The McDonald's Thread (2 Viewers)

Pyrokinetic

HSC
I am confused by Macca's. I recently applied to them all in my local area, got an email back from one asking if i was available for an interview, i booked it in online and prepared myself. My past experience involved retail for 3 years, Banking for 1 year and Bar work for 4 years so plenty of Custome Service, Team Work and Till interaction. In my opinion the interview was awesome, by far the best one i have had, went through all my past experience, he liked how i had plenty of customer experience and liked how i handled the 'fake customer' situation he gave me. We laughed and talked about what we done in our spare time and i went away from the interview really positive, however i got a rejection email saying that someone else was better suited for the job and i was kind of miffed to be honest, i did however read before my interview that a lot of places just hire the 16 year olds due the the big difference with pay and things and i put it down to being 19 nearly 20 that i didn't get it :(

Has anyone else had similar experiences with age?
I think with your experience you'd be better off at a better place (possibly higher paying) than maccas anyway.

But yeah, i worked at maccas a couple of years ago when i was 16 and it was my first job experience. A 20yr old guy with far more experience was after the job as well but i got it instead :/

Experience isn't a bigger for applying at maccas i don't think, the whole customer service thing knowing your way with the cash register handling money and serving food is quite easy to pick up in a few weeks.

ItsTimee

HSC
I think with your experience you'd be better off at a better place (possibly higher paying) than maccas anyway.

But yeah, i worked at maccas a couple of years ago when i was 16 and it was my first job experience. A 20yr old guy with far more experience was after the job as well but i got it instead :/

Experience isn't a bigger for applying at maccas i don't think, the whole customer service thing knowing your way with the cash register handling money and serving food is quite easy to pick up in a few weeks.

Thanks, not to sound big headed or anything but i agree with my experience being well above Mcdonalds....i was just curious to know whether employing young people over more experienced was a well known thing with Maccas haha.

spence

HSC
Thanks, not to sound big headed or anything but i agree with my experience being well above Mcdonalds....i was just curious to know whether employing young people over more experienced was a well known thing with Maccas haha.
It is with maccas, and I would think it would be the same with most companies that hire a lot of younger people. Out of curiosity why did you apply?

ItsTimee

HSC
It is with maccas, and I would think it would be the same with most companies that hire a lot of younger people. Out of curiosity why did you apply?
I was desperate for work but i have a Retail job at Cotton On for Christmas so i am pleased with that for now.

spence

HSC
Just realised my 25cent pay rise is actually going to turn into a pay cut cause I have to go part time and I think I need to switch to the new award :(
Well I didn't need to switch to the new award :)
But ended up getting like $2 less an hour, but I do get annual leave now

ashllis92

HSC
The age thing is shocking at my store! on every shift we have about 6 people rostered (we have the smallest production area in the country yew!) 5 will be 14, one will be 17/18 to look after them all and then the manager :vcross:
since leaving school my hours have skyrocketed because im now the youngest (read: cheapest) person who can work day shifts...

spence

HSC
The age thing is shocking at my store! on every shift we have about 6 people rostered (we have the smallest production area in the country yew!) 5 will be 14, one will be 17/18 to look after them all and then the manager :vcross:
since leaving school my hours have skyrocketed because im now the youngest (read: cheapest) person who can work day shifts...
Wow 6 people for a shift is tiny, I don't think we ever have less than like 12 people working

ashllis92

HSC
yeah, we work bloody hard and early in the morning and late at night we only have 4
on boxing day and new year we'll probably have around 15 working at absolute maximum and they're our busiest days of the year, its somewhat ridiculous d/t times probably wont go above 50% if we're lucky and i'll be on bottom so i'll be in the shit for it

beefnoodle

HSC
I am a 20-21 year old university student desperate for a job. What is the chance of me being hired by Maccas?

Last edited:
HSC
I am a 20-21 year old university student desperate for a job. What is the chance of me being hired by Maccas?
Not very likely, you'd be lucky if you could get a job doing day crew, which is monday to friday open-4am shifts, and that's only if they need 1-2 more people max.
Seeing as most of them are full time who were working before they finished school.

thefeeling

HSC
Should i report Maccas?

i got called up for an interview with Maccas a couple of months ago (Feb- March)
i was told i got the job, and i had to prepare everything for the orientation
i prepared all my stuff and went for the orientation
i was given my uniforms and everything but then i was never called for my first shift, i called them after about 3 weeks and they told me i didn't exist in their records. They called me up and i went to check what was wrong. The manager told me to re-apply and everything would be fixed in less than 24hrs
2 weeks later nothing had happened, so i withdrew my application coz i was pissed.
I was never paid for the module reading or the orientation. I never returned their uniforms. Should i report them? is it classified as unfair dismissal or sumfin?

gypo101

HSC
guys how does pay for fulltime at mcdonalds work?
i mean i have seen the Mcdonalds federal award but it just has a set amount like $357 or something, is this the amount u get each week no matter the hours u r working, or do u get more than this?
does the amount depend on ur hours?
and if so how much do u get an hour, thanx xD

big beau

HSC
Hey, ive been working at mcdonalds in Yeppoon for a while now and im trying to set up my metime account, but all the managers i ask dont know much about it! Is there some type of temporary password i can use to set up my account?

ashllis92

HSC
i mean i have seen the Mcdonalds federal award but it just has a set amount like $357 or something, is this the amount u get each week no matter the hours u r working, or do u get more than this?

As a rule, maccas don't employ fulltime people except managers. It's pretty hard to get a managers position straight off the bat without doing at least 2-3 years as crew. As far as managers are concerned they don't get anything extra for overtime or anything.
If you get a job as crew you are casual and are paid per hour or part thereof

gypo101

HSC
As a rule, maccas don't employ fulltime people except managers. It's pretty hard to get a managers position straight off the bat without doing at least 2-3 years as crew. As far as managers are concerned they don't get anything extra for overtime or anything.
are you serious?
i thought it would be like KFC, they hire full time pplz :(
o well thanks

spence

HSC
Unless you're a manager, full timers still get overtime if they work over the hours they're rostered.

There are quite a few full time crew people at my store

spence

HSC
yeah, we work bloody hard and early in the morning and late at night we only have 4
on boxing day and new year we'll probably have around 15 working at absolute maximum and they're our busiest days of the year, its somewhat ridiculous d/t times probably wont go above 50% if we're lucky and i'll be on bottom so i'll be in the shit for it
Wow, we'll probably have about 15 in back area alone on boxing day. But then again, we'll probably be doing a 5 grand hour

ashllis92

HSC
Well I work at a small franchise store on the south coast so this may change certain things, it sounds like you work at at much bigger store in syd...

Our store is tiny, the whole back area is roughly 10 m2 :| 15 people couldnt physically fit there let alone work. You're constantly crashing into people with 6 or 7 there... We've all given up on apologising when we bump someone or we'd be saying sorry 3 or 4 times a minute

Gloamglozer

HSC
I've just been offered a job and have been invited to their orientation. Has anyone had an "orientation" or did they just get into the job? Apparently, I'm supposed to get my work uniform on that day but what am I supposed to wear to the day?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)