The Malaria Thread (1 Viewer)

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Malaria:
Is caused by a parasite that invades the RBCs and feeds on haemoglobin (Hb). Sickle-cell haemoglobin (HbS), is indigestible to to malaria parasites, and people heterozygous for sickle-cell disease are resistant to malaria
Saladin, K., Anatomy & Physiology, 2004.

delz

HSC
Malaria Assignmnet

Hey this is a malaria assignmnet I did I strongly advise u dont just copy and paste it needs to be edited heaps

Hope it helps

Dela

delz

HSC
malaria assig

It had pictures throughout but i had to remove because it took up too much room if u use the bibliography u should be able to find the pictures and any other information you wish to include the websites with gov on the end were the most helpful. Hope it will be of some use to u

Dela

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
um you guys, u dnt need to know much about malaria. All you need to know is the historical development, which is scientists and all that stuff... wat r u guys going on about?

malkin86

HSC
You can use malaria for other dps than the historical development.

queenie

HSC
malkin86 said:
You can use malaria for other dps than the historical development.
such as what?

dude, why would u use malaria for the dotpoint that says symptoms etc when u can use something as easy as influenze and still get the same marks (if not better) for learning less?

im really confused.

malkin86

HSC
But it's not learning less - you'd have to remember all the stuff on malaria (and the symptoms etc. would be considered 'common knowledge') AND the stuff on the flu. I just found it easier with less case studies, but if that doesn't work for you, that's fine too.

queenie

HSC
u dnt need to know malaria's symptoms; u jus needa know the historical development.

this is taken out of part of my notes from last year;

Outline the historical development of our understanding of the cause and prevention of malaria

- Firstly, in the mid 1700s(?) Pasteur proposed the germ theory of disease - ie, that all diseases are caused by microorganisms. he also disproved the theory of spontanous generation. Koch's postulates are the modern scientific methodology in confirming the cause of a disease

• In the 1600s, Quinine (an extract extracted from the bark of a tree) was first used in Europe to treat malaria.

In 1880 Laveran discovered the pathogen that causes malaria; a protozoa called Plasmodium V.Vax *or something* Plasmodium caused the disease. Other species of Plasmodium were discovered over the next 10 years.

• In 1897 Ross found cysts in the stomach walls of the mosquito and identified the cysts as the malaria-causing parasite. Ross proved that mosquitoes transmit malaria and began investigation controlling the disease. Ronald Ross’ work on Malaria identified insects as vectors of disease (a vector is an arthropod that acts as a carrier of a pathogenic organism.) Malaria is a disease transmitted by the insect vector- female anopholes mosquitoes.

• In 1898 Grassi demonstrated the mosquitoes can carry Plasmodium in their digestive systems.

• In the late 1940s, chloroquine was developed. It was the first synthetic anti-malarial drug used. Initially, it was very effective in curing malarial infections but many strains of malaria are now resistant to it.

• In the 1950s, the WHO began a coordinated effort to eradicate malaria. This involved methods to destroy mosquitoes (such as introducing fish into swamps to eat mosquitoes draining swampy land, and spraying oil onto pools of water) and extensive use of antimalarial drugs.

most important thing there is that u need to know the vector - FEMALE ANOPHELES mozzies (not all mozzies cause malaria, and u gotta be specific in bio).

So theres the historical development, u dnt need to know any more...

The flu is so much easier for the other syl dotpoint cause its pretty much general knowledge, if you do malaria u gotta know the lifecycyle and its VERY complicated. It used to be part of the old sly but they cut it out.

Anyway, do watever u want, like i care ;)

Last edited:
HSC
is anyone else doing a malaria assignment atm? my school is making us do one one malaria, the aqis, endemic diseases to australia etc. meh bio is boring

penciltron

HSC
these new developments for malaria are great but im wondering if i shud use it in my exams, because if the teacher doesnt know about them will i get any marks for using them?

Abtari

HSC
malaria in the syllabus is only considered in terms of its historical development and NOT its symptoms, causes, transmission, host response, control, treatment etc. that is for any disease you like but just out of convenience, many choose to use malaria anyway as this limits the scope of which they need to know for the hsc.

hope those who are confused are clearer. :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Prehistory: Movement of hominids carrying plasmodial baggage from
Africa and Asia through Europe and possibly to the Americas

1500s: Proposed introduction of P falciparum to the New World
1600s: Use of the ’’Peruvian bark’’ by Jesuits for the treatment of malaria
1820: Pelletier and Caventou extract pure quinine alkaloids
1880: Laveran identifies the causative agent for human malaria while
working in Algeria
1885: P vivax and P malariae are identified by Golgi
1889: Sakharov (1889) and Marchiafava and Celli (1890) identify
P falciparum
1897: Ross demonstrates the transmission of avian malaria by Culex
fatigans
1898: Grassi, Bignami, and Bastianelli show that human malaria is
transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito
1914: World War 1 highlighted the need for access to cinchona
plantations for quinine
1934: Synthesis of chloroquine (Resochin) in Germany by IG Farben
1939: Paul Muller discovers the insecticidal properties of
dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane
1940s: World War II, major programs to develop synthetic antimalarials
1944: Proguanil is synthesized by Curd, Davey, and Rose in England
1950s: Emergence of drug-resistant chloroquine
1950: Elderfield synthesized primaquine
1960: Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT)
1960s: Re-use of sulphones and sulphonamides as antimalarials
1980s: Use of insecticide-impregnated bed nets
1980s: Identification by the WRAIR of a compound called WR 238605
with the generic name tafenoquine (not yet commercially
available)
1985: Lariam (mefloquine) becomes available for European travelers for
malaria chemoprophylaxis
1980s: Rediscovery of artemisinin derivatives in China and development
of trioxane derivatives
1989: (Halfan) Halofantrine
1980s: Concept of standby emergency treatment
1991: Identification of the histidine-rich protein 2 by Parra et al led to the
development of malaria rapid tests
1998: Malarone (atovaquone-proguanil) approved for malaria
prophylaxis and treatment
2003: Guidelines on malaria chemoprophylaxis for travelers. World
Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
Health Canada, and so forth

(source: Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2004 Jun;18(2):189-205)
i got this from a random site.. to access usually u need a paid/free reg subscription i think..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15145375&query_hl=1

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
chingly_choo said:
I fear that even this will not help me pass my exam
What do you call a pass exaclty? 50% or greater.

For me its 90% and i failed, i got 85% in my half-yearly. guys heres some advise study up heaps on the student outcomes they are all the high-level mark questions in the HSC Examination. Hope this helps in some way or another.

Cade

HSC
Malaria is an infectious disease caused by protozoan parasites transmitted by FEMALE anopheline mosquito . The protozoan parasite is of genus Plasmodium sp. There's 4 of them:-
1. Plasmodium falciparum (most widespread & dangerous)
2.Plasmodium vivax
3.Plasmodium ovale
4.Plasmodium malariae
They develop in the gut of the female anopheline mosquito and is passed on in the saliva of an infected insect to human when it takes a bit. Then they are carried to the liver where they multiply and is finally released into the the blood vessel. I cut short the notes cuz I'm not sure if all learn bout the lifecycle of malaria. And yeah chloroquine can be used to combat malaria but unfortunately, Plasmodium falciparum is resistant to chloroquine. Hope this helps. :)

HSC
Malaria affects between 200 and 400 million people a year in a broad band of tropical counties. It kills up to 10% of its victims and debilitates the rest so they become less resistance to other diseases. Australia has been successful at eradicating malaria but quarantine must be vigilant as people enter or re-enter the country.

The Cause:
The unicellular parasite called plasmodium.

Transmission:
It is carried by a vector. The female anopheles mosquito, transfers it from human to human. Plasmodium reproduces sexually and forms sporozoites ready to enter a human.

Host Response:
When sporozoites enter the blood our immune system will recognise it as foreign and B-cells (type of white blood cell) will attack it. The body temperature will rise to try to slow down the metabolic processes in the invader. As the pathogen enters the liver cells, other blood cells, T-cells, take over the role. When merozoites breakout of the red blood cells that they invaded, the release toxins. The toxins are dealt with by both the B-cells and are also filtered out by the liver and kidneys.

Major Symptoms:
Feeling lathargic, fever, chills and headaches

Treatment:
A family of drugs called chloroquinine usually successful if taken early enough. Some trains of plasmodium have become resistant to some of the drugs.

Prevention:
Anything that will stop mosquites bitting. Long sleeved clothing, mosquito nets, insecticides, also antimalarial drugs such as paludrine through some are becoming resistant to it.

Control:
Government or charity organised programs including widespread pesticide spraying, education and funding to promote the use of mosquito nets impreganated with insecticides. Use of covered drains, draining ponds and other breeding grounds, funding for development of new drugs, genetic engeneering of mosquitos. In island nations that are free of Malaria, such as Australia, stricked quarantine to isolate any infected people and to spray imports for mosquitos.

Please do not copy word for word, but i do hope that this is helpful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)