The legitimacy of depression as an illness. (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I am getting fairly apathetic in my old age. I used to get emotionally charged when having a bad day, or when dealing with morons ... It doesn't register now.

I had a teary on Monday though. I've been working full time for the last month and studying 4 subjects, and Nick didn't sleep Saturday and Sunday night and his dad was away for work till Wednesday. Got to mid Monday at work and I had a spack attack and burst into tears. Went home and had a nap, it was amazing.

/end life story.

The Lozzzy

HSC
Its a real deal, but it frustrates me how some people use the term willy nilly, when tehre are people out there really suffereing i mean seriously, i had depression, and nothin bugs me more than someone saying the they are depressed when they are just having one bad day. Depresion is something people suffer through every day its not just a once off thing, its everyday!

mmm, yes thats abuot it

truestar92

HSC
Its a real deal, but it frustrates me how some people use the term willy nilly, when tehre are people out there really suffereing i mean seriously, i had depression, and nothin bugs me more than someone saying the they are depressed when they are just having one bad day. Depresion is something people suffer through every day its not just a once off thing, its everyday!

mmm, yes thats abuot it
I agree (i think the term is overused way too much) I think depression is an illness but i do think that it is hard to diagnose someone with it I can relate as I had it too and im still recovering its very hard to come out of especially when you feel alone

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
There are happy people. There are manic people.
There are sad people. There are depressed people.

Behaviourally, the distinction is not easy to observe. IMO, calling anything an illness detaches the problem. It becomes a virus or an engineering mistake. IMO, meds and treatment should be given out before a label. Better to tell someone they're a bit down and that some meds might cheer 'em up then to attach a brain disease to their name for life. Better to think "I'm sad today" than "My depression is coming back".

The label of depression should be given as a last resort- mostly to those with clear serotonin level deficiency's or damaged receptors.

If everyone on BOS was given a DASS or alternative psychometric test today .. pharmaceutical dreams! Tick yes to "I had a couple of sad thoughts in the past 6 months" and you "may have symptoms consistent with depression". Now you have something on your mind.
Love Jezzmo.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
There are happy people. There are manic people.
There are sad people. There are depressed people.

Behaviourally, the distinction is not easy to observe. IMO, calling anything an illness detaches the problem. It becomes a virus or an engineering mistake. IMO, meds and treatment should be given out before a label. Better to tell someone they're a bit down and that some meds might cheer 'em up then to attach a brain disease to their name for life. Better to think "I'm sad today" than "My depression is coming back".

The label of depression should be given as a last resort- mostly to those with clear serotonin level deficiency's or damaged receptors.

If everyone on BOS was given a DASS or alternative psychometric test today .. pharmaceutical dreams! Tick yes to "I had a couple of sad thoughts in the past 6 months" and you "may have symptoms consistent with depression". Now you have something on your mind.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jezzmo again.

:(

HSC
To be honest i dont get down at all really. If im having a shit day i dont get sad or whatever about it, i might get angry of annoyed but not down on myself. I dont know, i worry a lot (99% about money lol im constantly doing calculations of how much i have left how much i need etc) but then i just think about how it could be worse etc.

tessbd

HSC
Do you believe in the existence of depression or simply in the weakness of those who claim to suffer from it.

I'm not saying that everyone who is out there is faking it, but i have found personally that for most people labeling themselves as having depression it's just an easy way out of a difficult situation, an excuse.

I suppose what most gets me about it is that there aren't in most cases any physical symptoms, so it makes it hard for me personally to believe in it as an actual illness rather than just the weakness of certain individuals (in most cases).

What are your personal views on this?

I have depression, and yeah, i'm sick of people using it as an excuse as an illness.

In its worst stages, I literally could not bring myself to lift an arm, my whole perception was screwed up, and my immune system took a few years off.

It's hard to define, and yes it differs, but REAL depression can almost, in my opinion, but classified as a purely physical disablility.
But yes, those arses who claim they've been 'sad' for 2 wks means they're depression should try actually being ill for a few days.

Ashabella

HSC
I have depression, and yeah, i'm sick of people using it as an excuse as an illness.

In its worst stages, I literally could not bring myself to lift an arm, my whole perception was screwed up, and my immune system took a few years off.

It's hard to define, and yes it differs, but REAL depression can almost, in my opinion, but classified as a purely physical disablility.
But yes, those arses who claim they've been 'sad' for 2 wks means they're depression should try actually being ill for a few days.
Totally understand the feeling of not being able to lift an arm. Man, I thought I was literally insane until you just said that. haha

I hope you reach recovery soon. Keep at it. xo

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
I get extremely frustrated when people go 'oh yes I have depression' and just self diagnose and claim it.
I hate the label I don't see why anyone else would want it without having proper doagnosis and treatment.
I have been labelled with three 'mental illnesses' which are from external factors not just the HSC. I get told to exercise and that will improve my mental health a little too but I have severe back injuries which prevent me from doing so, and therefore i'm not improving a whole lot.
It shouldn't be used as an excuse. I haven't asked for special provisions for them, even though I probably should, but I don't feel its particularly necessary.

I think the main thing people need to remember is that there is a huge difference between feeling blue or down about your workload and not meeting expectations, than having an actual mental illness, and you can't simply just go 'oh yeah I have depression' whenever you feel like crying, like so many people (especially girls) I know do.

jmgoldie

HSC
Anybody who thinks that depression is something you can 'get over' and that you need to 'harden the fuck up' is ignorant as hell. Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain, it is an illness. Telling someone with depression to get over it is like telling someone with asthma to get over it, or someone with diabetes to get over it. The lack of compassion some of you people have makes me sick to my stomach.

boris

Banned
HSC
Anybody who thinks that depression is something you can 'get over' and that you need to 'harden the fuck up' is ignorant as hell. Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain, it is an illness. Telling someone with depression to get over it is like telling someone with asthma to get over it, or someone with diabetes to get over it. The lack of compassion some of you people have makes me sick to my stomach.
I tell people with athsma and diabetes to get over it all the time. Especially if it is caused through their own actions. ie fat people with diabetes from being fat, smokers with athsma. Makes me feel great about myself really. Therefore why should i make allowances for people with depression when it is caused by their own actions? ie being shit at life etc (you know what i mean).

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I was watching some clips related to the psychiatrist/philosopher R. D. Laing (<3) and thought that this one was worth sharing. It only just touches the surface of the relevant issues but it is interesting nonetheless.

R. D. Laing on the Politics of Psychology

Natendo

HSC
Faggots need to go back to the Great Depression and eat rabbit for breakfast, lunch, dinner and live in a milk crate.

Then tell me you've got depression.
Please.

I know you were taking the piss but..
I think centuries of anecdotes would suggest that depression doesn't discriminate. Just as living in poverty doesn't guarantee that you will definitely develop a mental illness, living in a comparatively developed, 'comfortable' situation where you have a stable nuclear family and food on your table doesn't guarantee your happiness.
If that was the case, then trends would show levels of depression only in people falling in the lowest socio-economic brackets.
It is your pattern of thought (thus neurological factors) that determine your perception of experiences.

I tell people with athsma and diabetes to get over it all the time. Especially if it is caused through their own actions. ie fat people with diabetes from being fat, smokers with athsma. Makes me feel great about myself really. Therefore why should i make allowances for people with depression when it is caused by their own actions? ie being shit at life etc (you know what i mean).
This is quite a superficial argument. You're saying people just over-eat and smokers just smoke. As if to condemn people who may be labeled as either, as wanting to commit themselves to suffer adverse consequences. And also to say that this is the only reason why someone would want to do either.
Could it be possible that maybe people 'stuff their faces' and engage in habitual activities niave to their own harm, in order to deal with other things in their lives?
I don't call this being shit at life. I call this not having efficient coping mechanisms.

What I consider being shit at life is complaining and presenting non-helpful arguments about illnesses that more than likely currently affect or will affect many people in your life. Dick's like you tell people to 'stop complaining' and condemn the victim as the perpetrator (when their is neither), ultimately perpetuating the gross stigma surrounding mental illness, meaning people feel embarrassed to get help.
To that end, I have never met a depressed or obese person who has complained about having their illness. I've only ever heard them complain when they've tried and failed on numerous accounts to get better. At this point, they need encouragement. You tell a person in recovery to stop complaining, or even give the slightest hint, and you send them back to square one. The person doing the complaining about the obese or depressed person complaining, should take responsibility of their contribution to the illness.

boris

Banned
HSC
Please.

I know you were taking the piss but..
I think centuries of anecdotes would suggest that depression doesn't discriminate. Just as living in poverty doesn't guarantee that you will definitely develop a mental illness, living in a comparatively developed, 'comfortable' situation where you have a stable nuclear family and food on your table doesn't guarantee your happiness.
If that was the case, then trends would show levels of depression only in people falling in the lowest socio-economic brackets.
It is your pattern of thought (thus neurological factors) that determine your perception of experiences.

This is quite a superficial argument. You're saying people just over-eat and smokers just smoke. As if to condemn people who may be labeled as either, as wanting to commit themselves to suffer adverse consequences. And also to say that this is the only reason why someone would want to do either.
Could it be possible that maybe people 'stuff their faces' and engage in habitual activities niave to their own harm, in order to deal with other things in their lives?
I don't call this being shit at life. I call this not having efficient coping mechanisms.

What I consider being shit at life is complaining and presenting non-helpful arguments about illnesses that more than likely currently affect or will affect many people in your life. Dick's like you tell people to 'stop complaining' and condemn the victim as the perpetrator (when their is neither), ultimately perpetuating the gross stigma surrounding mental illness, meaning people feel embarrassed to get help.
To that end, I have never met a depressed or obese person who has complained about having their illness. I've only ever heard them complain when they've tried and failed on numerous accounts to get better. At this point, they need encouragement. You tell a person in recovery to stop complaining, or even give the slightest hint, and you send them back to square one. The person doing the complaining about the obese or depressed person complaining, should take responsibility of their contribution to the illness.
woosh

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Please.

If that was the case, then trends would show levels of depression only in people falling in the lowest socio-economic brackets. It is your pattern of thought (thus neurological factors) that determine your perception of experiences.
I don't think anyone claimed that low socioeconomic status (SES) is the only cause of depression. However, it is reasonable to suggest that it plays a role, in which case the trend one would expect is a greater proportion of depressed individuals in the low SES demographic. In fact, this is exactly what is observed (see studies here, and here).

The direction of causation remains somewhat unclear (does low SES cause depression, or vice versa?) but the data nonetheless make an argument in favour of saying that depression does in fact discriminate.

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
I tell people with athsma and diabetes to get over it all the time. Especially if it is caused through their own actions. ie fat people with diabetes from being fat, smokers with athsma. Makes me feel great about myself really. Therefore why should i make allowances for people with depression when it is caused by their own actions? ie being shit at life etc (you know what i mean).[/quote]

No I don't know what you mean.
Go on, tell me that being sexually abused by my older brother and having a heroin addict as a father and watching my auntie die on my front lawn from an overdose and having my best friend commit suicide is all my fault, and I am simply being shit at life.

You are absolutely pathetic.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I recognise depression as an illness and some people live with the burden of it. However my sympathy only extends to people who know and take steps to deal with it, or try to the best of their ability to get through it.

There are people who say they're depressed and refuse to seek help. These people I cannot feel for.

There are people who feel sad but don't say anything about it, this affects their view of the world and how they end up interacting with people. These people need help, first to recognise there is a problem (this is a problem in itself, some people have insecurities about admitting they have problems), second to seek help (GP or otherwise), third to consistently apply the skills taught to them to deal with it.

I do not subscribe to the idea that medicines will solve your problems. They will put them away for a while, but from my studies I understand they usually have a high relapse rate. Having the skills to deal with your problems is a 'medicine' that you will always carry with you, and as time goes by its effect becomes more and more permanent until you become a functional member of society.

E

Empyrean444

I recognise depression as an illness and some people live with the burden of it. However my sympathy only extends to people who know and take steps to deal with it, or try to the best of their ability to get through it.

There are people who say they're depressed and refuse to seek help. These people I cannot feel for.
But what if the person in question is in no state of mind to go and get help? What if their irrationality is a result of (or at least partly exacerbated by) their depression itself? And, for instance, can you really blame someone who refuses to get help because they are afraid/ashamed?

There are people who feel sad but don't say anything about it, this affects their view of the world and how they end up interacting with people. These people need help, first to recognise there is a problem (this is a problem in itself, some people have insecurities about admitting they have problems), second to seek help (GP or otherwise), third to consistently apply the skills taught to them to deal with it.

I do not subscribe to the idea that medicines will solve your problems. They will put them away for a while, but from my studies I understand they usually have a high relapse rate. Having the skills to deal with your problems is a 'medicine' that you will always carry with you, and as time goes by its effect becomes more and more permanent until you become a functional member of society.
But medicine is essential nonetheless (even if it is not a 'complete cure'). Major problems start to emerge when people decide to take themselves off the medication. The skills you mention are certainly a necessity, but I'm not sure they're any surer guarantee.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
But what if the person in question is in no state of mind to go and get help? What if their irrationality is a result of (or at least partly exacerbated by) their depression itself? And, for instance, can you really blame someone who refuses to get help because they are afraid/ashamed?
I have known people who are like this. I believe that social responsibility should step in if things become dangerous (ie a friend notices another friend is contemplating suicide). Calling authorities/depression lines for help is the best step to take. Its always hardest to take the first step, but once the initial hurdle is overcome people will get better.

But medicine is essential nonetheless (even if it is not a 'complete cure'). Major problems start to emerge when people decide to take themselves off the medication. The skills you mention are certainly a necessity, but I'm not sure they're any surer guarantee.
I agree that meds will help to a certain degree, but the longer you rely on meds , the more dependent you become on them (increase in safety seeking behaviors). This makes it harder in the long run to make a full recovery.

If the patient is under a serious amount of depression, meds will help alleviate some of the problem. The patient should then be systematically weaned off the meds as they undergo therapy and counselling.

boris

Banned
HSC
I tell people with athsma and diabetes to get over it all the time. Especially if it is caused through their own actions. ie fat people with diabetes from being fat, smokers with athsma. Makes me feel great about myself really. Therefore why should i make allowances for people with depression when it is caused by their own actions? ie being shit at life etc (you know what i mean).[/quote]

No I don't know what you mean.
Go on, tell me that being sexually abused by my older brother and having a heroin addict as a father and watching my auntie die on my front lawn from an overdose and having my best friend commit suicide is all my fault, and I am simply being shit at life.

You are absolutely pathetic.
Its all your fault?

Edit: lol i didnt even see that either snowfox. Good point.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)