The Ivory Trail - help (1 Viewer)

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
Hey, Victor Kelleher has nothing to do with the book cover, so can someone please tell me who created it. Or should we just refer to it as 'Penguin Publishing'?

And do you think this paragraph (which was found in resource section) is any good?

The inner travelling is a part of a physical journey within ‘The Ivory Trail’. The composer uses the images of the sphinx, pyramids and Islamic type architecture to suggest physical movement. The inner journey of the protagonist (presumably the young male pictured) is symbolised in the patterns of the sand (shifting sands symbolising change) and the use of a rich, golden colour palette. This autumn-like colour gives a feel of change. The purple glow from the protagonist’s left eye gives an idea of a great passion possessed by this boy.
The use of the motif of death and dying is present in ‘The Ivory Trail’. Death is seen as an important part of the inner journey. It can be said that death conditions life. The longest journey, on which one will go after all, is that of life.
In the visual text, The Ivory Trail, the composer uses the technique of colour to express death. From left to right across the top of the image, the colours grade from a light yellow sunset to a black night sky. This coupled with the enigmatic by-line “Not all journeys have an ending”, gives the responder the impression that this text will possess themes of death and dying. This statement also suggests that the life journey does not conclude at death, hinting at references to an afterlife and therefore spiritual themes.

Last edited:

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
Sorry, my bad, this should be in 'Stimulus Booklet' forum.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
the stimulus booklet states that the text is by Victor Kelleher, so state that.

the paragraph seems ok, but in my opinion there isn't enough on specific techniques, like the background, mid-ground and foreground. You might want to discuss that and the effect. for example, the use of the islamic type archietecture in the background suggests the past in a time before the journey. With the eyes raise towards the sphinx, this suggests that it will be the beginning of a new journey.

or something like that.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
the paragraph is pretty good, but my main concern with it is that it hardly touches on the concept of journey. It's got a good, brief analysis of the techniques used but doesn't explain what this has to do with journey and how this represents the idea of the journey. As a result it's useless for tomorrow's exam unless you can link it all back to the journey.

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
yeh thats what i was thinking.....any ideas on how i could link it back to inner journeys?

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
hmm...I do imaginative so not sure about inner. Just off the top of my head, the by-line "not all journeys have an ending" is a good opening to talk about inner journeys because it suggests that an inner journey has lasting spiritual effects which continue to develop. An inner journey is not stagnant, with a staring point and ending point, but rather runs deeper and more permanently, in altering the values, beliefs, etc of the journey-taker.

You could possible talk about the monuments as symbols, linking them to inner journey because they suggest exposure to a new culture and foreign land, which could be catalysts for inner journeys.

The paragraph's comment on the "shifting sands" is a good one, I'd develop that. But I don't think the death idea is a very good one, it's a bit dubious and not very convincing.

Sorry I can't really help, don't know much about inner journeys.

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
ok, wat makes this an imaginative journey? i just wanna make sure im on the right track

neuro_logik

HSC
Imaginative
-Shadow and Lighting = Mystery about an imaginative journey.
-Contrast between the young face and the sphinx = IJ takes time
-Waves of sand = sands of time.
-"Ivory Trail" = Path of growth and the broadening of understanding
-"Not all journeys have an ending" = Limit of the IJ is one's imagination

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
Thanks heaps for the help Gemita

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)