the Life of a Med Student (1 Viewer)

jang

is not my real name
HSC
just out of interest...
what is it like?
is the workload comparable to hardcore hsc or much less?
what do u do: weekdays,weekends?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I heard that med students have to do 6 years of practise in rural areas... is this true?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
absolution* said:
I heard that med students have to do 6 years of practise in rural areas... is this true?
thats BMP and MRBS med students (they're additional places made by the govt)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
jang said:
just out of interest...
what is it like?
is the workload comparable to hardcore hsc or much less?
what do u do: weekdays,weekends?
*shrug*
i hav 5 day week..
about 28hrs.. and it is mostly tuts (think: u hav to hav 90% attendence or they can choose to fail u) so u hav to attend.. very diificult to jig them.. (reqs u to fake doctors certs.. problem is.. ppl at the med school are doctors who check.. if they know a name.. :( )..

ummm study is complicated .. cos its alot of self study.. lik researchin.. not just.. "read page so and so of XYZ text book" its pretti hard when u 1st start.. like formulating questions about a disease.. about wat u dun understand.. etc.. talking about psychological, physiological, pathological. etc.. and get a topic done in under 100hrs.. its tiring..

UWA recommands that u study 1 hour for every contact hour a week.. so u would be studying 28 hrs.. im not.. i do about 15-25 hrs depending on the topics difficulty

umm this would be lik at adel, Usyd and newcastle.. very similar courses..
Unsw would be slightly different.. they only hav 60% of contact hours comparatively..

Last edited:

jang

is not my real name
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
*shrug*
i hav 5 day week..
about 28hrs.. and it is mostly tuts (think: u hav to hav 90% attendence or they can choose to fail u) so u hav to attend.. very diificult to jig them.. (reqs u to fake doctors certs.. problem is.. ppl at the med school are doctors who check.. if they know a name.. :( )..

ummm study is complicated .. cos its alot of self study.. lik researchin.. not just.. "read page so and so of XYZ text book" its pretti hard when u 1st start.. like formulating questions about a disease.. about wat u dun understand.. etc.. talking about psychological, physiological, pathological. etc.. and get a topic done in under 100hrs.. its tiring..

UWA recommands that u study 1 hour for every contact hour a week.. so u would be studying 28 hrs.. im not.. i do about 15-25 hrs depending on the topics difficulty

umm this would be lik at adel, Usyd and newcastle.. very similar courses..
Unsw would be slightly different.. they only hav 60% of contact hours comparatively..

wow.... thanks for the reply...
this is some hardcore course

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes. If you think the HSC is hardcore, go to uni and they will laugh at you. We get HSC twice a year, every year.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well pretti much all courses are lik that..

i just think ppl jsut dun kno..
i sleep lik 5 hrs a night on average.. esp if there are assignments..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
jang said:
YIKES... so.......is there time to work at coles?
umm i use to work 10-15 hrs a week.. lik fri.. 5-9.. then Sat.. 9-5 then sun 10-4
at myers....

umm if i did night fill in adelaide at coles.. id be doing 8am -4pm then 9pm till 2 am.. for work..

umm id say yes.. but lik stick with under 20 hrs of work... i workin NSW now.. not SA.. its jsut more time for me.. btw caffeine is my friend :S

jang

is not my real name
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
umm i use to work 10-15 hrs a week.. lik fri.. 5-9.. then Sat.. 9-5 then sun 10-4
at myers....

umm if i did night fill in adelaide at coles.. id be doing 8am -4pm then 9pm till 2 am.. for work..

umm id say yes.. but lik stick with under 20 hrs of work... i workin NSW now.. not SA.. its jsut more time for me.. btw caffeine is my friend :S
ahh ur a busy man....
yes i see ur sleeping patterns are similar to mine

tech.knockout

HSC
Anyone worrying about stress levels of doing medicine should look more at the life of registrars/registers. That stage of the game is where the stress levels peak, there are some horror stories of people working insane hours. (around 80 hour weeks) Things usually get much better when you obtain ur 'fellowship' and become a full fledged doctor in whatever specialty you've chosen.

Oh and hi jang. Its Karonny

You persuing medicine or are you just curious?

Last edited:

jang

is not my real name
HSC
karonny fok? mr stiff? shit man.. long time i havnt heard from u.
mate hush hush in here bout my real name.
ppl'll come bash me in my shack

yeh i am curious man. but i am also hoping to become a doctor.
i kno the life of a doc is hardcore stress.. but i stil want to enjoy my youthful days

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
50 is the std week.. for interns..
but u got to do mandatory overtime.. but it was std practise to do lik 100 hrs in some places..

my sleep patterns only changed in Uni..
when i was in high school i bitched bout 7hrs of sleep.. now its less.. esp if u want an inkling of a social life

jang

is not my real name
HSC
100 hours? wow.. harshness

man... i love my sleep... do u reckn living near the uni be heaps bonus for time saving?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well yes .. it helps.. especialli if ure like me.. and forget lab coats and clinic cloths.. u just run home and grab them .. i lived 20mins by walk to the uni.. but im moving further out now that im use to living on my own..

living close to uni.. also means u end up hanging out heaps and wasting time lolz

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
he makes a good point, but at the same time, I spent 2 hrs a day driving for uni last year, and it made it hard...like, I know people have a lot greater commuting times, but they are generally done on a train or something, so at least reading or something can be done in that time, whereas coz I was driving, it was 2 completely lost hrs per day.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lolz not at monash...the only place to waste time...cloes+bilo supermarket...ClubX (for those so inclined), campus pool hall, library....yay joy!

tech.knockout

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
50 is the std week.. for interns..
but u got to do mandatory overtime.. but it was std practise to do lik 100 hrs in some places..
my sleep patterns only changed in Uni..
when i was in high school i bitched bout 7hrs of sleep.. now its less.. esp if u want an inkling of a social life
For many med students I dont think its as bad as you word it. I wont survive on constant 5 hrs sleep. People have been saying the same thing about the HSC year. I managed to pull through with relatively little study. The jump from yr10 to yr11 is probably the same as the jump from HSC to uni. It depends on the person, and I guess its particularly harder for you because you are living away from home(I think) and perhaps you are a more hardworking sort of person.

If the standard practise of hours becomes insane and exceeds your physical/mental limit, i would think you have every right to refuse to work that much on the grounds that it would compromise the health of you and the patient.

And jang, I edited out the name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)