The Effect of Concentration on the rate of an electrolytic process (1 Viewer)

cjordan

HSC
So i have an upcoming assessment where i have to investigate The Effect of Concentration on the rate of an electrolytic process.
To do this i will be setting up two cells, each with copper electrodes, and sopper sulphate solution as the electrolyte, however one cell will have a lower concentration of electrolyte.
The problems are;
  • How long do i let the electrolysis run for?
  • What voltage should i set the powerpack to?
  • AND What concentration pf electrolyte do i have in the second cell (the first cell will have a concentration of 1mol/dm3)
the aim of this is to minimise the error due to measurement by obtaining a significant mass change at the electrodes in a relatively short time.

Also what would be a suitable control experiment for this investigation?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Last edited:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I'm guessing you'd have to keep the voltage low (for both, obviously), so that the mass change at electrode could be measured more accurately?

And obviously, the concentration of the second cell would be higher/lower. Either one would work, as long as you identify which of the two cells contain the more dilute solutions.

cjordan

HSC
how low a voltage do you mean?2V?
Any idea how long i should let it run for?, conisdering i have about 1.5 hours to do the experiment, and write it up

cjordan

HSC
does anyone have any ideas on this?
I am still unsure about the control experiment, and whether or not having electrodes, adequete/appropriate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)