The Economist (1 Viewer)

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
Has anyone subscribed to or regularly read The Economist (magazine)? Is it useful? not sure if it's an overrated quote: In the words of a previous editor, The Economist is for readers;

"...with higher than average incomes, better than average minds, but with less than average time."

Or in the words of Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle;

"...I used to think.
Now I just read the Economist."

It may be the most erudite publication on the planet.

is it that good for somebody studying economics or any commerce/ business course?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Stop quoting the StudentMagazines propaganda. :p

Anyway, I read it from time to time (last copy I bought was about two weeks ago, flying to Perth). It's definitely superior to other news magazines (notably its American competitor, TIME) but for the cost I don't think it's really worth subscribing to just for the sake of "being an economist reader". Definitely not as a student at least.

If you have a genuine interest in the reporting of the Economist, it can't be missed. However, if reading the Economist is just the venture of an eager student aching to break into the business world...well, the piles of unread magazines on the floor will quickly show you how much money you've wasted.

mischaa

HSC
N/A
My family subscribe to the Economist. You learn interesting things from reading it like Afganistan is the produce something like 75% of the world's Opium supply.

They have a Big Mac Index to show whether a currency is over or under valued. They now have the Tall Latte Index.

Most of the time, its a good read when yo have nothing else to do.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
oh ok.. well how does it compare with Ross Gittens (Economics editor for SMH)articles?

well, i really like economics and love to learn about things concerning the world, so perhaps I buy a few issues before i subscribe. then again, i doubt i'd have the time to read through it. It's sort of exclusive too isnt it? Not all newsagencies have it apparently...

davey336

HSC
Yeah not every newsagency sells it, which is a real sh!t. I'm from the sticks (near Newcastle), and only about one newsagent sells it out of five in my local area alone. That said, the chance it's sold in your local area is directly proportional to the IQ/income levels of your area. In Sydney, I guess you can pick it up anywhere.

I enjoy reading it, and yes, it is far superior to other news magazines. However, don't buy it expecting it to be all economics and business stuff. It's basically a normal news magazine, there's sections for science and books, for example

Davey

aditya

HSC
imho, ross gittens is overated - i mean hes mad for the hsc.... but he repeats himself as in stories and well.... i dno.... a bit opinionised...

emi ye

Ross Gittens articles are more based on the Australian economy and all the stuff we did in HSC Economics so it was easier to understand for me. However, the Economist magazine is more global and although it's not had to understand, I can't relate to some stuff because I don't really have the background knowledge.

Unless you have all the background info about every country in the world, then subscribe! Otherwise just read all the free articles on the net! o^^o

Kierkegaard

HSC
Shoddy economics.

You're better off reading the Mogambo Guru

So as the attendants are now trying to break down the door to get at me while simultaneously trying to calm the other inmates who have come out of their rooms to see what all the ruckus is about, I grab the calculator and quickly clear out the old numbers. With a haste born of fear, I divide Mr. Noland's $1.927 trillion by the 130 million of us that have jobs, and I get the incredible number that $14,823.08 per worker was borrowed and spent per year!

As I later told the intake officer as I struggled to breath while tightly strapped into this straight jacket, I seem to remember running down the street screaming "The economy is shrinking! The economy is shrinking!" although I could not explain why crime-scene photos show me wearing nothing but an Attend adult diaper and a pair of ladies red stiletto high heel shoes. But that is not important, and I am trying to get them to focus, focus, focus, instead on the fact that I was heroically trying to hold back the Demons of Destruction with a machine gun that I, you know, just happened to see lying around the house, although I have no idea whose it is, or how it got in my house, and I cannot explain why there are nobody else's fingerprints on it but mine. But I figured it was worth a try to take that mysterious machinegun and attempt to heroically fight the raging monetary demons that were swirling around us, instead of taking it directly to the police station to turn it in like any law-abiding citizen would do, and which I was going to do later. And I seem to recall that sirens were wailing, as through a fog, and there were these flashing red and blue lights everywhere, and people were shouting, and there were voices in my head commanding me to consume delicious chocolate confections, especially the kind with nuts, and how everything was spinning, spinning, spinning.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
thanx for the reply guys!

i just popped by my newsagency today and they had it.. and it was $8!! shocked for a moment, but then i remembered that Cleo and Cosmo (shoddy sex bibles with lots of pretty colours) were around $6. So i spose $8 for something of higher intellectual stimulation would be a good spend.

Where are the free articles online? I cant seem to find them..

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
Kierkegaard ur funny. hehe, is it just me, or do i NOT have the mental capability to relate real economics to the except from that guru book? half a sentence of that except relates to economics but besides that...a load of... yea...

[[Power of One is a lot more entertaining than that except!]] =p

stamos

sellout
HSC
don't buy it from a newsagency, you get fat discounts with studentsonline

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
how do i buy it from studentsonline? i'm not even admitted into uni yet. and don't they require a credit card for u to buy it online? hmm.. online purchases with a credit card... i think it lacks security.

how much would it cost from studentsonline?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I would never advise relying on one news source whatever it may be as your first and last stop when trying to understand the world and whats happening/happened/going to happen in it. Read lots compare/contrast.

Oh if your're really tight the uni library or local library can prob get it in for you and that wouldnt cost you a cent. - let alone 800.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
yes yes of course we can't just rely on one source... i mean... we can all rely on A Current Affair or Today Tonight... but after studying Frontline.. hehehe! enough said!

just that i've heard The Economist is very good. and i'd like to be more knowledgeable of the world issues and politics as well as the world economy. =)

**decides to be tight by going to the library** =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)