• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The effect the depression had on Democracy in Germany up till 1934 (1 Viewer)

crystel_angel

HSC
Hey guys
This is the assesment task my teacher gave me. We only got a weeks notice and im so stuck as i missed heaps of classes due to illness. Im pretty sure it was a question in the 2003 HSC but i cant find the standards package for it anywhere. Does anyone have any notes on this that i could use or any idea where to get the standards package???

rama_v

HSC
Im not sure but in any case you would be better off formulating your own argument...
You would have to make an assessment as to the extent that the effects of the depression had on democracy in Germany. You would probably have to look into:
- The economic troubles caused by the depression. Germany was hit severley because even in 1924-1928, the Stresemann era, they were "dancing on a volcano" or so to speak. Bascially they had created an impression of security by funding public projects by virtue of HUGE loans from the US. When the US cut the loand after the depression hit Germany was almost bankrupt, and thus unemployment soared
- Because the people became dissatisfied with the government (obviosuly since they had little or no jobs and money) they turned to the extremist parties (liek teh KPD and the Nazis)
- Thus democracy was affected since the majority of the support of the people lied with those who directly opposed the Weimar Republic.
- The democracy was unable to pass laws to attempt to reduce the impact of the depression mainly due to the system of power adn the problems caused by the constitution (talk about proportional representation and article 48 etc., and how it was abused particulalry later on).
- The depression was in fact a blessing for the very large companies (i..e cartels) who created a monopoly for themselves. Since they ferared teh workers they leaned towards the right, hence they supported Hitler.
- Thus when the Nazis gained greatly in the elections in 1933 (i think they were early in 1933, and they had 37% of the vote) democracy was almost over. Teh subsequent poltical manoevring by ppl like von Papen and Schelicher had just about destroyed democracy, as the power in Germany was hled by a few shady individuals who had very close ties with the senile President.
- you would also talk about how the depression was teh catalyst for the beginning of teh end for the republic more than the root cause. This was yet another example of teh Weimar Republic failing to tackle problems, leaving people dissatisfied with the system of government. Also due to teh lack of tradition and hostile anti-republic sentiment it was almost inevitable that the Weimar Republic would collapse. (though this is debateable)

I hope these points help :)

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
That's funny, I'm doing the excact same question on Thursday.
You wouldn't happen to be either Sarah, Kerensa, or Emily would you? haha..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)