The Door Small Answer Help (1 Viewer)

bMaN oNe

HSC
Hi Guys, last hr i just made a small practice essay for section III, and just like if someone would help me with "The Door", here's what i've got so far:
In M. Holub's The Door change is said to be an action of which you should undertake. Need help with this intro :confused:
The poem is comprised of 5 stanza's, each beginning with "Go and Open the Door". This suggests to take action towards change, and have a different view.
It is said that change is uncertain "Maybe outside there's...", Whether the outcome of the change be simple "...a tree...", The building blocks to something bigger "...or a wood...", something pleasant "...or a garden...", or ultimately something completely different to what would be expected "...or a magic city..."

Here i wish to talk about the following, but do not understand what this part of the poem is talking about:
Go and open the door.
Maybe a dog's rummaging.
Maybe you'll see a face,
or an eye,
or a picture
of a picture.

Holub also states that no matter what the outcome of the change, for good or for bad, it at first may seem uncertain whether the change is desirable, or undesiable, but over time it will eventually become clear "If there's a fog, it will clear"
No matter how insignifacant the change may seem to be, still undertake it. Holub says this, by suggesting that "Even if there's only darkness ticking, even if there's only hollow wind". This tells the reader that no matter how small or empty the outcome may seem, change should still be undertaken. Holub isolates 'nothing' in "even if nothing is there, go and open the door" to emphasise 'nothing' to the reader, giving it greater meaning.
Finally, in the last stanza, the length is reduced to 3 lines to give a sudden impact on the reader, concluding that after change there will always be something in the end "At least there'll be a draught".

Any reccomendations? Also, feel free to use this as help (Don't completely copy tho ;) ) as it's to help everyone (That's if any of it is even right :eek: )

up sh*t creek

i would just emphasise that even nothing has the potential to change. saying 'each beginning with "Go and Open the Door". '
could be said more clearly by saying the repitition of "go and open the door" at the beggining of each stanza suggest the individual must take the step towards the action for the change to occur.

I dont know if this has helpped you
Best of luck 4 tommorow!!

monkey187

God
HSC
fuck man how much are u writing on the door im just writting a pissy little paragraph

bMaN oNe

HSC
Originally posted by up sh*t creek
i would just emphasise that even nothing has the potential to change. saying 'each beginning with "Go and Open the Door". '
could be said more clearly by saying the repitition of "go and open the door" at the beggining of each stanza suggest the individual must take the step towards the action for the change to occur.

I dont know if this has helpped you
Best of luck 4 tommorow!!
Ahh k thats a good point, even nothing has potential to change. Yeh i thought that sentence was a bit sketchy, thanks for the help! I'm writing alot cause apparently u need atleast 3 pages for section III (that's what me teacher have told me) so i need to put as much in as i can :/

Anyways thanks for ya help, good luck tomorrow and the rest of the HSC :D

Btw, anyone else having a hell of a time posting/browsing, man traffic on this site must be huge, keep getting page cannot be displayed errors :mad:

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I hear you bMan one it is soo slow.

About your query of the dog rummaging... I think it is to do with that all change isn't a positive experience. The rest of it i.e. "a picture of a picture" But still it is just reinforcing the protagonist's desire for the responder to go and open that DANG door. You don't have to mention everything from the poem.
Good luck Bman!!

bMaN oNe

HSC
Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
I hear you bMan one it is soo slow.

About your query of the dog rummaging... I think it is to do with that all change isn't a positive experience. The rest of it i.e. "a picture of a picture" But still it is just reinforcing the protagonist's desire for the responder to go and open that DANG door. You don't have to mention everything from the poem.
Good luck Bman!!
Yeh your right I won't worry too much about that part of the poem then. Besides, that part is really tricky. Cheers!

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by monkey187
fuck man how much are u writing on the door im just writting a pissy little paragraph
theres heaps u could write on the door

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Try to incorporate the ideas from The Door into the rest of your essay - it shows greater sophistication I guess
Ie. in my essay last year, I used ideas such as "the fog" from the Door and used this as a comparision to my prescribed text's main character who is uncertain of change etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)