The Football Thread (3 Viewers)

veridis

droog
HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

IMO where they host it will depend on who makes it. if SFC fluke though it'll be ANZ, if Qld make it then SFS, CCM v Jets is a bit harder to guess, depends on what crowd they think they can get.
i'm not quite sure what you're gettin g at with SFS hosting it anyway, sure there is a possible home advantage for SFC but SFC is the one team that wont be playing a GF at SFS.
the FFA wants big crowds and is willing to screw week in week out supporters in order to increase the bandwagon, it's something we're all gonig to have to get used to until the clubs get big enough to put some pressure on the FFA.

sk1001

HSC

veridis said:
IMO where they host it will depend on who makes it. if SFC fluke though it'll be ANZ, if Qld make it then SFS, CCM v Jets is a bit harder to guess, depends on what crowd they think they can get.
i'm not quite sure what you're gettin g at with SFS hosting it anyway, sure there is a possible home advantage for SFC but SFC is the one team that wont be playing a GF at SFS.
the FFA wants big crowds and is willing to screw week in week out supporters in order to increase the bandwagon, it's something we're all gonig to have to get used to until the clubs get big enough to put some pressure on the FFA.
Yeah, i'll beleive it when I see it.

As for increasing the bandwagon? Will only happen if Sydney is playing. Even a couple hours by car will put off fans. A-League support bar Melbourne is fickle. Round 21, with the title to be won, Central Coast attracted less than 10,000 because of rain.

veridis

droog
HSC

SFC sold out SFS for the v1 GF, sold out ANZ for the beckham game, given ANZ is cheaper to hire than SFS there is no way FFA wouldn't chase the dollars and put an SFC GF at ANZ.
you really are blind aren't you, FFA's chasing the bandwagon isn't just the grand final, as i've said(and you've ignored) many times FFA was quite happy to tell SFC no you have to play first leg at home because we want suncorp available for the roar game. if adelaide get a grand final it would almost certainly be moves to AAMI or the oval, if perth had one i would expect it at subi. ffa knows finals can get big crowds, and that is their priority above all else.
FFA also knows that they can fit in a couple thousand more of their corporate friends in SFS or ANZ than they could at EAS or bluetongue. you're right in saying that a lot of the bandwagon is in sydney, but that couple of thousand corporate bandwagon will turn up no matter who's playing.

sk1001

HSC

Like I've already said twice. I beleive the GF should be at EA or bluetongue, but we are past that stage. FFA has made their decision.

You've said it yourself, all logical reasoning points to ANZ stadium hosting the GF. I await an announcement from the FFA.

veridis

droog
HSC

logic points to hosting a Jets v Roar grand final at ANZ? i think not.

here's a good post from a jets fan on the sydney forums

[quote author=jetsfan date=1201682786]
[quote author=CN date=1201660182]
Has anyone else noticed on George Perry's email (11/1/08) that grand final tickets will go on sale to members of the 1st team to qualify (14th Feb) before the 2nd team is known (17th Feb).

Does anyone know how this will work? It means the FFA need to decide the venue before they know if Sydney qualify. And will they keep aside one side of the venue for members of the 2nd team to buy on the 18th?

Or does anyone know if they have changed the timing of the sale of tickets now that the GF is definitely in Sydney?
[/quote]

As soon as the result of you guys vs QLD next friday is decided, the FFA will know the location of the grandfinal.

Either jets or mariners fans will have an opportunity to purchase tickets the day after their game so the FFA have to have a location by then.

If Queensland qualify over Sydney they will book the SFS. This way if QLD make the grandfinal there will be 25000 (jets or mariners fans), 5000 QLD fans and 10k neutrals from Sydney. This will fill up the 40k venue.

If Sydney qualify over QLD ANZ will be booked and i reckon if sydney can make the grandfinal we will be looking at a full house of 80k. If its Jets and Mariners in the grandfinal I reckon a crowd of 60k isn't out of the question.

Also if QLD do qualify over Sydney and then lose to jets or mariners in the preliminary, SFS will be full without relying on Neutrals from Sydney.

IMO if QLD win next friday the FFA can't book ANZ because a QLD vs (jets or mariners) grandfinal would be lucky to get 40k and the ground would only be half full. Would not be a good look.
[/quote]

the FFA want to look good, that means a big crowd in a big stadium, just which stadium depends of the potential drawing power of the possible grand finalists.

Zrap

glock9
HSC

Newcastle Jets are going to win!

sk1001

HSC

My statements are made regarding Sydney FC making the final. If it's a non-Sydney final, I couldn't give a flying fuck about the location. I just think it's unjust that Sydney could hosting a home GF, something they do not deserve.

veridis

droog
HSC

in that case i completely agree, given the reasons FFA are using for having the GF moved, if SFC make it ANZ should be the only location considered.

ZaraKu

HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
copied from another forum:

The erratic and unprecedented behaviour of the FFA.

this is not solely a rant about the Jets but it is something that I would like you to all read.The corrupt and injust practices of the FFA have now reached draconian proportions!!I am sure that regardless of your loyalties,when you read this you will share my concern about the future of football in this country and the route FFA is taking.COmplain and you will have numerous obstacles put in your way.

1.Last night at EAS, the squadron and Newcastle fans were physically prevented from taking ANY banners that were anti-FFA.Any banners that made fun of the Mariners were also confiscated.Banners of certain dimensions were also confiscated, as was the famous GODVIC banner,which was outlawed by FFA because it may insult the religiously inclined.What has happened to the FFA? They know that the fans are FURIOUS and now remove our freedom to dissent?? This is not on.

2.The FFA reportedly cut ABC Newcastle's broadcast of the game off MID-AIR because of royalties etc.However the Coast FM broadcast remained undisturbed.What is THAT all about?Some of us live overseas and that is the only way we can tune in.Where is the justice in that,I ask you?How can the FFA stop one broadcast and not another?

3.Ticket sales for the game..the number of patrons quoted on TV was,to anyone's eyes INCORRECT by a country mile.On both the Mariner's and Jets forums there were people saying that security was waving people through and not scanning tickets,and that the executive boxes were not included in the tally.Everyone who watched the game was adamant that there was not a spare seat in the stadium.Why are Newcastle crowds always understated? to support the FFA's removal of our rights to a home grand-final.

4.Why does the Jets have to suffer Matthew Breeze and his refereeing NINE times this season? When Mark Shield is supposed to ref the major game of the round,that suddenly changed this week.WHY???
I am sure the Mariner's fans are quite irate.

Something is wrong here folks.What is this FFA? A bunch of fascists.
Every time we try to take a step forward the FFA pushes us back.The people of the Hunter Valley are sick of this offhand, second-class treatment.

I fully believe that FFA are doing their best to prevent Newcastle from winning the Grand Final.I expect a lot of Newcastle players to be punished and maybe Joel even being sent off to allow FFA to place their sponsored team in THEIR stadium for the Grand-Final.

This isn't a rant about other clubs..good luck to whoever makes it...but just look at what the FFA does,they are no better than soccer Australia.They are petrified that people will actually call them out on it.Well..we will!!! You can take away our banners but you WON'T shut us up.

The FFA is watching you.
Your kidding me! FFA has no right banning banners brought in by Squadron members, they've never been racist, illegal or extremely discriminating at all so I don't see their problem, except their puffed up old geezers who have no care for the REAL suuporters of the game and clubs... I'm in the squadron myself but wasn't at the game (mum hates driving me in and I don't have my P's yet... I live an hour away from EAS.) and that's just wrong. They're prob only doing it cause of the few times Squadron members have been in hot water for throwing stuff at opposition players and being too drunk and stuuf like that.

And as for Breeze refing, everyone knows he's biased against the Jets, that's just idiocy puuting him in charge of big games like finals and grand finals...

Point is, the Jets have the support of not just a whole city but a whole region, and no-one will take this crap from FFA at all, I wouldn't be surprised if fans do some kind of boycott like cricket fans were apparently going to do for last night's 20/20 match, Newcastle and the Hunter will not stand for this at all.

I'd say FFA's definately on notice...:mad:

sk1001

HSC

Get used to it mate. Telstra dome have been tight regarding pole lengths and sizes. I've also had problems with Hindmarsh because I did not email them a picture so they could authorize it beforehand and put it on their "allow" list to distribute to security.

sk1001

HSC

Another one bites the dust.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

Woooooo fuckin hooooooo!

Central Coast into GF!

Anyone know when tickets to the GF go on sale? They aren't available on Ticketek yet.

veridis

droog
HSC

there was meant to be an announcement today about it. will be very interesting to see where they hold it. CCM will be bringing a lot but if roar make it they'll only be bringing a few thou max.
as for the games what was sasho's weetbix sunday morning. why did we have to release him but keep the zdonk.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

veridis said:
there was meant to be an announcement today about it. will be very interesting to see where they hold it. CCM will be bringing a lot but if roar make it they'll only be bringing a few thou max.
as for the games what was sasho's weetbix sunday morning. why did we have to release him but keep the zdonk.
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing either the Jets or the Roar play in the GF. If the Roar made it, then obviously the Mariners would have the majority of supporters, but I think it'd be a lot of fun having the 'derby' in Sydney, and have fans from both teams make their way down on the train.

As for location, last I heard it was decided on the SFS. I don't think that's a bad move. Yeah, Sasho was on fire. But in the days leading up, he seemed really keen to come out and score some goals. In the end, I guess Mariners wanted the goals more, and the Jets seemed like they were too scared to attack, but weren't committed in defense either.

Waiting for Sunday Feb 24th.

sk1001

HSC

Will be at SFS. Roar to win it IMO.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

CC and Jets will pay the Gf. CC to win it.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

problem with the venue. a league at sfs will clash on the same day with cricket at the scg. serious staff strain.

sk1001

HSC

wuddie said:
problem with the venue. a league at sfs will clash on the same day with cricket at the scg. serious staff strain.
especially because they usually have to deal with the dismal ~13k average Sydney pulls...

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

i am sorry, did you go to the cricket last time? you sound like someone who knows what they are talking about...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)