• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I just bought the book about 2 week ago and read the first few chapters....it's good but it creeps me out because im scared of the descriptions of murder, limbs and what not...*shudder*. The book is so eloquently written so far but im reluctant to keep reading further...ill save it for one of those bright sunny days on the USYD lawns reading...reading it alone just scares me too much. I know this is pathetic cos it's not even a thriller/murder/horror book. Far from it but i still get the creeps about the apprehensive tone in the beginning....

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i read this book like years ago, you people are all behind the times.
yeah its a pretty emotional story, the begining i felt was the most powerful because of the perspective of a girl who was a victim and is now dead.
I felt the helplessness because he basically got away with it and there wasnt much she could do to warn her family.
Her image of heaven... i didnt think was like a perfect world, it was really quite sad because its like this little girls view on what the world is like and her idea of heaven is just to live her life and do things that i have already done.

It brings a certain feeling to heart, like i would try and save someone younger than me even if it cost my own life because then they can experience things that i have allready.. it places a real value on life like live life to the fullest while you still can sort of thing.

mss_gtr said it made her cry like a woman, but i think that as a man i was more touched by this book. Thoughts and ideas that dont normally come to mind were shoved in my face and experiencing certain things from a young girls persective was interesting to say the least. Things that i took for granted, like being able to walk home from school safely every day well sometimes a girl doesnt get that luxury and its upsetting

a very good book, unexpectedly so ...infact i think i might go and re-read it

Emly

E.T
HSC
i read this book a few weeks ago.. i admit, i cried in it.
its just so sad.

i dont think that the heaven she went to was beautiful, because she could watch her loved ones down on earth, but couldnt join them, or talk to them. it was more like hell. can you imagine being stuck, not being able to talk to your loved ones, as they went on their lives, unsuspecting.

livk

HSC
This is my all time fav book!
its really comforting to know (well if you have ever lost someone) that they can watch over you! even tho its a`fictional novel haha its till conforting!
but i have chosen to do this as my related text for inner journeys!
if anyone has any notes on this please email them to me asap!
thanx guys!
:)

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
I first heard about this book from my year 10 English teacher who was telling us about some of the stuff that we would be reading in year 11 English. At the time i looked for it in the school library and they didn't have it so i forgot about it then i found it in the school library last year when they had just bought it and read it before we had to read it in class. It is a very well written book and i cried numerous times whilst reading it. I loved the depiction of heaven it seems more appropriate than pearly gates and stuff and more likely than pearly gates as well.

w00dy.

HSC
this book among with a few others would have to go down on my favourites. i somedays find myself picking it back up again and again, its one of those books that no matter how many times you read it. you can always go back for more.

i was thinking of using it as one of my selected texts in the area of study that we are doing in english 'the family' at the moment. but after a little consideration i decided against it. i didnt want to kill a perfectly good book by tearing it to bits for an english essay. when i could probally find something a little less to my taste and destroy that instead.

'the lovely bones' is definately a book to read. if anyone hasnt already done so. its a little bit of reality that we could all probally relate to in some way.

blyss

HSC
demosthenes said:
I never cry and i cried when i read this book.
same...i loved this book...its reallly well written n its a story u can read again and again without getting sick of it

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
One of my favourites too..
Appropriating this heaven in my own short story for english...at least the whole non religious aspect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)