The Lazseeker (1 Viewer)

hyaku666

>>Let's take extension 2 math for example, 37.5% of the canditure got >= 90%, that's around 900 people. This is supposed to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest course<<

Ext2 and the other extensions, are very obviously not 'scored' in the same way as most (i.e. 2u) courses. There's absolutely no way over a third of candidates would score over 90%, ask anyone who's sitting the exam. That's the range I scored in and there's absolutely no way that's what my raw score was, no way in a million years.

The extension courses are obviously moderated in some way that is between completely raw and completely moderated. They're another thing that shows the flaws in the system.

>>May I ask what kind of marks and UAI you got last year ? The people who did poorly, or not as well as they hoped to like to blame the 'new' HSC for their results when every other student was in the same boat. <<

I was wondering when you might accuse me of bias. My marks and UAI were good enough that I'm definitely not 'blaming' the system for anything. I did very well out of the system. But I recognise that, with ANY system, some people will get a slightly rawer deal than others -- and some people will get a slight advantage. With the new HSC, it's a slightly different set of people.

>>Afaik, linux doesn't receive any criticism except 'it's too hard to use', which shows a lack of intellect from the person. All MS users who bash it lack the intellect to use linux too. Any fair criticism of linux would come from linux developers themselves, who are deeply involved in it. <<

Well, that's your opinion, but it avoids the question of whether such criticism, if it existed, would actually be valid.

>>As for criticising charities, why would anyone criticise them ? Good on them for doing such a thing, I know I sure as hell wouldn't. <<

That's a pretty black and white POV. Just because they're aiming for good, everything they do is automatically unquestionably for the better? People's interpretation of "good" and "better" is open to interpretation. What about, for example, western charities trying to force technological advancement on traditional societies in a third-world country. They might want to have no part of it, although it's OUR definition of progress. Such criticism has to be valid.

Any part of society that is exempt from criticism and scrutiny gains power over democracy, as far as I can see. It seems to me that if we truly want things to be for the best, we have to question everything to aim for it.

If you would like to continue this I suggest you email me - Brianna@masheo.com - as I doubt this is still an appropriate forum...

Cheers,
Brianna

Lee

my gosh...what has happeneed here!!!started off with a few comments on lazseeker and end up ranting on about third-world countries and charities!!!

obviously there are some different views on lazseeker and so be it!...there is no use arguing against something that con not be proven either way so what ever your view is keep it and let other keep theirs.

Morgues

I do think she got band 6 in IPT so these complaints aren't exactly due to the HSC treating her badly personally

Some of the complaints are very valid so she isnt just 'whinging'

Sarah

HSC
N/A
i don't think lazseeker would be very accurate for this yrs hsc cos it really depends on how everyone goes.

and also, in estimating your uai, well u could be going to a school which sets hard assessments or easy asssessments or marks really harshly or easy. also, it doesn't take into account how your school will go coz i know some ppl who did the hsc last yr and who were getting school marks in the 60's but in the actual hsc their marks went up to mid 70's and 80's.

basically, i think it would be very hard to predict the uai.

hyaku666

Firstly, to Lee:
Everyone can keep their own opinion, I don't mind. But to disallow arguments on subjective issues is only a recipe for boredom. :)

Not that I would then conclude that this is interesting. Choose your own reading material, eh...

To Bon:

>>I doubt that marks would be awarded in different ways between different courses. It depends on the canditature sitting the course too. I'd say well over 95% of the canditure in IPT are average or below average students, while the people sitting extension 2 math are the smartest students in the state. <<

That's got absolutely nothing to do with it. It's undisputable that the extension course marks are moderated in some way. 1/3 of Ext2 candidates do *not* score makrs that would place them in band 6. Talk to people who sit it, ask them how likely that is. Ask your teachers.

Re: Linux critcism
>>I don't think the criticism is valild. It's an alternative to M$, it's also FREE, all the software is free, it's stable - doesn't have you rebooting every 5 min, I dare say the server which is hosting this board is running some form of *nix. What fair criticism is there ?<<

You're confusing "correct" criticism with "valid" critcism. I am saying that criticism of Linux is valid, whether it is correct or not. Perhaps there is no criticism of it which is "correct" -- which attacks it, and cannot be responded to. But that's all subjective. You're using the arguments of one of the sides of the fight, to justify the fight's existence. You need to step above, or outside, the issues, and question whether they should basically be allowed to be asked. That's the question of validity - are we entitled to ask questions about it?

>> Why do I have the right to criticise a charity, whether it's method of trying to raise funds is good, or bad ? I'm the one who's sitting on my arse, killing time, I won't even do so much as lift a finger to help a charity raise money, except maybe make a donation, buy a ticket, etc. and I know a lot of other people won't do much more than this. Do you really think it's fair to criticise ?<<

Yes! I think it's VALID to criticise them. I'm not say anything about the correctness of any of the attacks, though! Don't confuse the two.

Should we be allowed to question the actions of charities? Yes. Does that mean they will be found wanting? Of course not.

As I said before, the way our society exists, it would unbalance and unstabilise it, to start "not allowing" questions to be asked of certain institutions. This is my central point which you haven't answered.

So: If everything (public) and everyone (adult) is not allowed to be questioned, then can you please give me a list of the things/people that are on the exemption list? And can you give an objective list of reasons why? Because people are going to argue the case of unfairness, if some things can be criticised and some things can't (even Linux). So the only way you'll please everyone is to provide this complete, objective list -- or to allow criticism of everything.

What do you say?

Cheers,
Brianna

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
rofl!

And Sarah - there are specific instructions on the LazSeeker site stating that the marks entered are to be estimated HSC marks and not raw school assessment marks. Any 'good' teacher should be able to make a reasonable guesstimate as to the final HSC mark a student will receive, as they are assigned on the basis of individual student performance and not in comparison to the rest of the state.

It is, of course, always difficult to predict something that you literally have no data about. It's analogous to predicting the behaviour of the stock market according to past highs and lows. It's difficult, it's complex, it's based on probabilities - but that doesn't make it impossible. In my personal opinion, I don't think that UAIs for 2002 will vary too much from 2001. In the upper range (i.e. 90+), you often need fifteen or twenty marks to go up by a single UAI point, and even more towards the top of the range. There's therefore a thirty or forty mark error margin surrounding any of the UAIs in that range, which should be enough to prevent the predicted 2002 UAI from varying more than one point above or below the calculated 2001 UAI.

Unfortunately that system falls down around the UAI 'average' (which is about 65) - at that point, an extra fifteen marks could mean an increase in the UAI by five points. If LazSeeker is giving you UAIs in the 90+ range, chances are the real thing won't be too far from it. And keep in mind that there was a scaling 'anomaly' with Maths Ext 2 last year where students undertaking the course had their Ext 1 mark bumped up a little too much. If you're doing Maths Ext 2 and want the prediction to be as accurate as possible, try estimating your Ext 1 mark a little lower than you normally would.

Having said that, don't worry too much about what UAI you may or may not be destined for. Doing your utmost and putting in the hard yards now will most certainly pay off in the oh-so-sweet end. :)

hyaku666

Yeh, you're not wrong MinAi! :)

Laz has the most salient points in this whole thread. :)

Brianna

AGB

HSC
this is an old post to dig up......

notice earlier on (i think on the first page) in the thread the post that said "its a hell of a lot more accurate than ozseek" hahaha a bit ironic now dont u think......

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by AGB
this is an old post to dig up......

notice earlier on (i think on the first page) in the thread the post that said "its a hell of a lot more accurate than ozseek" hahaha a bit ironic now dont u think......
yes, but back then ozseek WAS crap!
now that Lazarus himself is running the ozseek program, now called UAI seeker, u kno its accurate!
its based on either 2001 and 2002 scaling

edit: how fun was this topic, hyaku vs Bon...I remember this well

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yeah i had to dig it up.

to show how much I appreciate BOS...

by going thru the back archives:p

AGB

HSC
hyaku vs Bon?????? what was that all about

im too lazy to go back and read all of the thread......

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AGB
hyaku vs Bon?????? what was that all about

im too lazy to go back and read all of the thread......
Don't worry. Bon has left. And the argument has long finished. :p

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

Don't worry. Bon has left. And the argument has long finished. :p
why did bon leave??? wasnt he/she a moderator???

sorry if that was a question that has already been answered or wasnt supposed to be asked.......

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AGB
why did bon leave??? wasnt he/she a moderator???
Yes. He was a moderator. And a moderator of the Non-School forums. And the NS-forum was such a mess than he didn't want to waste his time on moderating it. So he left.

Or has he ... :rofl:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
last time he was on the forums, he was a bit inebriated

AGB

HSC
inebriated????? duznt that mean drunk??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)