The Literary Acquisition Thread (1 Viewer)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Christmas brought me:
The Winter Door - Isobelle Carmody
Darkfall - Isobelle Carmody
While I live - John Marsden
The High Lord - Trudi Canavan
A 3 in 1 book thing - Wilbur Smith
A couple of cook books (I think mum's trying to give me a hint)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Having read this novel a fortnight ago and enjoying it very much (Wit, humour, the evocative employment of a child's perspective, insightful post-colonialist commentary, it's almost got it all.) I had to acquire;

Arundhati Roy-The God Of Small Things.

It being a university text also assisted my decision. (And now I can return the copy I was kindly lent.) :)

Katgurl

I have really been getting into Thomas Hardy at the moment, really good author, very descriptive althought Tess of the d'Urbervilles is quite depressive. If you want a classic that is good and well written but not too heavy try "Far from the Madding Crowd".
I am feeling really pleased with myself coz i just bought "War and Peace" and have read the first 100 pages! (only an odd 900 pages left!) And am quite enjoying myself.
I have also been reading "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore, really makes you think about the stupidity of people in the world, no wonder the Americans have so many problems with aeroplanes, many airline pilots are living below the poverty line, hurray.
Then when i've finished i will read "The Farseekers" by Isobelle Carmody.
Isn't reading lovely!

mayhemily

HSC
lovely, lovely reading...

twas a very sad christmas for me because i got NO BOOKS. so i've been reading 'the redemption of althalus' by david eddings. then i suppose i should read my english texts - in the skin of a lion by michael Oonadgidrwt;osr and A LOT of crime fiction - any suggestions of whats good on the crime fiction scene?

also WHEN IS ISOBELLE CARMODY RELEASING THE NEXT BOOK IN THE OBERNEWYTN SERIES?????????????????????/

Inhuman

HSC
Originally posted by mayhemily
also WHEN IS ISOBELLE CARMODY RELEASING THE NEXT BOOK IN THE OBERNEWYTN SERIES?????????????????????/
not soon enough for my liking thats for sure

a couple of days ago i managed to pick up secondhand copies of Mickey Zucker Reichert's Prince of Demons and The Children of Wrath

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Originally posted by mayhemily
I -heard- it's due out September 2005! *cries*
But that's just a rumour... in 2001 I heard it was due out 2003, only to be disappointed.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
well, i acquired more books today.

at grace bros there's a 35% discount if you buy 3 full-priced books. i bought don watson's "death sentence", noam chomsky's "september 11" and the barry trotter sequel

at angus and robertson's i bought the 1st barry trotter book.

Ashleet

HSC
Goulds in newtown is a goldmine for 2nd hand books, thats if youre willing to spend a whole day going through the totally unorganised piles and boxes. everything is priced pretty well, however if you're after first editions, its very rare to find one where the price on the dust jacket hasnt been removed. I would love to go in there and just totally organise it one day.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ok my latest Aquisition (this was all at once at Angus & Robertson):

A Tale of Two Cities - $4.95
Crime and Punishment - $9.95
White Oleander - $18.95
Lolita - $19.95
Anna Karenina - $9.95

Not bad I didn't think!

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Man you wasted 19$$ on White Oleander? pffffffffffft.

Lolita was a good buy though. I kind of wish I had a copy of the book so I could read it again and again and again. (I owe my library a 30$ fee. :()

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Went on a bit of a book-acquiring jaunt in Sydney today. It went swimmingly. Bought;

The Norton Anthology Of English Literature Volume Two [General Editor; MH Abrams] (The clerk at Co-Op was even kind enough to give a 10% discount, possibly because I mentioned not being able to afford membership at present.)

Russell McGregor-Imagined Destinies; Aboriginal Australians and the Doomed Race Theory 1880-1939. (From Basement. A proper academic tome on an interesting topic at a very good price. Who'd have thought?)

Should be ordering 'A History Of Modern Europe' and 'The Sound And The Fury' on Saturday.. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I bought Dante's Inferno the other day. Excellent poetry, gotta love Medieval Tuscan. :D

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
All in the last 3 months or so

Haruki Murakami- South of the Border, West of the Sun
Fyodor Dostoevsky- Crime and Punishment
Milan Kundera- The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Joseph Heller- Catch 22
F. Scott Fitzgerald- The Great Gatsby

inasero

Reborn
HSC
recently acquired 'the screwtape letters' by C.S.Lewis
and 'Rachel's Tears', a book about Columbine victim Rachel Joy Scott for a birthday present. Have yet to open the covers though~

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Went into Sydney University today, and obtained;

Ed;Dr Lynette Olson and Dr Julie Ann Smith-'Early Medieval Europe' Course Reader.
Friedrich Nietzsche-The Portable Nietzsche, [trans.Walter Kaufmann, Viking Portable Library.]
William Faulkner-The Sound And The Fury [Norton Critical Edition. Noice, 260 pages of background/contexts/criticism to supplement the text itself.)

Methinks there are more books I want to acquire from Co-Op. :p

Serpentia

The last couple of books I have bought

Inferno - Dante
This is the first book in the divine comedy (a trilogy), detailing dante the pilgrims travel through the various layers of hell. One of the literary classics, naturally found in the classic section.

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
I have read this book before, but I saw it on sale and thought I'd snag it, perhaps I shall make myself read it again some time soon, it's a brilliant novel, another classic!

Paradise Lost - John Milton
I bought this during the holidays after panicking because the book I had borrowed of Milton's works only contained an abridged version of this, and I wanted to read the whole thing (because at that point I was thinking at tying it into my extension two MW). So I visited both of the books shops and couldn't find anything, then stumbled across a little second hand book shop to find this beautiful book staring up at me. It was such an awesome fluke *cuddles her book* I love it!.

Sometimes Gladness - Bruce Dawe
A collection of poems by that dude, a modern poet. I don't usually read a great deal of modern poetry but I thought I'd give it a go.

The works of John Keats
A bloody brilliant poet, wrote a fantastic poem called Lamia which I am in love with.

Collected Poems - Alexander Pope
another book of poetry, haven't gotten around to reading any yet lol

Beyond Good and Evil - Nietzche
I thought I would give philosophy a go, also because it ties in with my MW. It's very interesting so far, takes a long time to read though, very deep, very intricate.

The Oxford Anthology of English Poetry - part one (of two)
I am IN LOVE with this book, it follows English poetry from the 1500's onwards.... can't wait to buy the other book.

so yes, I'm a poetry freak......... but then again most of those books, if not all of them, were bought to help with my MW (which is in the form of poetry). Either way, I will treasure the above books.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Serpentia which translation of Inferno did you get? And did you see the other two comedies? I haven't come across them as yet, though after the first I'm keen too see if the other two are any good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)