'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kt8

HSC
was just wondering if you guys think this novel is good to use as a related material for inner journey. I have a speech coming up next week and I've done some work on this novel but I'm so confused now.. coz after I talked to my friend, she thought it was more like an imaginative journey as this main character Susie is speaking to us from Heaven. So what do you think? Should I use another novel instead then?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I tend to disagree with your friend about the journey being imaginative since she's speaking from heaven.

She's talking about something real that happened - it was based on a true story wasn't it? If this the case, speaking from heaven and retelling the story (whether in present context or past context) is just part of the technique used to tell the story.

It's been 2 years since I've done my HSC and I didn't do inner journey for AOS and even longer since I read the book, so I can't help all that much sorry.

G

go_elizabeth

YES!
it is a really great book cos u can talk about what the parents reading it go on a journey and so do the kids with empaty and stuff

Lil Clutch

HSC
hey im doing imaginative journeys and i am using that text. however inner journeys and imaginative journeys are similar, like for some texts both of these concepts apply. i was discussing the lvoely bones with my teacher today and she was worried that it was too much of an inner journey related material! however, after a little thought she told me it was a good text and that i could base an analysis on how the novel takes on an imaginative journey to bring about an inner journey. so maybe you can do the same, but because your topic is inner journeys, dont steer from its main concepts and linking it back to the text, as i have to with imaginative journeys. hope this was some help!
also, if you want after i finish my analysis and you do yours we can give each other our analysis'. it might not be relevant, but we are using the same text for different topics, so itll be interesting to read an analysis from a different view. well cya! and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)