The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

el gwapo

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

I chose ignore Ralf's comments. A load of hot air. He has spent about 10 seasons in F1 and a good amount of time in top teams, and he has only provided mid-season sparks his brother and Alonso make every race.

Anyway back to the Grand Prix. Kimi has always been fast in qualifying, this result is no surprise, last year he was really off the pace as the Mclaren was slow, and chose this further cover this up by loading up with the fuel. If Mclaren can last the 300km then I think a double-podium finish is possible, even a 1-2. The speed is there in the car, and no doubt in the drivers. Lewis is my bet for the race, it would be great to see a debutant race victory. His feats in GP2 last year was amazing, I don't know if you guys watched "Chasing the Dream" 4pm today, that was interesting, I've never seen Ron Dennis talk so much

But the surprise of the weekend has to be Super Aguri. It has owned Honda in all sessions. Davidson was a whisker away from the top 10 shootout.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Oh, man ... fourteenth. That's just abysmal. Honda, what did you spend your money on? You're not just behind the Toyotas, you're behind the Super Aguris. You're behind your own B-team ...

All is not lost, though. I might have to do a naked rain dance tonight (since it's St. Pat's Day, everyone will just assume I'm drunk), but if we get rain or a drying track, JB is in with a chance. After all, he was fifth fastest in the first session when the track was drying (Barichello was also quicker than Davidson, so Honda weren't completley humiliated by Super Aguri) and he won in Hungary last year under similar circumstances. But to the boys (and girls) at Honda, get the next upgrade out the door as fast as humanly possible.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

hamilton's pretty good :)

future star i reckon.

bizadfar

HSC

Komit said:
Wait at the entrance to the paddock in the mornings and at the end of the day. By the end of the weekend you'll get pretty much every driver's autograph - plus you get to hang out with the F1 hardcores and random weirdos like myself.
Why would i need to do that, when wearing a EMC corporate shirt :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Back :D

Never thought I'd say this, but the Renaults, Mclarens and Hondas look absolutely stunning on the track :)

Oh, I narrowly missed out on getting Sato's autograph too Jas. Take your pick between Kimi, Massa, Wurz, Rosberg, Webber, Heidfeld and Kubica instead :D

Fantastic to see Kimi win on debut with Ferrari, it looked like a walk in the park for him :)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

In that respect - Kimi winning - it was kind of boring. But elsewhere, it was awesome, especially with Lewis Hamilton. Kovalainen was a bit of a disappointment, but let's hope his poor showing was down to nerves. Who would have thought Super Aguri would be so good? I hope Honda get their aero issues sorted, and soon. It would be humiliating to be defeated by their B-team.

In fact, Honda are probably up for Reject of the Race over at F1Rejects.com ... but I'd be more inclined to give it to Spyker. I know it sounds like I'm a JB/Honda fanboy, but at least the Japanese team got both their cars home (and JB wasn't too bad in the wet). Spyker, on the other hand, underwent their third livery and fourth name change in as many months and ran Bridgestones last year, and yet that still couldn't stop Albers from nerfing Davidson. His excuse? "I was distracted with the earpiece" (read: forgot the corner was coming up because I was talking with my team). Just as bad as Fisichella's "I did it deliberately" excuse for his first-corner spin (and subsequent pile-up) at Istanbul last year ...

bizadfar

HSC

ObjectsInSpace said:
In that respect - Kimi winning - it was kind of boring. But elsewhere, it was awesome, especially with Lewis Hamilton. Kovalainen was a bit of a disappointment, but let's hope his poor showing was down to nerves. Who would have thought Super Aguri would be so good? I hope Honda get their aero issues sorted, and soon. It would be humiliating to be defeated by their B-team.
He(kov) looks like a really confident guy. If it was anything, it would've been a bit of cockyness.

Super Aguri are good because they can develop a car better than Honda, barge boards, sidepods, front wing.

Honda's current problem isn't really aero, but the rear suspension and tyre usage. Maybe another 2003.

THe race itself was shit boring lol. A train for numerous laps. 2 Honda, Ferrari, Red Bull that train was getting so boring. ANd as soon as Raikkonen opened that gap in the early stages of the first stint, pretty confident I'd be getting $95 back from the TAB :)
It was just to be there and hear the V8s for the first time. Well the sound is not so good lol.

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Honda are also promising new aero package. Best to keep an eye on both teams.

bizadfar

HSC

Ferrari new rear wing, more like an ant eater design (similar to old renault one of 2005 i think)
And Red Bull have moved the mirror position back to "old" style = odd. Driver view, or no CFD/aero gain? Obviously, Ferrari/Renault gained aero efficiency from it.

bizadfar

HSC

Well, we heard all the rumours, now it's official. No TC in 2008. Gee thats bad for Ferrari. It seems their car, they have worked on TC systems alot. Probably benefit Renault off the bat.

Shame Schumacher wasn't still driving in 2008. He'd blitz everyone. Can't get over watching his 2001 hotlaps/pole laps before spain. (except monaco, damn that lap was hot)

They are keeping the cars the same width and allowing changes to engine components including: clutch, trumpet tray, hydraulic pumps, injection systems, alternators, fuel pumps, oil pumps, water pumps, exhaust systems, electronic sensors, electrical looms and spark plugs.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

The likes of Barichello and Albers are going to have to change their driving styles ... but will they still be around in 2008? Barichello's past his prime and Albers' stupid rookie mistake in melbourne will cost him.

But I can only see the banning of traction control as a good thing. I'd like to see semi-automatic gearboxes go as well, but I doubt a manual transmission is going to be totoally practical.

bizadfar

HSC

ObjectsInSpace said:
The likes of Barichello and Albers are going to have to change their driving styles ... but will they still be around in 2008? Barichello's past his prime and Albers' stupid rookie mistake in melbourne will cost him.

But I can only see the banning of traction control as a good thing. I'd like to see semi-automatic gearboxes go as well, but I doubt a manual transmission is going to be totoally practical.
Barichello? Are you kidding? Is a heavy foot now? lol

Have you seen the amazing things he did with the stewert in the 1990s and in 2000 with ferrari. Yea outclassed by Schumi, but that was his prime i reckon. Doesn't mean he can't drive without TC.

bizadfar

HSC

I've seen every single lap of the 2006 season (except ad breaks lol) and except the first 10 of USA. But as every year goes, I still download the race for collection and the full onboard races. What surprised the crap out of me was how next to no TC was kicking in for Kimi at Monaco. The guy is a genius in straightening out corners and mashing the throttle just like Michael.

ohdato

HSC

Bizadfar, Where you downloading races?

That Ferrari - Shell effort is amazing fucking love the late 60s Ferrari :D.

bizadfar

HSC

Well FP1 in just under 2hours. Keep an eye on Kimi for Friday and Saturday. See what they do about that engine.

bizadfar

HSC

Just as I'd thought in testing. Ferrari would hammer that engine, loosen some water hose. Let it leak a bit for a few laps. Overheat it somewhat, measure the piston/chambers deformation. See it's negligible and made their decision today that NO ENGINE CHANGE FOR RAIKKONEN.

bizadfar

HSC

No comments? Cape shocked ? muahahhaa.

Last edited:

ohdato

HSC

Yes theres a lack of postage in here. Mclaren has stepped up big.
Hami while he was under pressure and had some moments with
lock ups he out classed Massa.

New soft bridgy tyres are better with the strip also a good indicator of how the degrade. At one point they were in confusion if Hamilton had Soft fronts and Hard rears because the white band had gone...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)