definate baroque influence, likewise with Emperor's "Empty", but for the most part I hear Romantic, Serialist and Jazz more than I hear Baroque/classical.

Addendum: If anyone dares point out that I first stated you were incorrect and then was only able to provide examples that further your statement I will be most displeased.

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
thats a cheap joke mate.

ghost reveries...well its a change from damnation but its no where near blackwater park or still life.

ariande

The Don
HSC
Perfect Element said:
Even though you lost all respect you possibly could have gained by admitting to owning a Linkin Park album, I think you have some pretty good points here.

But, not entirely correct.

I suppose you could compare the riffs of some of the metal that's founded in neoclassical roots to Baroque - the likes of power metal most obviously, but also metallica-esque type stuff. Also I guess the guitar polyphonies of bands like Opeth and some others could be considered similar to Baroque polyphony.

I tend to find the more 'artistic' (at risk of being called an elitest fucktard, fucking morons.) metal has more similarities to Romantic period music, 20th century serialism and to Jazz.

The use of the powerchord and the octaves mean that it is much more thematically centered rather than chord progression based (as you'll see in Baroque music, with the exception of fugal type pieces).

Depends what genre of metal you mean I guess, I can listen to Weakling's "Dead as Dreams" (best black/extreme metal song EVER by the way) and hear some definate baroque influence, likewise with Emperor's "Empty", but for the most part I hear Romantic, Serialist and Jazz more than I hear Baroque/classical.

Addendum: If anyone dares point out that I first stated you were incorrect and then was only able to provide examples that further your statement I will be most displeased.

To be entirely honest, I have that Linkin Park CD from when I was in year seven... I would most likely feel much too ashamed to go out and buy one nowadays.

But some very good points raised :)

HSC
ariande said:
To be entirely honest, I have that Linkin Park CD from when I was in year seven... I would most likely feel much too ashamed to go out and buy one nowadays.

But some very good points raised :)
That's reassuring to know.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ariande said:
[Speaking in generalisations here]

Because there is a lot of comptetition... Most people who listen to metal try to dissociate themselves from 'mainstream' and pop music... The natural urge of a metal head is to attack those who listen to what they, or other people classify as 'mainstream'. So Slipknot for example, their fans often get attacked by people claiming that 'real' metal heads don't listen to it, or any other kind of Nu-Metal, like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit etc.
I was more referring to the fact that you lot seem to be at each other's throats more than most genre-loving kiddies.

Elitism will always be there, people like artfag stay at the 'avant garde' of music and complain about other styles in a bid to continue this trend, in the end this 'avant garde' music slowly becomes accepted and they move on.

The masses come in and fragment into the various genres. It happens with anything social whether it be fashion or music.

But the metal scene'sters seem to attract more fights than anything.

wanton-wonton

HSC
AsyLum said:
Elitism will always be there, people like artfag stay at the 'avant garde' of music and complain about other styles in a bid to continue this trend, in the end this 'avant garde' music slowly becomes accepted and they move on.
I wouldn't call Kyuss, Mastodon, most of his sludge metal bands or Prince avant-garde.

Last edited:

ariande

The Don
HSC
AsyLum said:
I was more referring to the fact that you lot seem to be at each other's throats more than most genre-loving kiddies.

The masses come in and fragment into the various genres. It happens with anything social whether it be fashion or music.

But the metal scene'sters seem to attract more fights than anything.
Well... Clearly we are all more angry at our abusive parents which caused our wrist slicing ways [/sarcastic stereotypical generalisation]

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
wanton-wonton said:
I wouldn't call Kyuss, Mastodon, most of his sludge metal bands or Prince avant-garde.
notice the ' ' ?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I wasn't using them in the strict sense of the word, thats what the 'avant garde' means.

wanton-wonton

HSC
AsyLum said:
I wasn't using them in the strict sense of the word, thats what the 'avant garde' means.
'Pardon me' as in 'my mistake' not as in 'come again?'

HSC
ariande said:
By the way. Absolutely LOVE your av. Jay and Silent Bob are legends amongst gods.
To be honest, I've only actually seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back... but who could argue with this avatar!

AsyLum, metal kiddies feel left out in the "acceptance of musical intelligence" field. Most of the smart ones know that metal is as intricate and as well composed as Classical, Jazz whatever.. Even Baroque as ariande would have you believe (ariande as in ariadne as in the string and the labrynth?) heh.. No one beyond the realm of metal recognises this, and thinks metal kids are all angry little angsty teenagers.

Deep down we all know it truly does stem from angsty little teenage-parent rebellion, but no one wants to admit it. And as such metal heads tend to develop a rather aggresive defense of their musical tastes.

Or we're all just angry aggressive assholes, take your choice.

ariande

The Don
HSC
Perfect Element said:
(ariande as in ariadne as in the string and the labrynth?)
Yes indeed, daughter of Minos who fell in love with Theseus. I've seen it spelt Ariande before, and that has been my internet alias since I was about 14, so I've kept the different spelling.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Perfect Element and Schroedinger, cool it.

Back on topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)