The Melbourne life (1 Viewer)

stainmepink

HSC
hey guys,

i'm thinking of applying to Melb Uni, although i live in Sydney and have never been to Melbourne. Could you tell me what Melbourne is like compared to Sydney?

These are some of the rumours i've been hearing, let me know if theyre true or false (as i have no clue):

1. Melbourne is fashion capital
2. Melbourne has a better nightlife than Syd
3. All the streets are gridlocked, so theyre exactly straight and angled at 90 degrees to each other.
4. It takes 1 hour to fly from Melbourne to Sydney, in total costing $40 one way flight.
5. Melbourne Uni is very pretty, but boring.
6. Melbourne is not as "multicultural" as Sydney.

treason

HSC
gobaby said:
hey guys,

i'm thinking of applying to Melb Uni, although i live in Sydney and have never been to Melbourne. Could you tell me what Melbourne is like compared to Sydney?

These are some of the rumours i've been hearing, let me know if theyre true or false (as i have no clue):

3. All the streets are gridlocked, so theyre exactly straight and angled at 90 degrees to each other.
4. It takes 1 hour to fly from Melbourne to Sydney, in total costing $40 one way flight.
1. I'm a guy wouldn't know.
2. Yep. And it's safer :D
3. Generally yes.
4. Don't know about the $40 bucks, sounds a bit too cheap. Have a quick search on virginblue.com Guess pricing depends on time, day, season etc
5. No there's plenty to do on campus.Social Clubs, Cafes & Restaurants on Lygon St, Pubs, etc
6. Melb Uni is like 50% asian, assuming multicultural = asian.

Another poignant thing to note, no race riots :D

Melbourne would have to be safer than sydney.

HSC
gobaby said:
hey guys,

1. Not sure about that...as a guy, I consider Melbourne the sporting captial
2. Yes, as treason said, it's far safer. When I was up in Sydney, felt somewhat scared during the night.
3. Most streets are but there are exceptions. You are probably thinking of the CBD in which case the answer would be yes
4. It takes around 1 hour, but I'm not too sure about that pricing. Might be a bit more, like $60-$80.
5. From the times I've spent at Melbourne Uni, I find that Melb Uni is pretty and exciting. Tonnes of stuff to do.
6. Melbourne is an extremely multicultural community consisting of Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Spanish, Indian, Vietnamese, Maltese, Irish and numerous other groups.

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Since its all been boys posting on here -

1. Yes! Melbourne clothes are so so so good, If you have the creds, Chapel Street is the best thing ever. So many excellent little boutiques - can find completley original stuff. One out of every five girls walking down the street makes me so completley twisted with jealousy over their clothes.

2. Ive only been out once in Sydney, but I think that Melbourne has a better range of stuff to do. Plus, trams run until like 1 in some places, so you can get around places cheaply - lots of good pubs for gigs, good clubs, etc.

3. True - at least for most of them. The four main parallel streets in the Melbourne CBD go like this - King, William, Queen, Elizabeth. Cool hey?

4. I think its a little more expensive to fly from Melbourne to Sydney, but there is specials on all the time. Its not heaps at any rate.

5. I havent started Uni yet, but I wouldnt say Melbourne Uni is boring. Im living on Campus so I dont think it will be there - perhaps a bit stuffy?

6. Melbourne is very multicultural - huge greek and italian populations, as well as Asian. Brunswick was built by wogs.

lizzies85

I'm from Sydney, but study in Melbourne. Not at Melb Uni, but hey.

In reply to your theories:
1. There are better shops here if you're into the designer thing, but other than that, pretty much the same. The big shopping centres here (Southland, Chaddie, Knox, etc) are bigger than at home, but there are less of them.
2. The nightlifes are on average the same-ish, you've gotta know the right places to go in both cities, but I think on average there's a few more nice places to go down here.
3. As everyone else has said, the main ones all are. It makes it less confusing than Sydney, and Bourke, Collins and Flinders (the main streets that run cross city) are a lot shorter than George, Pitt and Castlereagh.
4. It takes anywhere between 50 mins and an hour and a half depending on the day and time of day. It takes less time in the middle of the day and late at night, cos there's less traffic at each airport. It has cost me anywhere between 50 bucks (go happy hour specials on virginblue) and 150 bucks one way to go home for a weekend.
5. It looks a bit like Sydney Uni, and I have been told varying reports on what it's like.
6. Bout the same.

On the whole, Melbourne and Sydney are pretty much the same, but Melbourne is a bit smaller and quieter. You get asked which is better a LOT. But you get used to it. It's structured a bit differently as a city. Where we have like 'mini cities' eg, Chatswood, Hornsby, Penrith, Parramatta, Liverpool, etc. They don't seem to have that sort of structure, it's the city and then everything else.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I'm not down there yet but spend a great deal of time in Melbs. I'll be going to VCA, which will soon become a faculty of the University of Melbourne, at the moment, it's just 'affiliated'.

Yes. Shops, Shops, Fashion, Fashion.
Yeah and it's a lot more safer, as long as you don't do anything dodgy that is.
Not all the streets, but it's more planned than sydney if that's what you're getting at. It's easier to get around. WAY EASIER than Sydney.
It's a little over an hour and I think jetstar does $49 (exc. taxes) one-way
Oh Melbourne uni is GORGEOUS. out of the uni's I've seen etc. I think the colleges of Uni of WA is the only one that compares. It isn't boring. I've read that there are so many different societies, clubs that you can become involved in. And Uni of Melbourne has one of the best college/residential hall systems in any of the Australian unis. Selection is competitive because they're so popular. And yeah, I just got into one. My 1st pref. Go ME! AM soooo excited.
6. Melbourne is not as "multicultural" as Sydney
Bull-crud. I like to think it is way more multicultural. I have to say it's a lot less 'divided' than sydney. Everyone lives in one another's backyards, and it's cool that way.

Hey Joy_division. So yeah, I got an early offer for college. I got into QUEEN'S!!!! YESSSSSS. Can't wait. :)

neelz

HSC
Yep, sure is.
Yes it is better, heaps more stuff. Though I might be a tad bias :p
Yes in the city it is! But not all streets.
PRetty much.
Yes and no! If you get involved with heaps of stuff it can be super great. well thats what I've heard. :D
6. Melbourne is not as "multicultural" as Sydney
Totally the opposite!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)